LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » IGENEX RESULTS ?????

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: IGENEX RESULTS ?????
6t5frlane
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8628

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 6t5frlane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Last spring I was CDC/Igenex pos on the IGM. Here are my latest results

IGM 41IND all others Neg
IGG 23-25-IND
31 +++
34+
30+
39+
41+
So Igenex Pos CDC Neg

LLMD wants to see me before decision to treat

Thoughts??

Posts: 355 | From NY | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
SHEESH!! Pretty dang positive in my book!

Western Blot explanation:
http://tinyurl.com/ffn3x

I can't believe that the CDC is that stupid, calling it negative. That's nuts!

23-25: Outer surface protein C (osp C).

30: Possibly a variant of outer surface protein A.

31: Outer surface protein A (osp A). 34: Outer surface protein B (osp B).

39: Unknown what this antigen is, but based on research at the National Institute of Health (NIH), other Borrelia (such as Borrelia recurrentis that causes relapsing fever), do not even have the genetics to code for the 39 kDa antigen, much less produce it. It is the most specific antibody for borreliosis of all.

41: Flagella or tail. This is how Borrelia burgdorferi moves around, by moving the flagella. Many bacteria have flagella. This is the most common borreliosis antibody.

from the above link,
"The significant antibodies, in my opinion, are the 18, 23-25, 28, 30, 31, 34, 39, 58, 66 and 93."

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My LLMD pointed to my band 31 with three plusses and said that having that many positives on that band means I have had it for a long time.

I agree with Lymetoo, it's a positive.

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 9 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
that is so disgusting having that many positives and being CDC NEGATIVE! [cussing] your lyme is still there.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
6t5frlane
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8628

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 6t5frlane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does this site have a " resident " LLMD that answers ???. When my LLMD called me ( DR C in Westchester NY)he did not seem convinced?? Seeing him next Thursday. I googlede around and have found much info on bands 30 and 31 leaning towards the Positive side of Lyme testing. Betty G you have posted a lot and are somwhat and " expert " here. What ? should I ask of the Dr.
Posts: 355 | From NY | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by 6t5frlane:
Does this site have a " resident " LLMD that answers ???.

No. Sorry.

I would ask him why he's not convinced when Igenex IS??

If he still thinks you're negative, give him a printed version of Dr C of MO's WB explanation. [in my post above]

If you will read the entire link....replies also...you'll see why we agree with Igenex.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
david1097
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 3662

Icon 1 posted      Profile for david1097     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I suspect the Dr wants to see you to discuss the treatment options. HE HAS TO DO THIS TO AVOID PROBLEMS. Basically you have to be informed of the two diagnostic and treatment approaches so you can make an informed decision.
Posts: 1184 | From north america | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

I googled around and have found much info on bands 30 and 31 leaning towards the Positive side of Lyme testing.

Betty G you have posted a lot and are somwhat and " expert " here. What ? should I ask of the Dr.

6-5, thank you for the wonderful compliment but i'm far from an expert! I've just touched the surace of learning after 2.5+ yrs. reading on this board.

OUR good friend, TUTU, is the one i've really learned from with her posting dr. c's EXPLANATION OF WESTERN BLOT IGM/IGG blood tests.

her above link should be the same as what is in my newbie's links/advise i've sent you and thousands of others!

i need to read it better and refresh my lyme brain! [Frown]

there are many experts on this board who share freely their vast knowledge from personal experience.

did you print off dr. burrascano's 05 lyme guidelines? read that again; perhaps it will answer some of your questions, and then you can discuss with YOUR LLMD next week! best wishes on getting your lyme under control 6-5! [Big Grin]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michelle M
Member # 7200

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michelle M   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

IGM 41IND all others Neg
IGG 23-25-IND
31 +++
34+
30+
39+
41+
So Igenex Pos CDC Neg

Thoughts??

I also have 31+++, only on IgM. It's a band that shows up most reliably in late stage or entrenched lyme.

Have you been treating since last blot, or what?

I agree that the LLMD won't and shouldn't diagnose you without seeing you, no matter how many positives you have. But I bet it will be a whole 'nuther story when you do see him next week.

Keep us posted.

Michelle

Posts: 3193 | From Northern California | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
6t5frlane
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8628

Had 8 weeks Doxy in May......Back in 1990 was treated with 2 weeks Ceftrioxne ( spelling ? )Was diagnosed with RA instead. Have been checked several times over the years with Western Blots ..neg....July 05 new symptoms came back . Last spring I was CDC/Igenex NY Positive on the IGM
treepatrol
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 4117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for treepatrol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
you have lyme

--------------------
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
Remember Iam not a Doctor Just someone struggling like you with Tick Borne Diseases.

Newbie Links

Posts: 10564 | From PA Where the Creeks are Red | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

quote:
Originally posted by Michelle M:
[QUOTE]I agree that the LLMD won't and shouldn't diagnose you without seeing you, no matter how many positives you have. But I bet it will be a whole 'nuther story when you do see him next week.

I think that's it. Let us know how it goes.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

6t5frlane
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8628

Thought I would add the Igenex tests from 2/15/06

IGM
23-25++
39+
41+
66+
93+
34IND
93+
This is a CDC -Igenex and NY Positive
IGG- All Neg except 41 IND

On 5/19/06 ( Quest )
Neg on western Blot both IGG and IGM ( no bands shown )
but positive on the "Elisa "
The range there was
Reactive cutoff0.163
Borderline cutoff 0.128
I was 0.259

Why the big change between last year and this year. Scared right now, I have a lot of faciculations ( muscle twitches ) especially in the calfs. I just got done doing some snowblowing and my legs are so weak I can hardly stand. I've had 3 EMG the last was July 06 Normal but worried about als and ms sice my symptoms are worse. I know many here think " LYME " causes just about everything but want an open mind. I also have a very positive RA Factor with arthritis since 1990.......Help please

Lymetoo
Member # 743

The best help I can give you is to tell you to get treated ASAP!! There would be nothing lost by being treated, and everything to LOSE if you don't.

Hang in there!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

6t5frlane
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8628

Thanks Lyme too
Geneal
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 10375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geneal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was possible that you are positive on the WB from Igenex and weren't positive from Quest WB because they are not known for being a lab of choice for Lyme testing.

Is it possible that Quest did such a horrible job (plus they don't test all the bands) and you have actually had Lyme?

Just a thought.

Geneal

Posts: 6250 | From Louisiana | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Forgot to say about test differences... IF you took the test again tomorrow, it would be slightly different again.

Remember....human beings are reading the intensities of the bands....and what's in your blood is always changing.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

6t5frlane
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8628

Does any Dr put any stock in the Elisa tests?? Heard they are very unreliable
6t5frlane
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8628

Anybody on the Elisa ?????
nancyb
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10154

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nancyb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think anyone replied to your first question about the ELISA because we thought you could hear the laughing from all over the world.

What I can tell you is that Lyme does not exist in Canada. This is not because we don't allow ticks to cross the border - it's because we use an ELISA to test.

The only way to get a western blot here is to have a positive ELISA first. And that just doesn't happen.

--------------------
The Canadian Lyme Disease Foundation www.canlyme.com

Posts: 128 | From Canada | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
6t5frlane
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8628

My point was that I had a Positive Elisa test and wanted to know how reliable that was
Lymetoo
Member # 743

It's about 30% accurate at best.

Johns Hopkins.... testing for Lyme inadequate
http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=038973

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

nancyb
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10154

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nancyb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WOW! A positive Elisa. So it does happen?

Do you know how long you have been infected? I've heard it's better at detecting earlier infections as opposed to chronic or recurring infections.

I'd say that you can take that positive Elisa to the bank (or at least a doctor).

--------------------
The Canadian Lyme Disease Foundation www.canlyme.com

Posts: 128 | From Canada | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
6t5frlane
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8628

So I guess a Neg or a Pos does not mean much...at least with the Elisa. I wonder why he did it then?
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Is it a duck or an LLMD who ran the ELISA??? Ducks still think they are valid tests. I agree with Nancy that you can take that positive ELISA to the bank. If you're positive on an ELISA, then you probably have lyme, in my non-medical opinion.

When do you see the LLMD??

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

6t5frlane
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8628

He is a LLMD. See him on Thursday
6t5frlane
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8628

P.S. Why take it to the bank if it's only 30% accurate????
bpeck
Member # 3235

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bpeck     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

IGM 41IND all others Neg
IGG 23-25-IND
31 +++
34+
30+
39+
41+
So Igenex Pos CDC Neg

Thoughts??

_____________________________________________-

Assuming you have a healthy (not suppressed for any reason) immune system:
IgM antibodies can spike anytime when Lyme bacteria gets out into the blood.. and if the bacteria is there for over 3 months (which is the life-span of an IgM antibody) IgG antibodies will start to be made as the IgM die out.

So.. it's my guess, that your LLMD may decide not to give you abx if you are symptom free - or are becoming symptom free...
If you have symptoms, then I think he'll continue abx.

Those are my thoughts anyway.
Barb

Posts: 1875 | From VT | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

quote:
P.S. Why take it to the bank if it's only 30% accurate????

Because they are known for their false NEGATIVES, not false POSITIVES. A positive is somewhat rare.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

6t5frlane
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8628

Saw Dr C in Westchester NY. Looked at all my labs since last year and going on Doxy again 3x daily for 4 weeks and see him again. He wants to treat but is not 100% convinced it's Lyme. A wait and see again. I met a woman in the waiting room IV since last year and getting better. She was Very messed up with Neuro problems and knows of a another Woman that probably will Die from Lyme. Very Sick..Scary Stuff people
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Man, what does it take to convince this LLMD???? I never heard of such. Oh well....as long as he treats for this "mystery illness" with Lyme specific bands.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

6t5frlane
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8628

Lyme too.....I often hear the term Lyme specific bands, Could these bands be an indicator for anything else???
Lymetoo
Member # 743

quote:
Lyme too.....I often hear the term Lyme specific bands, Could these bands be an indicator for anything else???

This band FOR SURE could be NOTHING else.....and "Lyme Specific" means JUST THAT!

39: Unknown what this antigen is, but based on research at the National Institute of Health (NIH), other Borrelia (such as Borrelia recurrentis that causes relapsing fever), do not even have the genetics to code for the 39 kDa antigen, much less produce it. It is the most specific antibody for borreliosis of all.

Having that band alone means that you have Lyme ... in my experienced opinion.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

6t5frlane
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8628

Been on Doxy for a short time now. Man I'm dead tired and weak. A Herx ?? Mucsle twitches all over and I feel like I have the flu. ( no flu though )
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Yep, sure sounds like it! How long have you been taking the doxy?

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

6t5frlane
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8628

I think Feb 25
6t5frlane
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8628

Lymetto why do you ask....Starting to think I may have a thyroid problem as wellt
Lymetoo
Member # 743

quote:
Lymetto why do you ask....Starting to think I may have a thyroid problem as wellt

??????

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think thyroid problems are uncommon in Lyme Disease. Sounds like a herx to me ... I get dead tired where I can hardly hold my head up. Hubby has to take over all the cooking on those days!

--------------------

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
6t5frlane
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8628

Lymettoo...You asked me how long I had been on Doxy
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Duh! [Big Grin]

My ??? was for the thyroid question. The "how long" was figuring out if it was a herx.

Welcome to Herxland, where everyone is Unhappy!! Or HAPPY they have a diagnosis! [Wink]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

6t5frlane
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8628

Lymettoo.Thanks for the welcome to herx land. Do I get any goodies ??? Any tokens or free passes....lol
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

No free goodies in Herxland, just lots of naps!

--------------------

Lymetoo
Member # 743

quote:
Lymettoo.Thanks for the welcome to herx land. Do I get any goodies ??? Any tokens or free passes....lol

To provide you with transportation to herx land: [Big Grin]

-

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement