LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Crazy Weight Loss Problems Stopping my treatment! HELP!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Crazy Weight Loss Problems Stopping my treatment! HELP!
Skyler
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11549

Icon 4 posted      Profile for Skyler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am loosing weight VERY fast!

I have always been very underweight, I am 5'7 and weigh only around 96 pounds. I usually weigh 103-108.

Since starting treatment I keep dropping weight, for a few reasons. I can not eat lots of sugar and fatty cab foods so I do not get yeast. Before treatment, I would have to eat constantly, tons of fatty food to just mantain weight.

When I started treatment for my babs, I lost 4 pounds a day. and got down to around 95 and my doctor took my off my meds. I gained weight for a while, eating whatever I want, but then got a tiny bit of yeast. Since then I have lost all the wieght and am back down to 96. [dizzy]

MY doctor will not put me on any meds untill i gain even more weight than i normally have on me so I can loose a little when I do the meds.

Problem is, I am now struggeling to mantain 96! I cant go back on treatment, and I cant get better! I do not know what to do. This is a horrid catch 22 and I do not know how to fix this! [confused]

Can anyone give me any sort of help?!?!?!? I am really in need of some help.

Does anyone have any advice?
Does anyone else have this problem, or know of any food that might help me get the weight back?

Please, I just don't know what to do. I need to get better! And with this, I can't. I feel doomed. [Frown]

--------------------
I'm probably sleeping...

Posts: 419 | From Florida | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cantgiveupyet
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 8165

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cantgiveupyet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have you had your thyroid checked?

I have this problem with weight, never could gain weight all my life, dr and friends would say drink milkshakes(but for me this never worked)

when things got real bad with this illness, it was the weight loss everyone noticed first...and i was eating a 1200 calorie breakfast. I kept a log of all foods i ate and i still couldnt gain.

I started treatment and lost more weight. Of course on the sugar low carb diet.

Somehow, in Nov 06 after taking amoxicillin for two weeks, i gained weight overnight...and ive been able to maintain it(on herbs) I also take armour thyroid for my hypothyroidism.

Some suggestions to 'try' to gain it, which i know is beyond tough, cause it is for me.

Almond butter
Olive oil- with all meals
coconut oil- cook with it, stir fries

Sunflower butter( packs on the pounds for me the most) but does have sugar and peanuts arent good for everyone. But i need it now and then to maintain.

string beans- lots of them(taste good with coconut oil)

Eat about 6 small meals a day.

Really count your calories, eat double if you have to!!

Take good probiotics to help maintain the gut.

Also excercise if you can , walking, stretching etc...to maintain muscle tone.

Ive been on doxy for two weeks for another infection and ive lost weight, down to 105 now, but no room for loss.

at my worst i was 89lbs. :-(

Maybe you can list what meals you have been eating and we can help you add to them?

--------------------
"Say it straight simple and with a smile."

"Thus the task is, not so much to see what no one has seen yet,
But to think what nobody has thought yet, About what everybody sees."

-Schopenhauer

pos babs, bart, igenex WB igm/igg

Posts: 3156 | From Lyme limbo | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Al
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9420

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Al     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Many people with lyme loose or gain weight.
Several people I know have gained 20-30lbs and some have lost 20-30 lbs. Some gain and then loose or loose and then gain. I'm down 14lbs.
Make sure you look at other possible causes also.
Have you seen an endocrinologist ?

Posts: 789 | From CT, | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
5dana8
Member # 7935

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5dana8   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi skyer

Sorry to hear about your weight problems. It does seem like a catch 22 but you are not doomed.

I was down to 92 lbs & losing fast. Since my last relpase it was hard to gain wieght. And on the strick anti-yeast diet, very hard.

Here's some things that have helped me:

Coconut milk

It has a whopping amount of calories in one can. It's super good for yeast problems. It also is anti-viral, antibacterial, anti-fugal & super good for your immune system.

I get the " A taste of Thai" brand at my local supper market. It's in the asian cooking section. Make sure the can only has like 2 main ingredients..water & coconut.

Tastes really yummy too. kinda like drinking a pina colada [Smile] I also cook with it and add organic butter & olive oil. Good way to cook pan fried fish.

I was drinking one to two cans a day & now am down to only needing one can. I tried the coconut oil but it makes me more nausated. If your tummy can handle it get the extra virgin coconut oil.

Here's a link on coconut oil/coconut milk :

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=048932

Other things that have helped are olive oil. Drench everything in it. Hard to believe but it can put on some pounds.

Almond or peanut butter also loaded with calories. Used to just sit & eat the jar with a spoon- straight up.

If you can do dairy...tons of sour cream,
half n half & whole milk. Yes, it has some natural sugars but I did this for a short time only. I was actually drinking half n half in place of milk. My weight did shoot up a bit doing this. But I would not reccomend it for long term use. Way too much fat.

For me pasta was a dead end. Didn't seem to put the pounds on & only added to yeast problems.

Hope this helps & you can gain some weight back
[group hug]
hugs
Dana

--------------------
5dana8

Posts: 4432 | From some where over the rainbow | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
groovy2
Member # 6304

Icon 1 posted      Profile for groovy2   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Skyler

I lost 35lbs- got down to 130 lbs-

I drank salad oil and olive oil-

It perty much has no taste and will put
Lbs on you quickly --Jay--

Posts: 2999 | From Austin tx USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aniek
Member # 5374

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aniek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Skyler,

I discovered the herb Cumanda for yeast control. I cannot follow the yeast diet, because I get extremely nauseous if I don't eat mostly starch. I lost weight down to a good level, but I didn't want to drop more and become unhealthy.

The Cumanda works great. Within a few days, any white on my teeth is gone. I can eat anything I want.

I had yeast problems before I was dxed with Lyme. I had been on abx for 2 months for a sinus infection, and had a year of vaginal yeast infections. Believe me, I don't play around with yeast. I used to be on Diflucan daily.

You can buy Cumanda online at www.nutramedix.com. I started with one drop, twice a day, and increase each day until I am at 20 drops, twice a day.

Talk to your doctor about this option. It's part of the Cowden protocol, but I just do the Cumanda. Cumanda is also supposed to have anti-Lyme properties.

As far as gaining weight seperately, can you work with a nutritionist? If not, increase your fat intake. If you eat chicken, make it dark meat and eat the skin. Keep nuts around, and eat a handful every hour or so during the day.

--------------------
"When there is pain, there are no words." - Toni Morrison

Posts: 4711 | From Washington, DC | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
improver
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8380

Icon 1 posted      Profile for improver     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm also fighting with maintaining weight. I am over 6 ft. tall and should weigh around 185. I weigh like 150 now. I have tried almond butter, and other things but I just can't seem to gain. It gets pretty scary because the more I lose the weaker I get. My friend has been taking some kind of pure protein powder that has helped and I'm thinking about trying it.
Hope you find a solution soon, Rich

Posts: 413 | From nj | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shoney
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9925

Icon 1 posted      Profile for shoney     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have trouble with keeping weight on. At my worst, I bought Skandi-shakes (online) 600 calories per shake
Posts: 561 | From eastcoast | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aniek
Member # 5374

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aniek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you are eating and losing weight, then have you considered worms? I have no idea what the tests are, but it might be something to think about.

I'd also ask if you have large, soft bowel movements. When I eat a lot of fat, it seems to go right through my body. Adding digestive enzymes may help you break down the food better and actually capture the nutrients. They make a difference for me.

--------------------
"When there is pain, there are no words." - Toni Morrison

Posts: 4711 | From Washington, DC | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dguy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8979

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dguy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Skyler:
I am loosing weight VERY fast!
Since starting treatment I keep dropping weight, for a few reasons. I can not eat lots of sugar and fatty cab foods so I do not get yeast.

This is why the Atkins diet works so well. When I did the low-carb anti-candida diet, I had trouble keeping weight on too. Didn't matter how much fat I ate, carbs were key for me.

If your weight drops so much as to be in itself harmful to your health, then you might need to explore increasing carb intake, and if yeast becomes a problem, then add antifungal meds.

Posts: 727 | From USA | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement