LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Should I repeat the Igenix WB?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Should I repeat the Igenix WB?
Visual Afterimage Man
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10435

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Visual Afterimage Man     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How many of you have repeated a Western Blot? Or even an ELSIA test after being in treatment for a long period of time?

I have a theory that now that I have been on 9 months of abx, I expect my test to come back MORE positive than the intial test. Maybe even get a positive ELSIA now that I have developed antobodies?

Have any of you done this?? I'm considering it. I'd like to have some sort of measure on my progress. And also like everyone else, since Lyme is so hidden, I'd like to convince myself that I am actually suffering from Lyme and not something else. It's hard not to have those thoughts when you have been treating for this long and have only made small gains. I'm sure you have all had these thoughts...

So.. retest? or would I be wasting blood and money. I call it red and green.

--------------------
26 months of treatment. And counting.......

Posts: 298 | From Northeast Kansas | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chamade
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11472

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chamade     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I re-tested after 2 months of abx and plan to after another 6 months. My 2nd test came back a little bit more positive, but still not CDC or Igenex positive.
First test I had IGM 39-kda +. Recent one I had 39-kda + and 41-kda IND. So very close to officially positive. Also another less specific band showed up as + the 2nd time.

--------------------
Why me? Well, why not me???

Posts: 411 | From San Francisco, CA | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
davidx
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8326

Icon 1 posted      Profile for davidx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
October 2005 I tested positive through Quest (Elisa) and IgenEx (IGM Western Blot).

On treatment since then and re-tested through a third lab around April 2007 (1.5 years later) and was still IGM positive.

Just started rocephin a week ago...maybe that will help me?

-David

--------------------
Same nightmare, different day!

Posts: 401 | From East Coast | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Melanie Reber
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 3707

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Melanie Reber   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I honestly feel that it would be a waste of your resources to do another ELISA. We are all aware of the lack of specificity with that one, so why bother?

As far as retesting with the WB- that would be a decision between you and your doc based on what you are really seeking.

If you are looking for confirmation of Lyme, it is a gamble. There are many reasons for a negative WB, and none of them prove that the disease is not present in your system, even IF it isn't present in that sample of blood.

I was re-tested, but only for the WB IgM. I already had very strong previous positives in both IgM and IgG, so my doc did not need confirmation...he was only interested in the level of current antibody activity.

I do think the theory of ABX stirring up a more positive result has merit, but I have only seen it advised after a short course of ABX in the beginning of treatment. In other words, the trail of ABX in the beginning sometimes helps to jump start the antibody response, therefore allowing a possibility of a more positive test result.

After a nine month treatment...I am not so sure that your theory will pan out. But, it is anyone's guess.

I think you need to weigh the pros and cons of a possible negative result. It may help yourself and your doc IF you receive a positive, but it may also hurt you by way of increasing the uncertainty of a diagnosis for insurance purposes.

Until such time as testing is 100% accurate...I still believe that exposure, symptoms and reactions to meds are the most reliable means of deciphering a Clinical diagnosis.

Also, if you are not making much progress after 9 months of treatment, you may need to look at other factors- a med change, possible co-infections?

My best,
Melanie

Posts: 7052 | From Colorado | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement