LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Apria home care services

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Apria home care services
AP
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8430

Icon 5 posted      Profile for AP   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anyone have any experience good or bad that they'd like to share??

I fired my home care provider (Sentara, which is a local agency) b/c they're dumb. That's probably the nicest way to phrase it.

I had them back in 2005 when I was first diagnosed and I had a bad experience. I only returned to them because they were the only agency in my area that were already ACS providers (Worker's Comp). Unfortunately, they disregarded all of my worker's comp info and tried to bill BC/BS. Of course they wouldn't pay, so they sent me bill after bill.

5 weeks ago they called me up and told me that they were calling the Department of Labor for pre-approval and they denied services. Leaving me with a bill for 8 months of home care. (Let's not even start with the fact that they were trying to get PRE-approval for services I was already 8 months into).

I got ahold of my DOL claims examiner who said that there was no ICD-9 code for my treatment and I needed my doctor to write a note to clear things up - which I did, a week later.

Come to find out, the home care billing department has figured out how to get BC/BS to pay and sent me bills for astronomical co-pays. I am so fed up with them now that I can't think straight. Monday I uncovered the fact that the home health agency sent the wrong diagnosis (Lyme Meningitis - which I was treated for in '05, instead of the approved condition - Lyme DISEASE) to the worker's comp billing department, which is why I have to do all this leg work.

In March, I had an incompetent nurse come out who got close to my PICC line with scissors and cut it (that's why I now have a port). While my port was still brand new, a nurse came out and accessed it - I was in serious pain when she pushed the saline, but she insisted the port was correctly accessed. I began to infuse and my arm started throbbing - then I grew a third boob. Obviously, I wasn't accessed. It took 6 nurses and a trip back to the hospital to access my port. They put the wrong doctors name on my precriptions, give me the wrong meds... Seriously, they suck.

This is what I'd like to know about Apria (all the negatives ). I'd like to know if I'd be safe with them. We're moving from Virginia Beach to the Seattle area and figured it made more sense to choose a nationwide provider (though I am rather self-sufficient the recent clotting of my port raised eyebrows and my dr is ordering me to begin home care services again).

To anyone who has ever used Apria - please post your thoughts...

--------------------
Sometimes when I say �Oh, I�m fine� I want someone to look me in the eyes & say �tell the truth�

Myspace: http://tinyurl.com/5p64ed

Posts: 644 | From WA | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerryK
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 8552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
AP,
I can't answer your question but I want to say how sorry I am that you've had such a horrific experience.

I lived in Seattle. It's a lovely place. I hope you find a good company there.

Terry

Posts: 6286 | From Oregon | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AP
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8430

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AP   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TerryK:
AP,
I can't answer your question but I want to say how sorry I am that you've had such a horrific experience.

I lived in Seattle. It's a lovely place. I hope you find a good company there.

Terry

Thanks. I'm originally from Washington and comparing healthcare in the two states is pretty much impossible. I just can't wait to get back out there.

--------------------
Sometimes when I say �Oh, I�m fine� I want someone to look me in the eyes & say �tell the truth�

Myspace: http://tinyurl.com/5p64ed

Posts: 644 | From WA | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
susan2health
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10446

Icon 1 posted      Profile for susan2health     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I buy oxygen and some other stuff from them, and they have been just fine.

Susan

Posts: 233 | From United States | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerryK
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 8552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do a search for their name in google groups - I've seen a number of complaints.

Terry

Posts: 6286 | From Oregon | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dguy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8979

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dguy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Incompetency level is inversely proportional to accountability. Since accountability is low, incompetency is rampant.

Therefore switching providers may or may not solve the problem.

My experience with Apria: the employees are polite but the company is disorganized. The billing is confused, taking so long to credit on-time payments to the account that it always appears that you are paying late.

Apria was to call to schedule delivery of equipment. Instead they just showed up with it. I've since used and cancelled the equipment, and they were supposed to call to schedule pick up. They haven't. They also haven't picked up the equipment.

Posts: 727 | From USA | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement