LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » B12 Injections... Help?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: B12 Injections... Help?
Skyler
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11549

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Skyler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My doctor perscribed me B12 injections for every day for the next 14 days to get me feeling better.

The nurse told me places where i can inject, but I do not know anything about how to do this. They gave me no info on this. So I figured the pharmacy would give me detailed instructions... they did not.

Now I NEED to take one tonight or one shot that cost hundreds will go bad! [Frown]

Can anyone tell me anything baout this shot, how to do it, what to expect, where is best to do it? or any advice or tips?

I know i can do this on my own, but i would much rather know what to expect before hand. it would make this SOOO much easier.

[bonk] [dizzy]

any information would be great!

--------------------
I'm probably sleeping...

Posts: 419 | From Florida | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jenin98
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 12617

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jenin98     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
piece pf cake, I give them to my son every other day.
you can do it Im or subcutanously (in the butt, easier I think)
Just fill the syringe, wipe your behind on upper one outer area of your behind with alcohol, hold the syringe at about 45 degrees, and insert, squeeze , and out it goes.
Why did it cost hunderds of dollars. I only pay $7 copay for my son's. It should be covered by insurance. I give him hydroxy b12.
you can take sublingual too, it works.
I took them for one month, it gives you energy, I think it helps. but if you don't take the cofactors, it won't do you any good. That is, you need animo acids, taurine, .
Jenin

Posts: 455 | From Maryland | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Skyler
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Skyler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It cost me around 1200 dollars for the 14 day suply. My insurance would not cover it for some reason. actually i think the pharmacy would not take the insurance for the shot because it has to be specailly made and the insurance company does not reimburse them for some of the supplies.

Yeah, thats it. So this cost me an arm and a leg. Thank god my grandfather was a penny pincher is whole life. If it was not for him, i would not be getting better now. Even after his death he is saving my life. [Smile] he was/is amazing.

--------------------
I'm probably sleeping...

Posts: 419 | From Florida | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jenin98
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 12617

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jenin98     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That is absurd. Insurance should pay for it.
Where do you get it, compound pharmacy I hope.
Make sure they only put the b12 and not mix anything with it like folic acid or NAC.
Jenin

Posts: 455 | From Maryland | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hanginginthere
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11685

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hanginginthere     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe we're talking about different B12...but I get a 30 ml multiple dose vial of cyanocobalamin (B12)and a bag of sterile wrapped needles from my doctor for $19. I started out taking one a day for two weeks and now am on a maintenance dose of twice a week. My insurance doesn't pay for any, but at less than twenty dollars...it's a great deal.

If this is the same form of B12 that your doctor gives you--you may want to see about getting the vial and filling the syringes yourself. They taught me how in just a few minutes at the doctor's office. You just store the vial in the fridge...It's easy and inexpensive and I really think it helps my energy level.

Now that I'm on a maintenance schedule, the vial lasts quite a while (never paid attention to exactly how long...seems like a few months or more?)

Good luck! [Wink]

Posts: 136 | From North Carolina | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
clairenotes
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 10392

Icon 1 posted      Profile for clairenotes         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good instructions, but also make sure to check for any air bubbles and that any excess air has been pushed out of the syringe before injecting. To release air bubbles I tap the syringe against a hard surface like the edge of a counter-top (with the plastic cover on) until the bubble/s release.

For sub-cutaneous injections I pinch the skin around the stomach with one hand (forefinger and thumb), then insert needle just into the fold. I never put the needle in farther than about a quarter of an inch. It has worked fairly well for me, but I usually have to insert more than once using this method in a different place. It hurts too much if I try to get the entire contents in one place on my stomach. But not everyone will experience this difficulty.

Another way is to insert the needle so that it goes just under the skin. But I am afraid I am going to go to far in.

This is how I was taught by an LLMD recently.

Claire

Posts: 1111 | From Colorado | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Energy2Heal
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 2010

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Energy2Heal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just started B12 (methyl) injections myself.

Jenin, you mention amino acids are needed in order to make the B12 efective. Are there others besides taurine?

Posts: 443 | From The Wild West | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jenin98
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 12617

you can take an amino acid complex vitamin, and b-comlplex as well. you that stuff to make methylation work properly.
Jenin

WildCondor
Unregistered

Icon 6 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sky

No way should B12 cost that much money, more like $35 for 30 doses. For Methylcobalamin, you should be able to get 30 doses for $100.

Insurance should pay for cyanocobalamin, and Methyl B12 must be compounded.

As for giving yourself injections. Have your nurse or doctor show you how to do this. It's easy once you learn how.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WildCondor
Unregistered

Call this compounding pharmacy up, tell them the treatment is for Lyme disease.

FAX them your Rx and they will mail you your B12 on ice all pre-filled and ready to inject. I got my Methyl B12 for $99 per month there.

http://www.fallonpharmacy.com/

Skyler
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11549

Icon 2 posted      Profile for Skyler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I did the shot today.

I was in a hurry because my boyfriend had to leave, and he was the one doing it for me.

We did all that you guys recomended. It burned pretty bad for me. Ony thing is, we did not know how deep to put it in...

The needle is a 3ml 23g1. How far should we be putting it in?

Anyhoo, It burned and kinda creeped me out, but everyone I have talked to said this made them feel SO much better, so I am pretty excited.

Now I do not know why mine cost so much. I guess mine is something special? 1200 dollars is alot for 2 weeks. especially if you guys say it did not cost so much for you...

Thank you for your help!!!!

--------------------
I'm probably sleeping...

clairenotes
Member # 10392

Icon 1 posted      Profile for clairenotes         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
With IM injections I put the needle in all the way. But with sub-cutaneous, only part way.

I agree that it would be a good idea to talk to your doctor/nurse also to determine how they would like you to inject the B12, at least for the next injection.

Best wishes,

Claire

Posts: 1111 | From Colorado | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
1Bitten2XShy
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sky-

I do not know if Dr. C put you on just plain ole B-12 as he did me..or something with alittle more kick..But my plain ole B-12 was $ 13- for 5 weeks @ 2 per week.

I have 5/8 25g needles..maybe you could get a smaller needle.

He has me inject sub-cutaneous, I just numb the spot with an icecube first (yeah I am a baby) then pinch an inch (lol) and inject into my stomach. Does not go in very far, make sure you inject slowly as well..that will help with the burning. I have zero burning.

Skyler
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11549

Icon 2 posted      Profile for Skyler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
oh, then I am on a more heavy deuty one then...

He told me to put in in my leg and deep too. hmmm.

--------------------
I'm probably sleeping...

Energy2Heal
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 2010

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Energy2Heal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Could everyone post what dosage of B12 they are injecting?

My LLMD has me doing 25 mg. of methyl 5 days/week. That seems like a huge dose.

[ 16. August 2007, 11:34 PM: Message edited by: AndrewInCA ]

Posts: 443 | From The Wild West | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sick
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9143

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
jenin98

Could you please explain a little more about what you take with the B12 shots and where to get it?

sick

Posts: 538 | From Iowa | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I take 1 cc whenever I feel like it!! I started out two yrs ago at one a day, then after several months it was every other day.

Over the past year, it's been more like once a week....sometimes not even that often.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WildCondor
Unregistered

Mine were 1 cc each and 25 mg/dose.

That's for methylcobalamin. [Smile]
It is normal for the shot to burn a little bit, and you may smell like vitamins afterwards too. Normal.
methylB12 should make your urine pink if it is working properly.

Skyler seriously got ripped off, the max Methyl B12 should cost is $300, and that is even high.

Shop around for the best B12 prices, the link above is where I found the best prices, and they are familiar with Lyme disease patients.

lymednva
Member # 9098

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymednva     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used 1 cc every other day for a couple of years, but did not see any difference in how I felt. So I finally just quit getting it.

I was taking hydroxy and it only cost me $18 a month, but I do have insurance that paid part of it.

The compounding pharmacy is near where I now live, but was about 20 miles one way before. That plus the fact I couldn't tell it was helping made me decide it wasn't worth the drive to get it.

My energy levels were much lower then, it was before I was dx'd with Lyme. That made the drive take too much of my limited energy when I wasn't seeing results.

--------------------
Lymednva

Posts: 2407 | From over the river and through the woods | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I forgot to mention that the shot will hurt less if you let it warm to room temperature. I leave mine out since it says store at 59 - 86 degrees.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Energy2Heal
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 2010

To say "1 cc" doesn't really mean anything unless you look at the concentration (how many mgs. per cc)

I sounds like a 25 mg dose is the top of the scale?

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement