LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Do herbs kill good bacteria too?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Do herbs kill good bacteria too?
Jellybelly
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 7142

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jellybelly   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am getting ready to order adrographis and knotwood for Buhner's protocol. I just have one last question. Do these herbs kill good stuff too? It seems like they would since they wouldn't know what's good and what's bad.
Posts: 1251 | From california | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lalalu
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10854

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lalalu   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd be interested in knowing this also.

--------------------
http://chroniclyme.blogspot.com/

"Illnesses, hover constantly above us, their seed blown by the winds, but they do not set in the terrain unless the terrain is ready to receive them."---Claude Bernard.

Posts: 131 | From US | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
luvs2ride
Member # 8090

Icon 1 posted      Profile for luvs2ride     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Jelly,

My understanding of herbs is that they are food, not drugs even though many drugs began as the active ingredient of an herb that was isolated from the herbal plant.

When you extract the active ingredient of the herb you alter its function. Sort of like the way we were told that eggs raise your cholestrol. Then science discovered an ingredient in the white of the egg that prevents the cholestrol in the yolk of the egg from causing us harm.

Eating the whole egg renders the cholestrol harmless to us. Eating the whole herb supports our body and hence our immune system in a way that creates a balanced environment that is allows us to be healthy. This balance is hostile to harmful bacteria, virus, parasite, worms etc and that is how we walk the earth in a state of health.

The SAD (Sad American Diet) does not provide us with whole food which is nourishing to our bodies. Whole food is any food that grew that way. Nothing processed grew that way and just about everything we eat today is processed unless you make a real effort to eat whole foods and to do this you must be cooking most of what you eat.

Add this poor nutritional diet to antibiotics which on the good side are extremely good at killing things and on the bad side are extremely good at killing things and after awhile, your body can no longer keep you healthy. Now, bugs, parasites, worms, toxic metals, chemicals and biotoxins take up residence in our weakened bodies and we become chronically ill. It is very hard to regain that balance once it has been lost.

There are toxic herbs out here that certainly can kill such as arsenic. Naturally you want to avoid those, but the remaining herbs are as natural and essential to your body as are veggies and fruit.

I took a class on herbs once and was told that all living things have a vibration including herbs and including our organs within us. This is how Milk Thistle supports the liver and other herbs support other parts of our bodies. The vibration of Milk Thistle occurs at the same pitch as the vibration of our liver and when we ingest Milk Thistle it is drawn to the liver by the vibrating.

That is just my layman interpretation as I learned it from this class.

Hopefully someone with more scientific terminology can give a more scientific answer to your question, but do know that herbs do not kill in the same manner as abx. That is why it takes longer to work. The herb is actually healing your body so that your body can do the killing and removing of the disease.

Luvs

--------------------
When the Power of Love overcomes the Love of Power, there will be Peace.

Posts: 3038 | From america | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
luvs2ride
Member # 8090

Icon 1 posted      Profile for luvs2ride     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
PS: I look at this manner of health and my heart sings praise to God who is so great to have designed the earth and us to work in such harmony.

Luvs

--------------------
When the Power of Love overcomes the Love of Power, there will be Peace.

Posts: 3038 | From america | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Greatcod
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm guessing that the use of herbs for treating illness developed in cultures where the immune system and germ theory were unknown. It was a very practical thing, try plants, all kinds of plants and see what happened. (Actually, sick chimps do that in the wild). The plants that helped were recognized and over time the natural pharmacy was developed.
So exactly how these herbs worked, in the biochemical sense, was unknown, and in many cases still may be. Whether they attack the pathogen, or enhance immune function, or both, or god knows what, remains to be answered, to my way of thinking.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annxyz
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9097

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Annxyz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I definitely think you will need a good probiotic for your digestive tract , based on my experience .

--------------------
ANNXYZ

Posts: 744 | From Mineola | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
micul
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6314

Icon 1 posted      Profile for micul     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anything, whether it is an herb, or abx, that is strong enough to kill or inhibit these powerful pathogens like Bart, Lyme, and Babs is going to kill good bacteria as well.

--------------------
You're only a failure when you stop trying.

Posts: 945 | From U.S | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JimBoB
Unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by micul:
Anything, whether it is an herb, or abx, that is strong enough to kill or inhibit these powerful pathogens like Bart, Lyme, and Babs is going to kill good bacteria as well.

WHO told you THAT?

Herbs are NOT killers.

They work on a totally DIFFERENT principle than do abx. Abx are the killers. Killers of BOTH good AND bad, for the most part.

One of the reasons they are recommended for only short term use. Out bodies cannot take them long term. THERE WILL BE HELL TO PAY!

Herbs work to build up our immune systems. Some herbs relieve the SYMPTOMS, and make life a lot more bearable UNTIL our immune systems can take over again and kill off the bugs that are bugging us.

Read Buhner's book, it will give you ALL the info that you will need.

Jim [Cool]

JimBoB
Unregistered

up

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement