LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Lyme docs benefitting from infusion services?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Lyme docs benefitting from infusion services?
Anneke
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7939

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Anneke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have read in a couple of different articles this assertion that Lyme literate doc's have conflicts of interest with IV infusion companies. The latest assertion from this Dr. Sigel...

Does ANYONE KNOW of any of our LLMD"s benefitting in any way by ordering IV's???? I know mine doesn't. It just doesn't make sense! If anything, our dr's are very reticent to order IV's because of the hostile environment created by the IDSA and the jerks at the top, and because of lawsuits. Our lyme dr's have witnessed dr. after dr. getting hauled before medical boards and losing everything. Of course, Sigel wouldn't mention that would he. All the while, he is making $500 an HOUR or more to deny claim after claim.

So, I'm asking - has anyone seen or heard anything about your treating dr. benefitting from IV's???? Mine gets ZERO from my home healthcare when i needed it. And, I had to do the research, then tell her what infusion co. I wanted to go with!

We need to SHOOT THIS ACCUSATION DOWN!!! It makes me so furious what these guys are getting away with.

Anneke

Posts: 364 | From California | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dontlikeliver
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 4749

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dontlikeliver     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They're clutching at straws. I would say that most of us don't even have infusions these days, but orals.
Posts: 2824 | From The Back of Beyond | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Foggy
Member # 1584

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Foggy         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Goes both ways:

I had a non-LLMD give me IV and he steered me to an infusion company which happened to have a rep roaming the hospital. [Roll Eyes]

I had already contacted their competitor a week earlier for IV.

Posts: 2451 | From Lyme Central | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tailz
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My LLMD would not call my insurance company and ask them to allow me to infuse at home, even though I was experiencing episodes of hostility at his staff members (including HIM) and nearly crashing my car daily. He kept stalling.

I have no doubt they make money off of every patient who infuses, especially if they infuse the patient right there in their office. It's the American way.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aniek
Member # 5374

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aniek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't do IV abx, but I do IV nutrients. My LLMD has no problem with me going to an integrative medicine office closer to work for me to get the infusions.

--------------------
"When there is pain, there are no words." - Toni Morrison

Posts: 4711 | From Washington, DC | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaliforniaLyme
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 7136

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CaliforniaLyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My angel Doc told me, aghast, that he had been approached by an infusion company to rec'd and get kickbacks- he was horrified and warned me NOT to go to them because he considered them unethical!!!

--------------------
There is no wealth but life.
-John Ruskin

All truth goes through 3 stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer

Posts: 5639 | From Aptos CA USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sojourner
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9424

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sojourner     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This thread makes me laugh (in a sad way, of course).

Why doesn't this sorry excuse for a doc (Sigel?) question all of the neuros who were foaming at the mouth to get a bite out of the once monthly IV treatment for MS--Tysabri. Which by the way is for LIFE.

Before Tysabri was pulled (because people died) my husband's neuro had built a whole in-office infusion center......kind of like a beauty shop with reclining chairs. Called the local news and everything...disgusting [Mad]

Oh no---he wasn't going for a kick back...he was going for the whole enchilada=cha-ching!

Posts: 554 | From Naples, Italy | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Greatcod
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't know the details, but I 've read that lots of oncologists buy cancer meds from Big Pharma and use them to treat patients at their office, making considerable money on the mark-up.
I also read about money that some psychiatrists get big money from Big Pharma for prescribing their drugs..one dude in Vermont got $600,000 in a year that way.
By no means do all docs do that, though.
And Sigal is for sale-- something of an intellectual sleaze, IMO. The pot calling the kettle black.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Skyler
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Skyler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, When I had a wait to see a real LLMD of a month, i just went ahead and made an apt with this infectious disease doctor so i could atleast get a good test and get things moving in the right direction sooner.

This doctor has an Infusion place behind her office, and she is making mad money off of the insurance companies.

In my experience, It is the doctors who are really ripping off the insurance companies. When you have hundreds of thousands of doctors charging insurance companies rediculous amounts of money you cant help but think that it might be part of the reason insurance is so much these days.

800 dollars an IV every day is too much. 1,600 for one accupuncture apt is too much. 500 for services NOT rendered from a doctor is too much.

--------------------
I'm probably sleeping...

Posts: 419 | From Florida | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Parisa
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10526

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Parisa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are plenty of surgeons who steer you to surgical centers in which they own an interest. It usually isn't mentioned until you arrive to fill out paperwork.

I just don't know why they think LLMDs are raking in the money. They'd have much more tranquil lives if they weren't LLMDs and probably make more.

Posts: 984 | From San Diego | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Skyler
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Skyler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I would imagen most LLMDs could not get away with overcharging and other immoral stuff because they are already running the risk of insurance commpany, and medical scrutiny. My LLMD charges only 200 a visit, and is always available to help. He is also afraid of being put out of a medical licence for treating with what is concidered 'unusual medical practices'.

LLMDs are cirtantly fighting the good fight.

--------------------
I'm probably sleeping...

Posts: 419 | From Florida | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement