LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » One Hyperbaric Dive Seems to Yield Herx

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: One Hyperbaric Dive Seems to Yield Herx
timaca
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 6911

Icon 14 posted      Profile for timaca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi All~

If some of you have followed my story, I did 40 hyperbaric dives last fall. I had a significant herxheimer on day 12, (flu like illness); followed by months of feeling worse than usual.

After the dives were over, I definitely had more energy than before the dives. I still had lots of lyme symptoms, but it was great to have energy again!

I took a couple of months break and then did 2 dives in January. I had a herx 11 days later. I did this a couple of times, and each time had a herx. So, I knew that 2 dives killed off the ketes.

Just recently, I did just one dive. The chamber is a 2 1/2 hour drive one way from my home, so getting there, doing a dive, and driving back is an all day event. I was hoping that one dive might also give me a herx. That way I wouldn't have to drive two days in a row.

Well, on day 9, I felt pretty ill. My herxs have always happened on day 10-12. Once on day 13, but never on day 9, so I was not sure it was a herx. It was suspicious though. (read: I was flat on my back).

So, I did another "one" dive. That was April 13th. The dive was shorter than usual...just 60 minutes long, since one of the techs forgot I was coming. [Frown]

Well, yesterday (day 9) I woke up with a screaming headache at 3 a.m. I did drag myself to the club and walked slowly on the treadmill and listened to Joel Osteen (he's my spiritual boost for the week). Then I went home, and laid on my mattress with all my clothes on, the mattress heater turned on HIGH, AND a down comforter on top of me, AND another comforter on top of me. I was STILL COLD. [Roll Eyes] I was nauseated too.

I wasn't sure it was a herx until today. (I guess I'm like Tincup...deny the herx even when it's staring you in the face). For you see, on Saturday I had a good day...lots of energy, even did yard work for 3 hours. Then Sunday I was out as described above. Today I've been doing tons of housework...even things like washing windows, cleaning blinds, and cleaning above the entertainment center!! [Eek!] I haven't done stuff like this in years!

So....all this is to say....I do believe hyperbaric dives kills off the ketes, as evidenced by my herx that hits me even after one dive.

And I am so grateful for the added energy that I have. It is wonderful!

If you can add hyperbaric to your protocol, I'd do it...even if it is just one or two dives a month, it may help.

Timaca

Posts: 2872 | From above 7,000 ft in a pine forest | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ByronSBell 2007
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do you know a way of finding out where oxygen chambers are I live in memphis and was wondering if memphis has one???
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
timaca
Member # 6911

Icon 1 posted      Profile for timaca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did an internet search for "hyperbaric oxygen chamber tennessee" and came up with at least one place.

Try that. You can call them and find other locations. You will likely need to find a chamber that is not associated with a hospital.

Timaca

Posts: 2872 | From above 7,000 ft in a pine forest | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ByronSBell 2007
Unregistered

I will ask my parents since I am too lazy with the lyme to look for one... [spinning smile]
BOEJR
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 1734

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BOEJR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Timaca [hi]

Thanks for the confirmation : )

This is something that I recommend highly. You do not have to be addicted to a chamber. I think that if you cater your sessions to what works for you, then you should maintain your gains with HBOT...

Julia [spinning smile]

--------------------
Please consult your LLMD before making any changes to your treatment regimen.

Posts: 641 | From NJ, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
timaca
Member # 6911

Icon 1 posted      Profile for timaca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Julia! [hi]

You're welcome for the confirmation. I do believe that is what is going on. I will continue to post my experiences.

Today I turned the mattress heater on high again, and laid on the bed with just the down comforter on me (without the additional comforter). I was quite hot. And it's SNOWING outside today....so I know it's not a warmer day than yesterday!

So....I believe, yes indeedy, that I had the chills yesterday in addition to a rip roaring headache.

You know the only headache I had that was worse than the one yesterday was when I took some cholestyramine when I had C. difficile. That was a 10 on a scale of 1-10. Yesterday's headache was an 8.

I'm sure cholestyramine plays a role in this whole lyme thing....as does hyperbaric.

Now, to just get the ID docs to listen to us...and do some research.... [Wink]

Timaca

Boomerang
Member # 7979

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Boomerang     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How much do the dives cost?

I actually found a doc near Nashville today who treats for Lyme.....and has a hyperbaric (sp?) chamber. I forgot to check the cost though.

Posts: 1366 | From Southeast | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
timaca
Member # 6911

It varies. My cost is $125 per dive. You might check to see if the doctor has a regular chamber that goes to 2.4 ATA...

I just did another dive on Monday. I told the technician that it gets kinda hard to do a dive now, knowing that I am going to get really, really sick anywhere from day 9 to day 13 post dive.

Julia--here's a question for you....do you think I'm doing good by killing off the Bb every 2 1/2 weeks, or am I just making the buggers stronger?? Hopefully, the end result is I'm making progress and killing them off...

Timaca

Boomerang
Member # 7979

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Boomerang     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Timaca. Glad to hear they are helping you.
Posts: 1366 | From Southeast | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ByronSBell 2007
Unregistered

LOL! Place here in Memphis wants $1,000 per dive and since it requires 30-50 dives to make great progress.... good luck! [spinning smile] [spinning smile] [spinning smile]
timaca
Member # 6911

ByronSBell~ Is that at a free standing clinic or a hospital? Clinics are often less expensive.

Timaca

Boomerang
Member # 7979

$1,000? Oh my gosh........ I'll check about the cost of this one when we go next week.

$1,000???

BOEJR
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 1734

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BOEJR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Timaca,

I have noticed that with several of my clients that come in for just maintanance therapy they seem to have the same reaction. It seems to be a die off, the best way to know for sure is to judge for yourself based on your symptoms.

As long as your sessions are above 2.0 ATA you will have die off. So don't worry BB does not trieve in a pure oxygen enviorment.

Hopefully if you are tracking your symptoms you can see the "stay in progression"

I just have to add this here, as to the cost. I agree that the costs are prohibitive. I can only speak for myself when I say that I try and keep the costs down.

I have done all the work myself including the build out. For the most part every piece of equipment in a hyperbaric center has to be maintained, inspected and insured. That can be costly,,

Add to that all the regulating that goes along with that and you have a wopping hourly fee..

I keep costs down because I do everything and that includes the laundry LOLOLOLOL

Kindly, [kiss]

Julia

--------------------
Please consult your LLMD before making any changes to your treatment regimen.

Posts: 641 | From NJ, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DolphinLady
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6275

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DolphinLady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anyone know why not everyone does well with this? I'm pretty sure you have to have co-infections pretty well treated and metals chelated. Is there an eye condition where this is contraindicated?

What are the contraindications if any?

Thanks

Posts: 925 | From California | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oxygenbabe
Member # 5831

Icon 1 posted      Profile for oxygenbabe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I even get die-off in my mild chamber (1.3 ata).

I think you get dieoff especially hard if you do a session at the time the bugs are actively replicating and/or going through an antigen shift that has tricked your immune system into thinking its a new variety of the bug.

As to why not everyone does well, it's probably various issues. For instance, maybe some bugs get stimulated. I don't know about viruses for instance. Some say babesia gets stimulated but I have babesia and it helps me with that. Another possibility is yeast overgrowth as it can use oxygen if needed. Another possibility is a massive herx that some people can't tolerate.

The eyes: Yes, I recommend keeping eyes closed. It depends on how intact your vitreous membrane is but the lens of the eye is vulnerable to oxidation which is why with age people get presbyospia and eventually cataracts. A good metaphor is that with time, oxidation turns the lens from soft and fluid like the white of an uncooked egg to hard and opaque like the lens of a cooked egg. Hyperbaric can speed this process as the free radical producing oxygen flows across the vitreous membrane into the lens, under the increased pressure that is pushing more oxygen into all tissues. But the lens has no blood vessels thus only gets its antioxidant, glutathione, by passive diffusion. If your glutathione status is already compromised because of chronic lyme you may be more vulnerable. I've had eye changes. I need fairly strong reading glasses and have glare in the sun and headlights. I had none of that before hyperbaric. I do my mild chamber once a week or ten days now, it is very helpful to me but I don't do it more often so I can protect my eyes. I think the deep dives were the original big issue for my eyes as the major changes occurred there. I learned on my second set of deep dives to keep my eyes closed, since oxygen also permeates right across the cornea. So you lessen the amount of oxygen in your lens with the eyes closed.

The retina, conversely, loves and needs oxygen and hyperbaric has also been useful in macular degeneration.

Posts: 2276 | From united states | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement