LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Exercise with PICC line in?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Exercise with PICC line in?
BorreliaBrain
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7603

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BorreliaBrain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thinking about it, the absolute best way I've found to oxygenate my tissues (outside of HBOT, which I would like to do), is plain old intense intense exercise. And I don't meant walking.

It moves my blood, opens the capillaries, increases my sense of well being, and clears my head.

Anybody with a PICC line here work out? What can you do? Can you run? Do the stationary bike? Is sweating around your PICC a big no no? Am I supposed to lay around in the couch the whole time this thing is in?

Any ideas for PICC friendly, intense exercise? Or is it a no no?

BB

Posts: 194 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaliforniaLyme
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 7136

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CaliforniaLyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
BorreliaBrain- with a port it is ok- with a groshong okay- but a picc? BE CAREFUL!!!!!!! You can pull out the line! Be careful of lifting too much always with a picc- never more than 10 pounds is what my LLMD said!!! (My kid was 28 pounds, oops!) But be careful!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes, for some people exercise is great- it oxygenates muscles and can ease fibromyalgia for some-

Stationary bike?>?? Maybe!!!!!!!!!!! You don't use your arms with that a lot!!! Ask your doc!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

--------------------
There is no wealth but life.
-John Ruskin

All truth goes through 3 stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer

Posts: 5639 | From Aptos CA USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sfcharm
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9392

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sfcharm   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've got a groshong in my chest and the vascular surgeon said I could excercise after the site healed (six weeks). I now do the elliptical 3 days a week and work up a real sweat.

Just finished my third month of Rocephin IV and no problems.

Again this is a groshong catheter not a picc line.

Barb

Posts: 281 | From san francisco | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
davidx
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8326

Icon 1 posted      Profile for davidx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't do much exercice with the picc line in (mainly just walking). I was told not to lift anything real heavy and that I shouldn't sweat too much if I can avoid it.

--------------------
Same nightmare, different day!

Posts: 401 | From East Coast | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aligondo Bruce
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6219

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aligondo Bruce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
anyone with a line should be very careful about intense exercise. you can sweat off your bandage. sometimes the sweat can undermine the integrity just enough to introduce bacteria. it doesn't take a big hole. I don't do it anymore, it's too dangerous.

walking and such are OK. if you have a port, anything is OK provided it's not being accessed.

Posts: 523 | From Stillwater,OK,USA | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yourtroubl
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11087

Icon 1 posted      Profile for yourtroubl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah just be careful...My doc said light exercise..

I have a groshong..Funny I have lost it a few times...

Onces it came out in the skin and Once when I had the bandage off....It just fell to the ground...

Posts: 347 | From WV | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mathias
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 5298

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mathias     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
PICC line never stopped me from doing any exercise. I ran, biked and lifted weights without a problem for 6 months. My LLMD encourage me to do as much as I could tolerate.

--------------------
Mathias

Posts: 1242 | From New Jersey | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BorreliaBrain
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7603

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BorreliaBrain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Huh. Thanks for all the info everyone. Of course, I'm still confused, but I'm betting sweat not a good thing.... but then Mathias got away with it.

My doc says only walking etc... but, hey, I guess no one really knows for sure...

Right now having some PICC problems anyway, so it's a moot point.

Posts: 194 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement