LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » IV question

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: IV question
davidx
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8326

Icon 1 posted      Profile for davidx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi everyone-

I posted this on another thread but it got buried and I figured most would miss it so I thought I'd repost in under its own topic.

I am having a picc put in this week and starting rocephin. I have a quick question though.

I spoke to the infusion company and they confirmed with my LLMD that they will be doing a picc line but the way it was described to me is that the picc won't go all the way to the heart and therefore won't need an x-ray after inserted.

I didnt ask many questions but she seemed to say that this method is becoming more common and is still a picc line and not a mid line and therefore can last a very long while.

The procedure is done at the LLMD's office and I know that he's prescribed many of these over the years so I don't want to question it, but I just haven't heard anyone mention this type here before.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

-David

--------------------
Same nightmare, different day!

Posts: 401 | From East Coast | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tailz
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmm, not sure about this one. I had to go to the hospital to get mine inserted. And they did use an x-ray to guide it in.

I know there is a doctor in the area here who inserts his own in his office. Maybe somebody else on here can help you.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boomerang
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 7979

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Boomerang     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry, david. I'm not familiar with that one. Hubby's did go to the heart, and he was xrayed.

Hopefully someone else will know.

Posts: 1366 | From Southeast | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
listenswithcare
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10719

Icon 1 posted      Profile for listenswithcare     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My doctor ordered a midline, but the infustion company and hospital said it should be a PICC. After reading more, I agreed.

The PICC went all the way to the heart and they used imaging to verify the placement. It was done in the cath. lab at the hospital.

Never heard of the kind you are describing...

Robin

Posts: 276 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ldfighter
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9405

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ldfighter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe it's a midclavicular PICC? If so see the cautionary note below. The following info comes from the following website:
http://www.mdins.net/sharedresources/venifacts/picc_vs__midline.htm

"Tip placements of the PICC:

�Midline - shortest version of the PICC. Its tip terminates in the axilla. Blood flow past tip in this locate equals approximately 90 ml per minute.

�Midclavicular - this tip terminates in the subclavian near the center point of the clavicle.

�PICC - longest version. Its tip terminates in the superior vena cava. Blood flow past tip in this location equals approximately 2000 ml per minute.

Note: Midclavicular placement has been known to increase the risk of thrombophlebitis and is avoided if possible."

Posts: 621 | From US | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Energy2Heal
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 2010

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Energy2Heal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had a midclav PICC that was inserted at home (no xray) and it was in for 17 months with no problems.
Posts: 443 | From The Wild West | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dmc
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 5102

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dmc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
had same thing (midline)and my llmd said meds all go the same blood, throught the same heart, etc.

One just needs to take more care of the midline.

Posts: 2675 | From ct, usa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
davidx
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8326

Icon 1 posted      Profile for davidx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks very much for the info. That was very helpful.

It sounds like I am getting a midclav PICC.
Andrew- I am glad to hear that you had it for so long without any problems.

Ldfighter-thanks for info on the risk factor. I will certainly ask my doctor about that this week when I have it done. I wonder, though, if each type has its own risks?

My biggest concern would be that this type of picc line does not "work as well" as a regular picc line. In other words, since it doesn't go right to the heart (but to the clavicle instead) does that mean that the rocephin won't work as well?

dmc - you seemed to answer this question for me so I am hoping that you are right!

-David

--------------------
Same nightmare, different day!

Posts: 401 | From East Coast | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Energy2Heal
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 2010

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Energy2Heal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is no way that a mid-clav PICC doesn't "work as well" as another type.

The type of line depends on the type of medicine being administered. If the medication is extremely caustic (like doxy) it needs to go into a bigger vein.

However, in the case of Rocephin, the mid-clav is fine. (or was when i was having it done a few years back)

And there is NO WAY that it could make the Rocephin "not work as well." Once the med is in the bloodstream, it gets delivered all over the body. Where the line ends will not affect this.

And, I was doing IV push with my rocephin (large syringe, push it in) as opposed to a drip system. Do you know which they will give you?

Like I said, I was pushing in 2 grams every day (then switched to pulsing 4 gms/4 days, rest for 3 days every week) for awhile. I had NO problems with the PICC whatsoever.

Feel free to PM me with any specific questions about the line.

Posts: 443 | From The Wild West | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement