LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Has anyone w/prolonged peripheral neuropathy gotten better?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Has anyone w/prolonged peripheral neuropathy gotten better?
lymebytes
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 11830

Icon 5 posted      Profile for lymebytes   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was just reading about the Central Nervous System and peripheral neuropathy, which has been my main problem since LD exploded/disseminated like a firestorm in my body after cortisone shots a year and half ago.

This pain of peripheral neuropathy has become impossible to live with and I am becoming hopeless it will ever go away.

I just was wondering if anyone here has had painful peripheral neuropathy for a very long time (this is important) a year or more and actually gotten better and no longer has it?

According to what I am reading when disease causes inflammation of the CNS, instead of repairing it (that is the "normal" function of inflammation - to repair) it damages it instead. Also, when inflammation is prolonged the more damage occurs.

This to me sounds like there is little hope of ever regaining normal neuro function and that a lifetime of peripheral neuropathy is very likely. I don't want to believe this, but it makes sense.

Anyone experienced with this, I would love to hear from you.

--------------------
www.truthaboutlymedisease.com

Posts: 2003 | From endemic area | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
charlie
Member # 25

Icon 6 posted      Profile for charlie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
....No it improves, I had burning feet I couldn't stand around 1999-2000, exacerbated by taking Martin Atkinson Barr doses of tinidazole.

I had to take neurontin and ultram for awhile just to sleep and couldn't wear shoes, fortunately living in the sunbelt that wasn't much of a problem.

It's slooooowly gotten better over the years and now I hardly notice it unless wearing tight stuff on my feet or feet getting hot under the covers.

you can and will get better.

Charlie

Posts: 2804 | From Texas | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Seadreamer
Member # 12341

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Seadreamer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi, First time that I have written on this Forum.
I have trouble with numbness since being on IV treatment for Lyme disease about 3 years ago. On oral antibiotics now, but pain and numbness is getting worse. Also, have Diabetes 2.

Have any of you seen a Neurologists for the peripheral neuropathy? Thanks for any information. Bonnie

Posts: 1 | From N.C. | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaliforniaLyme
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 7136

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CaliforniaLyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Re numbness my toes began to be numb and then it spread upwards toward my feet and got all the way up to right under my knees for a long time.

IV Rocephin, 9 months, made them normal again. Also had burning spots and sensations and the pricklies= all returned to absolute normal!!!

Best wishes,
Sarah

--------------------
There is no wealth but life.
-John Ruskin

All truth goes through 3 stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer

Posts: 5639 | From Aptos CA USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dguy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8979

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dguy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mine started with an arm injury in 2002. The pain was awful at first, but that subsided, and was replaced by numbness and tingling. I lost a great deal of functionality of the arm.

But recently, about a year and half into the treatment I'm doing, I've noticed the arm is getting better. For the first time in 5 years I am once again able to extend it!

Don't give up. Don't ever give up.

Posts: 727 | From USA | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymebytes
Member # 11830

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymebytes   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is good to hear that there is hope. My pain management Md said any pain that is shooting, burning, stabbing is nerve pain. I had that horribly and Amoxicillin helped it the most! But it has now morphed into this weird "patchy" nerve pain all over the place.

I have never been on IV and it blows my mind, as sick as I was I should have been hospitalized on IV for a month, I swear I nearly died, but was only put on orals!

I use to feel like I was walking on thumbtacks and I would get waves of heat in one of my feet, my whole left side from the shoulder hand, leg and foot were numb and tingling, but again Amoxi helped. My LLMd said there is actual proof that the penicillins do help nerve pain. Maybe I just need more.

But I am just lingering is this painful patches of nerve pain that pop up.

dguy - thanks, I do feel like giving up sometimes, thanks for your words of encouragement, they come at time I have been very discouraged.

Hi Bonnie - Welcome! No, I have never seen a neurologist since being diagnosed with LD. I saw 2 before being diagnosed and they just are so illiterate, I won't go to one, unless my LLMD knew of one that he could refer me to. None I have met understand this disease and realize the bacteria is the reason for the nerve pain/damage. I hope your diabetes is being treated, because this neuropathy can be almost identical. Be sure to visit my website, link below, for lots of info on LD. You might want to post your question in the main forum, where more people will see it, you will get a bigger response there and they need to welcome you, [Smile]

Thanks to everyone - neurontin here I come I guess.

--------------------
www.truthaboutlymedisease.com

Posts: 2003 | From endemic area | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerryK
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 8552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My neuropathy got a lot better on mino and doxy. I had burning in my hands and feet and crawling sensations along with numbness in my hands, arms, feet and legs and hypersensitivity in my hands. Some of the symptoms would come and go but the burning was constant for a number of years.

I'm only on babs meds now due to liver enzymes and my neuropathy is back at little.

Seadreamer, my dad had severe neuropathy caused by diabetes. Once he got his blood sugars under tight control, the neuropathy got sooooo much better that he didn't need much in the way of pain meds, same with my brother. They both had neuropathy for years. Didn't expect it to get better but it did.

Terry

Posts: 6286 | From Oregon | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lucy96734
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8372

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lucy96734     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Numbness and tinglingn were my first symptom about 7 years ago. It then progressed to alternating burning pain, and odd sensation that felt like I had a rubber band tight around the base of a limb cutting off circulation, creeping feelings, etc. I tried neurontin and various pain meds with little luck. Topomax and elavil helped some.

I had nerve damage show on the nerve conduction studies they did but with just shy of 2 years of orals for Lyme and Babs I can say YES! It gets better.

I get a random tingle or odd sensation now rather than constant. It is so nice. I am off the medications the neuro prescribed and it is still better, so much better. Night and day better.

--------------------
Lucy

Posts: 342 | From Hawaii | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
onthemend
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13454

Icon 1 posted      Profile for onthemend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bonnie, my whole body from my neck down to my toes was once 'on fire' - like a whole-body, 24/7, sun- or rug-burn. I really thought I would go out of my mind. Of all the horrible symptoms that I have experienced, that was the worst.

I've been on 400 mgs doxy daily, 10 mos now. I have only one burning patch left above my right knee, and even that goes away every now and then. Naturally I've had all of the other stabbing, stinging, burning, tingling stuff too, but this was different. I also had the burning/melting wax feeling from knees down - that too is not the same as the patchy burn you describe.

As I said, I had huge improvement in the burn you describe on doxy, and it is now almost completely gone. Hope you will be the same.

Out of curiosity: have you ever noticed a kind of jagged outline of your burning patch? mine is often outlined with a broken, jagged whitish line, almost like an animal bite.

otm

Posts: 314 | From east coast | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
onthemend
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13454

Icon 1 posted      Profile for onthemend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bonnie, my whole body from my neck down to my toes was once 'on fire' - like a whole-body, 24/7, sun- or rug-burn. I really thought I would go out of my mind. Of all the horrible symptoms that I have experienced, that was the worst.

I've been on 400 mgs doxy daily, 10 mos now. I have only one burning patch left above my right knee, and even that goes away every now and then. Naturally I've had all of the other stabbing, stinging, burning, tingling stuff too, but this was different. I also had the burning/melting wax feeling from knees down - that too is not the same as the patchy burn you describe.

As I said, I had huge improvement in the burn you describe on doxy, and it is now almost completely gone. Hope you will be the same.

Out of curiosity: have you ever noticed a kind of jagged outline of your burning patch? mine is often outlined with a broken, jagged whitish line, almost like an animal bite.

otm

Posts: 314 | From east coast | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lorima
Member # 11925

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lorima     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Lymebytes,

Sorry you're in pain. My husband has that. (I have mostly fatigue.) What meds and doses have you done so far?
Lorima

Posts: 74 | From MA | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
B R H
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 12159

Icon 1 posted      Profile for B R H     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw many neurologists & neurosurgeons for peripheral neuropathy. Nerve conduction studies aren't much fun! I had constant neuropathic pain & paresthesia from a spinal cord injury 10 years ago. The tick bites ("Lyme") only added to those troubles.

Both conditions only worsened after all treatments, including IV Rocephin, EXCEPT the Marshall Protocol. After about 7 months, the neuropathy in my left leg completely resolved & today (10 months) much of the paresthesia is gone too!

Posts: 246 | From Grass Valley, CA | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement