LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Mino-Black/Dark Teeth

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Mino-Black/Dark Teeth
Littlesprout
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7406

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Littlesprout     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been on Mino for about 6mo, my teeth started turning Black! My husband has been on Mino/Doxy for yrs and he never had this problem.

Anyone else? Will this go away? I quit taking it, seems alittle better. My Bio Dentist told me last yr, he has seen adults get black teeth from Mino/Doxy. I didn't believe him, now I do. I thought just kids had this problem. Think again [shake]

Posts: 315 | From USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bpeck
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 3235

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bpeck     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh God- What the heck kind of Dr. would prescribe Mino for 6 months and not know about teeth staining (and vit C to prevent it??)
didn't your Dr. who prescribed the Mino tell you to take at LEAST a gram of Vit C everyday to avoid that deposition in your teeth?

The dose (of Mino)or diet - or enamel type may be the difference on why your hubby hans't had the tooth staining problem.. but tooth staining isn't the only thing going on for long-term Mino.

Here's the reference-

Barb

J Esthet Dent. 1998;10(4):182-6
Protection against minocycline pigment formation by ascorbic acid (vitamin C).Bowles WH.
Baylor College of Dentistry, Texas A&M University System, Dallas, USA.

Minocycline, a member of the tetracycline family of antibiotics, is widely used in the treatment of acne. Its use has been associated with intrinsic staining of adult human teeth, bones, and soft tissues.

It causes blackening of the thyroid glands in both animals and humans.

It has been determined that the pigment is the product of an oxidation reaction.

Laboratory studies have shown that the pigment formation can be induced by exposure to ultraviolet light in the presence of air, and that an antioxidant, such as ascorbic acid (vitamin C), can block its formation.

The present study was undertaken to determine whether the antioxidant vitamin C could prevent the pigmentation of tissues of laboratory rats given minocycline. Based on other studies, one group of rats was given minocycline by stomach tube at a dose of 75 mg/kg/day, 5 days per week, for 6 weeks. A second experimental group was given the same regimen of minocycline plus a supplement of ascorbic acid at a level of 0.1% of the diet. A control group received no treatment at all; all rats were maintained on laboratory rats chow and water ad libitum. The rats were euthanized by carbon dioxide inhalation. Nasomaxillary bones, including central incisors, and thyroid glands were removed and fixed with 10% buffered formalin. Bones and teeth showed no gross signs of staining and, therefore, were not processed further.

Thyroid glands were visibly darker in the minocycline group; specimens from all three groups were processed histologically. Microscopic examination revealed extensive deposits of black pigment throughout the follicles of the minocycline group, whereas the group receiving both minocycline and vitamin C showed no sign of pigmentation and were indistinguishable from controls. It is suggested that patients on long-term minocycline medication be monitored for thyroid function.

PMID: 9893512 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Posts: 1875 | From VT | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
D Bergy
Member # 9984

Icon 1 posted      Profile for D Bergy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have stained teeth from tetracycline from when I was young. It does not go away, or at least mine never has.

D Bergy

Posts: 2919 | From Minnesota | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vermont_Lymie
Member # 9780

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vermont_Lymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Barbara,

Thank you for this information. My llmd was going to switch me to mino this summer, and I am glad to know to take Vit C currently. Which I already do, but not at too a high dose.

I already have tetracycline-stained teeth from taking abx as a child. Do not want them to get even darker!

Posts: 2557 | From home | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cordor
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9449

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cordor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, this is very interesting!!! My mother took Tetracycline when she was pregnant with me (49 yrs ago!!) and my first set of teeth were black. Thank goodness my adult teeth came in white. There are pretty much NO pictures of me smiling...while I had the black teeth. It was awful. I was teased like you would not believe.

Anyway, because I am now showing symptoms of ACA, from chronic lyme...my doc wants to try me on mino. I certainly did NOT know about the vit C thing OR the possible thyroid disfunction (I already have a small thyroid nodule)

--------------------
Corinne

Posts: 529 | From Raleigh, NC | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bpeck
Member # 3235

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bpeck     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cordor:

I had untreated Lyme for 27 years- and unfortunately I have ACA - (It's my only remaining symptom after therapy) I have researched ACA quite exstensively- and belive I'm in the 3rd stage of it.. the stage that doesn't ever really get 'cured'. Mino hasn't worked.

If you are in the inflammatory stage- or even the chronic stage- abx might work - there are some German papers on which abx are the most effective if your LLMD looks them up.

Good luck.
Barb

Posts: 1875 | From VT | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cordor
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9449

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cordor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Barb- I went untreated for over 20+ years also. I was originally told I had MS. I was diagnosed with Lyme 3 1/2 yrs ago by PCR blood test, and positive bands and brain lesions and abnormal brain spect. I did not have sucess with IV rocephin or orals, so I did Hyperbaric Oxygen treatments for 9 months. Have not been on anything at all except supplements for about a year now. Then about a month ago this "rash" started. Lyme doc (who I believe is VERY smart, by the way) is the one who told me it was ACA, after taking ONE look at it.

Have NOT started the mino, because of current stomach issues right now AND am kind of scared. I have had awful, just awful allergic reactions to almost ALL antibiotics the past couple years. (that is why my very conservative Lyme doc is the one who suggested Hyperbaric)

Anyway, not sure what stage my ACA is in, but AM gong to a lyme literate dermo on Wednesday who hopefully will be taking a biopsy to dtermine for SURE what is happening. My lyme doc says ACA is serious and needs to be treated.

Let me ask you something.......when you first got it did it ITCH like crazy? Did it come "up" from your skin as scabs BEFORE you ever even got a chance to touch them? Did you ever get it on your upper back and shoulders?

--------------------
Corinne

Posts: 529 | From Raleigh, NC | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
treepatrol
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 4117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for treepatrol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If your eating or drinking sugary stuff like soda yeast will do that.

--------------------
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
Remember Iam not a Doctor Just someone struggling like you with Tick Borne Diseases.

Newbie Links

Posts: 10564 | From PA Where the Creeks are Red | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaliforniaLyme
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 7136

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CaliforniaLyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mine was not staining or yeast. Happened to me on IV Rocephin- don't worry- comes right off!!! Went to dentist, came off, never happened again!!! Said type of bacteria can grow soemtimes- anyway, it is gone and teeth were fine- not permanent for me at all!!!

--------------------
There is no wealth but life.
-John Ruskin

All truth goes through 3 stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer

Posts: 5639 | From Aptos CA USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dmc
Member # 5102

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dmc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was on minocycline for 2 years....absolutely no teeth staining. No skin discoloration either, (some people get darker skin if dosage too high, above what is necessary for lyme.) I was on 100mg
2X day.

Wish I was back on it...great for my neuromuscular stuff, cleared head, more coordination.

Posts: 2675 | From ct, usa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Parisa
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10526

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Parisa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you go to www.roadback.org there are lots of users over there who use minocycline long term ie. for years and years or the rest of their lives. I had read about the black build up but was still surprised when my husband started getting it. He went to the dentist to have his teeth cleaned and the dentist kept insisting that he was a smoker. The black build up cleaned right off. Many of the "users" on roadback say that this build up happens for about a year and then goes away.
Posts: 984 | From San Diego | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaliforniaLyme
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 7136

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CaliforniaLyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes- Roadback is a great site!!!

--------------------
There is no wealth but life.
-John Ruskin

All truth goes through 3 stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer

Posts: 5639 | From Aptos CA USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Littlesprout
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7406

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Littlesprout     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I quit the Mino, brushed and brushed. The darkness/blackness is going away! I normally take Vit C but have not taken it on a reg basis lately. I will start back now.

I was on the Mino for the brain inflammation. Lyme lesions. Which is worse, black teeth or brain damage?? I guess if it stayed black, I could get fake teeth, easier than a fake brain [Big Grin]

Posts: 315 | From USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement