LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » rash mystery: herx, niacin, or stress?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: rash mystery: herx, niacin, or stress?
sweet pea
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6495

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sweet pea     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,

I've been sick for over 3 years, with Lyme, Bartonella and Babesia. I have very few symptoms at this point so I don't know what's left.

For the first time in my life I have rashes on my body. They are red, itchy, smooth, and could be mostly caused by my scratching. They are on my stomach, hips, and under my arms, fairly symmetrical. I started itching Monday afternoon, and the rashes showed up on Tuesday.

I have not eaten anything new, or used any new products. I did take some Niacin over the weekend, 500 mg/day of the NON-flush-free kind. I have taken Niacin before without getting a rash, but not for a while. I also upped my dosage of Buhner herbs on Monday, but not to a point that I am taking more than I have in the past. I did feel a bit of a herx Monday afternoon.

I did have a stressful day on Monday, but nothing unusual, and stress has never caused a rash before.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
P

Posts: 449 | From Vermont | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dmc
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 5102

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dmc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
my dad is allergic to nician...gets rash whenever he takes it even if in a multi vitamin. Nicianmide (non flushing) he still gets rash.

Rash lasted a couple days then went away. He can not take nician at all.

hope you are able to figure it out.

Posts: 2675 | From ct, usa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My dad had some pretty serious health problems when he was taking Niacin for his cholesterol. I don't remember the details, but I remember him saying something about never taking the time released kind.

Maybe it's the combo of the niacin and increase in herbs???

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
5dana8
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 7935

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5dana8   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hi sweet pea

could you stop the niacin for a few days & see what happens?

hope you can feeling better soon [group hug]

--------------------
5dana8

Posts: 4432 | From some where over the rainbow | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aklnwlf
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 5960

Icon 6 posted      Profile for aklnwlf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi there,

I was treated for three years for the same things you mentioned.

After all treatment I started to break out in a rash once a month while on Tindamax.

I still break out and was informed recently that they're e.m. rashes.

Mine look like cigar burn about the size of 2 quarters and I have about 5 of them that reoccur in the same place every month.

So I'm being retreated for Lyme and Bart.

--------------------
Do not take this as medical advice. This comment is based on opinion and personal experience only.

Alaska Lone Wolf

Posts: 6134 | From Columbus, GA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sweet pea
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6495

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sweet pea     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks everyone! I haven't taken Niacin since Tuesday night. The rashes haven't grown, and are less itchy, so I'm hopeful it's nothing big.

P

Posts: 449 | From Vermont | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement