LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Do you get very sick from drinking alcohol?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Do you get very sick from drinking alcohol?
Morgan100
Member # 10577

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Morgan100     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I went to a wedding last month and had 3 drinks over 6 hours, no big deal. The next morning, though, I threw up for 5 hours.

Tried again a few weeks later w/ 1/2 a beer and was hung over the next day?

I'm not on any medication right now, what's up with this??

Posts: 5 | From Somerset, NJ | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerryK
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 8552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is common in lyme patients. It was one of my first symptoms prior to a major relapse. I got totally drunk and sick on 1 glass of wine.

Not sure of all the reasons but I know alcohol has lots of sugar and Bb loves sugar. Also, alcohol dilates the blood vessels so those who have neurally mediated hypotension and/or POTS will have much worse problems with NMH and POTS. Some lyme patients have low blood volume. Less blood volume means that blood alcohol levels get much higer on the same amounts. Perhaps others will come by with more reasons. I gave up drinking years ago because I simply could not tolerate it.
Terry

Posts: 6286 | From Oregon | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kendrick
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10990

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kendrick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, no more college keg-stands for me. Not sure what happened, but I used to drink a lot(on weekends) and I started a new job that had a sick building(toxic mold).

I showed up for Lyme, which doctor thinks 'went wild' after being in the sick building. Prior to that I would drink.

--------------------
Never walk through a cornfield backwards.

About me(Yahoo): http://360.yahoo.com/profile-NR1Y8cw6fqhtrewwItSlfsgQDIhaOojd

Posts: 315 | From Florida | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
panicbegone
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10760

Icon 1 posted      Profile for panicbegone     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ditto. this was a first symptom for me too.
Scared to touch the stuff now.

Posts: 160 | From california | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morgan100
Member # 10577

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Morgan100     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks guys. I guess I can add this to a list of my "possible Lyme" symptoms. Been having neuro problems for a year now, blurry vision occasionally, tingling/muscle aches in my arms and legs. Had 2 sets of MRIs for MS, but everything is normal. My ELISA for Lyme came back normal, but I was wondering if I should pursue it. The alcohol thing is fairly new.

Thanks for your feedback!

Posts: 5 | From Somerset, NJ | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
NO alcohol for me! Just doesn't compute with my body!!

The ELISA is worthless. Get tested through Igenex. [Western Blot]

Johns Hopkins.... testing for Lyme inadequate
http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=038973

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LisaS
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 10581

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LisaS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This was the first question I posted on Lymenet. You can find it if you do a search for alcohol.

But ya, i had to give up drinking too. Which is hard since I DJ on weekends at a bar.

But I ended up in the emergency room twice the day after I drank. I cant even explain how i felt, it was so horrible.

Not only does Lyme eat sugar and and alot of the ingrediants in beer, but then the alcohol kills

them. So I believe it is also a herx reaction from the alcohol killing them.

--------------------
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1660435643

Posts: 1078 | From Lake Geneva WI | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaliforniaLyme
Member # 7136

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CaliforniaLyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Patients with syphilis also have this. I believe there is an overlap with alcoholism & Lyme (I know I know I know everything is not Lyme just ALMOST everything*)!

I get VERY sick with alcohol so I don't drink anymore...*)!

--------------------
There is no wealth but life.
-John Ruskin

All truth goes through 3 stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer

Posts: 5639 | From Aptos CA USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
klutzo
Member # 5701

Icon 1 posted      Profile for klutzo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since getting sick, I can't even drink 1/4 inch of an alcoholic beverage without becoming overcome by nausea, dizziness, a heavy burning in my stomach and a feeling of unbearable heat in my head.

I think I read a post by Marnie once where she said that Bb converts sugars into ethanol. If this is true, then we are already drunk, and taking in more alcohol just adds insult to injury! Since I'm already drunk, it's no wonder my brain doesn't work right, and it explains why I'm such a .....

Klutzo [Big Grin]

Posts: 1269 | From Clearwater, Florida, USA | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kendrick
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10990

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kendrick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Klutzo: No wonder I had 6 sugars last night and started dancing on the tables...

I've always wondered why also.

--------------------
Never walk through a cornfield backwards.

About me(Yahoo): http://360.yahoo.com/profile-NR1Y8cw6fqhtrewwItSlfsgQDIhaOojd

Posts: 315 | From Florida | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SForsgren
Member # 7686

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SForsgren         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In my opinion, if you have Lyme and still drink, your chances of recovery are slim. Alcohol consumption is a significant no-no for those of us with Lyme disease.

--------------------
Be well,
Scott

Posts: 4617 | From San Jose, CA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aiden424
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7633

Icon 1 posted      Profile for aiden424     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I get really sick from alcohol too. I was fine with alcohol before Lyme.

Kathy

--------------------
You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.

Posts: 807 | From South Dakota | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cantgiveupyet
Member # 8165

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cantgiveupyet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A few nites after i got so sick, i had one drink and felt very drunk......dizziness increased...head pressure and just felt sick.

I wasnt sure what was going on.

I havent had a drink since that nite in 2005...and now because of my bladder i cant drink anyway, I would never want that dizzy sick feeling back, so very doubtful i would drink again.

sugar makes me sick too.......almost the same reaction.

--------------------
"Say it straight simple and with a smile."

"Thus the task is, not so much to see what no one has seen yet,
But to think what nobody has thought yet, About what everybody sees."

-Schopenhauer

pos babs, bart, igenex WB igm/igg

Posts: 3156 | From Lyme limbo | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hatsnscarfs
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6562

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hatsnscarfs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have not experienced this. I don't have any unusual effects from alcohol. I have cut way back on drinking but do drink occasionally AND I am getting better.

I am on the anti yeast diet & quit coffee & most caffeine.
hats

Posts: 956 | From MA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Myco
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9536

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Myco     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's called Porphria. Anyone with long term chronic infections have this problem.

Red Meat, dairy, caffeine, intense exercise also cause porphria.

You all should go to cpn.org. Really missing out on the best treatment.

Posts: 770 | From USA | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MagicAcorn
Member # 8786

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MagicAcorn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well it always starts off with a few pints with the folks from the office on a Friday night and then...

-

the next morning I wake up looking like this. That never used to happen from a couple of pints.

It must be the Lyme!

-

Posts: 1279 | From In hiding | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
5dana8
Member # 7935

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5dana8   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Acorn for your fab squirrels!! It always makes my day [Smile]

No alchol for me-it gives me incrediable headaches & flares my lyme symptoms. Not worth it.

--------------------
5dana8

Posts: 4432 | From some where over the rainbow | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MagicAcorn
Member # 8786

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MagicAcorn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dana,

I'm glad you like my squirrels. [Smile]

I have fun looking for them.

Acorn

--------------------
 -

Posts: 1279 | From In hiding | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smiles132002
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7949

Icon 1 posted      Profile for smiles132002     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can drink-but I get drunk really fast..I'm talking less than a beer and I'm not drunk I am WASTED!!! To the point that I black out and don't remember.

1/2 shot same thing

1/2 glass of wine-same thing

If I drink like 2 glasses of anything-forget it, I will be wasted for atleast 8 hours...

It doesn't make any sense but it's just the way it is...so perhaps one day I'll know how to do a keg stand (seeing as how I spent my 21st b-day in sick in bed)..but for now I'm gonna stick to virgin EVERYTHING!

Posts: 484 | From Burlingame, Ca | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaliforniaLyme
Member # 7136

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CaliforniaLyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In late stage alcoholism the heavy drinker tends to undergo something called Reverse Tolerance, where suddenly someone who used to get drunk after 8 shots of whiskey is drunk, really really drunk, after say, one shot.
The reason for this is the amount of alcohol in the bloodstream (BAC) that has not been processed by the liver because the liver has begun to fail/not work as well due to excessive and prolonged alcohol intake.

Of course, other facets of late stage alcoholism are denial and confabulation- so someone who is a late stage alcholic could very well attribute whatever symptoms they are having to Lyme disease.
I am NOT saying anyone on this thread is doing this. But you may know someone in your life who is. Here, where people HAVE a disease, someone could easily attribute these changes to Lyme.

But I do believe that Lyme can MAKE people alcoholics- so in a weird way I believe it CAN be from Lyme ultimately- effects- that are caused by alcoholism!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I took a few years of classes to train as a drug & alcohol counselor.

MOST IMPORTANT FACTS I LEARNED
in drug/alcohol classes:

* It takes only 6 months of abusive drinking to turn a person who is not physiologically an adult into an alcoholic- and it takes FOUR YEARS
of abusive drinking to turn an adult (who is not predisposed) into an alcoholic!!!

* If you have a series of blackouts you are an alcoholic and have begun to experience brain deterioration THAT WILL SHOW ON AUTOPSY! The difference between an abusive drinker and an alcoholic is blackouts.

* Women progress faster with alcohol problems than men due to differing physiological processes- so women develop alcohol problems full decades before men tend to...

Take care guys-
Sarah

[ 25. January 2007, 11:15 AM: Message edited by: CaliforniaLyme ]

--------------------
There is no wealth but life.
-John Ruskin

All truth goes through 3 stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer

Posts: 5639 | From Aptos CA USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gambler
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8441

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gambler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But I think the surest way for an alcoholic to stop drinking would be to get Lyme.

When everyday feels like the worst hangover of your life, and you are trying to get better, saying no to alcohol is easy.

When drinking can make you feel like your brain is splitting in two, on top of your everyday misery, saying no to alcohol is easy.

I think my friends finally began to understand that I was sick when I wouldn't drink. They were really impressed by the effort I was making to get well. I let them think that was an effort. Since they weren't with me when I dragged myself from dr. to dr. just to be told I was anxious and depressed.

gambler

Posts: 243 | From chicago | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wrotek
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5354

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wrotek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, i do get sick, more than 1 beer or one glass of wine has serious consequences next day brrr [Frown]
Posts: 636 | From Wroclaw, Poland | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aiden424
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7633

Icon 1 posted      Profile for aiden424     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No alchol for me-it gives me incrediable headaches & flares my lyme symptoms. Not worth it. [/QB][/QUOTE]

That's exactly what it does to me, and your right, it's not worth it.

Kathy

--------------------
You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.

Posts: 807 | From South Dakota | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beverly
Member # 1271

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beverly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Alcohol has always made me very sick, and I learned real quick I couldn't drink it. Yuck!

Love the pictures MagicAcorn! [Wink]

Posts: 6638 | From Michigan | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement