LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Is ONE lyme specific Band enough??

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Is ONE lyme specific Band enough??
Jon
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9123

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If logic prevails wouldn't only 1 lyme specific positive band be ENOUGH to diagnose lyme disease?

Isn't some of the bands only specific to the lyme disease causing borellia?

My IGM:

23-25 IND
39 IND
30 +
45 +
66 ++
93 +

I know that 93 is specific. So how else could it become positive if I didn't have borellia specific antibodies?

Thus the conclusion = 100% likely hood I have lyme disease? It seems illogical to think otherwise. [loco]

Posts: 170 | From Vancouver | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisianthus
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6631

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lisianthus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You have more then ONE lyme specific band.

You also have 23-25 & 39 EVEN if they are IND it doesn't mean that they are negitive. Plus when you go on abx it can bring out the infection and you will get more positive bands.

My opinion you got it!

--------------------
yahoo 360 http://360.yahoo.com/my_profile-UqSNGiA9crUMRW.lFNGN5Jk-?cq=1

Posts: 986 | From Michigan | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SForsgren
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 7686

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SForsgren         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You have 23-25, 30 , 39

I see that as three. This to me is enough to pursue further. Get a CD57 and coinfection testing.

--------------------
Be well,
Scott

Posts: 4617 | From San Jose, CA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerryK
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 8552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had 93 show up on my IgM and my very knowlegable LLMD stated that it was VERY specific to lyme.

Even Steere (from the IDSA ilk) states that 93 is very specific to lyme because it NEVER shows up in controls. See page 2.
http://www.fda.gov/ohrms/dockets/ac/01/slides/3680s2_11.pdf

That said, you can be negative for all bands and still have lyme. This has been proven beyond a doubt by the fact that a mother who was sero-negative gave birth to a dead baby who had borrelia in it's organs. I believe there are other studies that show seronegative lyme infection.

Lyme is a clinical diagnosis and only a qualified LLMD can tell you if you have lyme or not. In my non-medical opinion, I'd say band 93 means that you have it.
Terry

Posts: 6286 | From Oregon | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trueblue
Member # 7348

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trueblue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jon,
I was treated initially based on a WB IgG with just band 34 positive and a multitude of symptoms.

It was quite sometime ago but my test became more positive with treatment.

--------------------
more light, more love
more truth and more innovation

Posts: 3783 | From somewhere other than here | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9123

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Terry, In your link it gives reference to the igG, not igM. Do the bands in both detect the same antibodies? FOr some reason I remember reading that the IGM is less credible than the IGG, can anyone clarify this?

I dont think band 30 is lyme specific.
What is CD57??

I am going to send more samples to Igenex. I'm going to try the Complete lyme test, and the completely Co-Infection test. Stupid test kit will probably take a week to come in, I might try and send it without their test kit to save time.

On a plus note I just bought a coconut and I will drink/eat it shortly. [lol]

Posts: 170 | From Vancouver | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trueblue
Member # 7348

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trueblue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's a link to Lymetoo's post about WBs. Lots of good stuff there including a breakdown on the bands/weights. (I think 30 is a possible variant of osp A)

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=042077#000000

Enjoy the coconut; good luck getting it open. [Smile]

--------------------
more light, more love
more truth and more innovation

Posts: 3783 | From somewhere other than here | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerryK
Member # 8552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jon, 93 showed up on my IgM too and my LLMD said that it was significant. My understanding is that the significant bands apply to both the IgG and IgM but I don't know that for a fact.
Terry

Posts: 6286 | From Oregon | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerryK
Member # 8552

From the link that trueblue posted:

"Response to antibiotics is the same if either is positive, or both. Some antibodies against the borrelia are given more significance if they are IgG versus IgM, or vice versa.

Since this is a chronic persistent infection, this does not make a lot of sense to me. A newly formed Borrelia burgdorferi should have the same antigen parts as the previous bacteria that produced it."

Sounds like it's a matter of opinion although Dr. C makes sense logically to me.

Jon
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9123

I just read through that thread.
If what he's saying is true it answered almost all of my questions!!
It's interesting he says that bands 66 and 30 are also specific to lyme. Since both those came out positive for me...

I just picked up more antibiotics today, according to him I should not take any? Since I planned on having my blood drawn a week from now and shipped to Igenex. Abx stays in our system 10 days after we take it?

That coconut was divine. After some failed attempts I actually got a power drill and drilled a hole through it for easy juice access.
More refreshing than water. I will slowly eat the meat as the evening progresses.
[woohoo] [lol] [lol] [lol] [lol]

SForsgren
Member # 7686

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SForsgren         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
30 is also documented by Dr J as Lyme specific. CD57 and Bb bands are mentioned on my web site under "Testing".

--------------------
Be well,
Scott

Posts: 4617 | From San Jose, CA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement