LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Any alternatives to doxy or mino for summer months?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Any alternatives to doxy or mino for summer months?
Geneal
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 10375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geneal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good morning all.

It is already reaching into the 80's here (temp wise).

The sun is beginning to blaze!!! I even got burned a little yesterday with 50spf on.

I think that is due to the bactrim I am taking.

I cannot take mino----allergic and severe vertigo.

I will end up with 2nd or 3rd degree burns if I do doxy over the summer.

I have two small children who live outside during the summer.

With normal summer temps in the middle 90's with 80-90% humidity I would probably have heat stroke

if I wore long sleeves, long pants and gloves.

Any suggestions for alternative antibiotics to target Lyme during the summer?

Thank you in advance for any advice or suggestions.

Hugs,

Geneal

Posts: 6250 | From Louisiana | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Biaxin!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vermont_Lymie
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 9780

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vermont_Lymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi

I am on high dose amoxicillin.

It does kill the chetes and there is no sun sensitivity with amoxy.

You would need to take lots of probiotics with amoxy. I am also taking the Buhner protocol, except for cats claw (which for some reason does not agree with me).

Might be good for the summer months when staying out of the sun is not an option.

In my experience, the higher dose works better. I was on 3-4 g/day (weigh 135 lbs) for several months, and that helped, but not with persistent neuro symptoms. Now on about 9g/day (half in AM and half in PM), which is having a more powerful effect in getting rid of lyme symptoms (or I should say had, as I'm not sure this week if I am herxing or relapsing!).

take care!

[ 23. March 2007, 11:20 AM: Message edited by: Vermont_Lymie ]

Posts: 2557 | From home | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was wondering this, too, as I feel better when I'm getting some fresh air and sunshine. I'm already taking Biaxin and Omnicef with the Doxy.

Several years ago I was pregnant and took my umbrella to watch my kids play softball because I get heat exhaustion so easily when I'm pregnant. All the other people were out there pulling up their sleeves to get tan.

The following week, there were dozens of umbrellas! I was a trendsetter. I think I'll do the same this summer. I hope pale is in. [Wink]

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
karatelady
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7854

Icon 1 posted      Profile for karatelady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I didn't want to stay out of the sun all summer either taking Doxy.

I tried Biaxin as TuTu suggested but it left such an awful metallic taste in my mouth.

So my doc put me on Zithromax together with Ceftin. It was pretty strong so I halved it for awhile and that helped until I could ramp up.

I'm not using abx now but if I ever did go back, it would definitely be Zithromax.

Hope you find what you need,

Sandy

Posts: 686 | From Northeast Georgia | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
karatelady
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7854

Icon 1 posted      Profile for karatelady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

I tried Biaxin as TuTu suggested but it left such an awful metallic taste in my mouth. Others do swear by it though.

So my doc put me on Zithromax together with Ceftin. It was pretty strong so I halved it for awhile and that helped until I could ramp up.

I'm not using abx now but if I ever did go back, it would definitely be Zithromax.

Sandy

Posts: 686 | From Northeast Georgia | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
karatelady
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7854

I tried Biaxin as TuTu suggested but it left such an awful metallic taste in my mouth.

Sandy

Cobweb
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was just wondering the same Geneal. Doxy ws not an issue for me last summer. But now I am on the Rocephin and Doxy-and about to head out to my daughter's soccer game-it''s overcast though- does that make a difference?
Does an umbrella count as shade?
I ws also thinking of a long sleeved gauze shirt to wear over whatever else i wear in summer-as it is a season of soccer and softball for us.

Gotta go for now-will touch base later.
Carol

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James H
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6380

Icon 1 posted      Profile for James H     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tetracycline would be another possible alternative. In fact, a couple of the well known LLMD's have expressed a preference for it.
Posts: 714 | From San Antonio TX | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cobweb:
it''s overcast though- does that make a difference?
Does an umbrella count as shade?

If the umbrella blocks the sunlight from you, it's shade. However, the sun can reflect off things so you should still wear sunscreen. This is especially true in a pool or on a beach.

My family is from Florida, so I've spent a lot of time there. The biggest mistake tourists make is to assume they're not getting sun on an overcast day. The UV rays still come through, but you don't get as hot, so you don't realize you are burning. Wear sunscreen on an overcast day!

This is my first time on doxy. How bad is it in the sun?

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geneal
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 10375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geneal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dear sixgoofykids,

Doxy is murder in the sun!!!!

It's not just that you burn, but it makes your skin tingle and hurt and feel like it is painfully on fire.

I didn't think about being on doxy when I made a trip to Texas last year. Six hours of driving.

My left hand on the steering wheel began to feel strange.

By the time 2 hours rolled by, I realized my hand was burned bad.

What to do? Had kids and Mom in car.

I took my shirt and pulled the sleeves down over my hand.

It hurt for several days.

Then all of the skin peeled off of it.

Lovely.

Last time I was on doxy and drove to LLMD, I did the Michael Jackson thing and wore one glove.

Be very careful of sun exposure on doxy. I wore 70 spf on my hands on last run of doxy and still

got burned.

Hugs,

Geneal

Posts: 6250 | From Louisiana | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annxyz
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9097

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Annxyz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the "NO AD " tanning lotion from Wal Mart is great ( not the dark though - the medium tone ) because you can look like you are not kin to Morticia Adams and not sit in the tanning bed or spend hours sunbathing .

It is cheap and if you put a little on after bathing , you look like a healthy but not like a fake look.

It is time to buy a new tube and maybe check out the other beauty products that help me look presentable ( even as a member of AARP) .

--------------------
ANNXYZ

Posts: 744 | From Mineola | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James H
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6380

Icon 1 posted      Profile for James H     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The reasoning of the LLMD who was a recent ILADS President on using Tetracycline instead of Doxy or Mino in many cases...

1) Tetracycline dies not usually cause the photosensitivity problems like Doxy.

2) Tetracycline is less toxic than its other two cousins.

3) People can usually tolerate it better as far as gastric distress problems are concerned.

4) It is true that Tetracycline does not have as much activity gram for gram than the other two or cross the BBB as readily... But the fact that you can take so much higher of a dose balances out most of that disadvantage.

(From a recent presentation he gave on research into the evidence linking Lyme and MS.)

It is also one of the least expensive antibiotics on the planet.

A disadvantage is that it has to be taken more often, and should be taken separately from food for best absorbtion.

Just a little clarification on my brief comment above.

Posts: 714 | From San Antonio TX | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James H
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6380

Not everyone seems to have the sunburn problems with Doxy. I've taken it in the summer in moderate amounts before without incident.

My understanding is though, that those who do can get REALLY SEVERE burns, not just annoying ones. I don't think lotions or tanning products would protect them. It is something to take seriously and be cautious about.

Cobweb
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My LLMD usually will not prescribe Doxy in summer months and technically it is still Spring.
When she did prescribe Doxy in the Fall, she told me that Neutrogena SPF something Dry Touch was a good sunscreen for Doxy.

The last two soccer games I went to weren't a problem -the Chinook Winds were whipping down the pike for the first one. I watched the game wearing a winter coat with an old army blanket over my head.

The second game it was pouring, but they played anyway. I had a lined raincoat and a big umbrella. I still got drenched from the knees down to my feet. But oh it felt so good to get into a dry car and blast the heat.

Should the sun ever come out tomorrow though I will be prepared with a wide brimmed hat, long sleeves, nose kote and parousal.(it's not considered an umbrella if the sun is shining).

Geneal- I saw horrible sun blisters on a friend's hands after they had been on a picnic. She had covered herself completely-except for her hands. Almost looked like acid burns.

I'll try to find out more specifically what the SPF was for that sunscreen.

Meanwhile-stay under cover!
Carol

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
groovy2
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 6304

Icon 1 posted      Profile for groovy2   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi All--

This is what I learned over the 3 plus
years that I took Doxi--

It is Super Important Not to eat
any Citrus or Cranberries while
taking doxi--

Even Tiny amounts of citrus can
cause the- Photo Toxic- reaction-
Lemon in tea- citrus in soda -ect-

Google Photo Toxic--

I had it so bad that ANY light would
burn and blister my skin--
Even light from my computer screen burned
me to a Crisp

I could not go out side for even
a few seconds-

It was Horriable --

Once I found out about the Citrus thing
I quit eating Any Citrus--

After a while I could go out into
the light with Zero problems --hours-

The bad effect from the Citrus can
happen Quickly--Hours --

I think the Citrus makes the Doxi get
absorbed better--

Citrus dose seam to make the doxi
more efficitve but its not worth the
side effects--

Search back on my history about 2 yrs-
I wrote abounch on the subjuct--

Also standard Sun Block dose little good-
Green Lizard form Austraila is supposed
to work perty good but I have never used it-

Also if you have to go out side wear
Black clothing --the black absorbes
much more of the light rays and stops them-

Wear a Light color clothing on out side of
the black to reflect the heat--

Hope this helps you --Jay--

Posts: 2999 | From Austin tx USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement