LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Extreme Connective Tissue Pain - Argh!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Extreme Connective Tissue Pain - Argh!
LocalMan
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11648

Icon 4 posted      Profile for LocalMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am in my 11th week of treatment for babs, and 2nd week for bart.

Meds (orals) = zithromax, plaquinil, mepron, septra.

Neck pain (c-6 area) and mid-back (t-8 area) and shoulder (rotator cuff) and achilles have been giving me various degrees of pain for many weeks now.

In last few days, neck sympt have gone thru the roof, with sensation that vertebra sawing into spine...

middle back is worse than it has ever been, feels like a big fork stuck into spine being twisted...

shoulder pain is just incredible, gets worse as night progresses, no sleep past 4am most days...

achilles flared up for I can handle for now but am leery that it to may go balistic...

oh yes and and one knee has suddenly gone ape, it seems to fire off randomly...

As I have posted before I have been a competitive distance runner for almost 30 years and have always maintained a high degree of fitness and strength. Now I may cannot even rake the leaves from my yard for fear of making things worse.

All that said, my question is, are there many cases out there of people with just extreme connective tissue problems who were able to pull out of it?

I will leave the cognitive and nerve issues alone for now.

LM

PS > I have tried to avoid adding Rx nsaids to my laundry list...neurontin and ibu/vicuprofen had been keeping me sane (?) until lately.

Posts: 212 | From Eastern CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aniek
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 5374

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aniek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Zanaflex helps that type of pain for me. My doctor started me off just taking it at night since it causes fatigue. I slept much better, which helps reduce pain as well.

I now take it once in the morning as well. Unfortunately, I just get too tired if I take it more than once in the day. I'm considering cutting the pills in half during the day (I take 4mg at night and 2mg in the day).

Taking it with food and coffee helps the fatigue, but I don't want to be drinking coffee every time I take it.

--------------------
"When there is pain, there are no words." - Toni Morrison

Posts: 4711 | From Washington, DC | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PBizzle
Member # 11463

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PBizzle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have severe connective tissue pain. My back is in constant pain. My ribs and shoulders are always sore. I can't even have someone press their fingers or hands against my chest because the pain is so intense.

Nothing helps. I've tried over-the-counter pain medications, prescription pain killers, Cymbalta, and the list goes on....

My doctor recently started me on Plaquenil since it works as an anti-inflammatory. I'm 3 weeks into it and so far I still feel miserable. He said it takes up to two months for it to start working correctly.

I'm impatiently waiting....

Posts: 81 | From Central PA | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
map1131
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 2022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for map1131     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I highly recommend a very goooooood massage therapist. Someone that works with chronic illness patients, like cancer patients and knows how to help sick bodies.

They must know how much touch and how deep they can go. This is not very deep massage. It's a process and it takes many treatments.

I've been with my Russian lady for 3 years. In the early days I went once a week for about 3 mths doing mostly lymph drainage, then every two weeks for months. The last 18 mths are every 3-4 weeks.

After my lymph nodes continue to flow on their own, we went to soft massage and she has felt great improvement on my soft tissue flexibility for 2 yrs. She says it's amazing how my tissue is today vs. three years ago.

If my soft tissue is inflammed when she gets to my back, it hurts. But you gotta do what you gotta do to move this toxins around and out.

Pam

--------------------
"Never, never, never, never, never give up" Winston Churchill

Posts: 6478 | From Louisville, Ky | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would blame the mepron/babesia. Once you get that cleared, your pain should get better.

I had my worst spine pain while going through treatment for babs.

-

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aniek
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 5374

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aniek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If this is a herx and temporary, then you might want to look into stronger narcotics. It doesn't help to be in so much pain that your body can't heal.

I don't think NSAIDs will do much of anything for you. They never touched my Lyme pain.

I know it sounds crazy, but try to keep your body moving. Stiffness is the worst thing for this type of pain. Even if it's just walking around your house or doing a little stretching.

--------------------
"When there is pain, there are no words." - Toni Morrison

Posts: 4711 | From Washington, DC | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LocalMan
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11648

Icon 5 posted      Profile for LocalMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Any more cases out there?
LM

Posts: 212 | From Eastern CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I guess I had a miracle for six months. The clindamycin took the fibro pain to zero within one week of starting it. 150mg 4x/day. It was a vacation, alright! I just have Lyme, no co's.
Posts: 13116 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5829

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ouch ouch... so sorry to hear of your pain. Ugggg!

This is very common. Unfortunately.

I wish there were answers. I use lemon juice in water to cut the lactic acid buildup in the muscles.

I use L-Glutamine powder to rebuild muscles.

As for others who have this problem... there are MANY MANY MANY. It is often misdiagnosed as fibromyalgia.

Aniek is right.. keep moving. If only to crawl! Gotta flush the blood through the muscles to remove "garbage".

My theory.. not scientific .. but what I've "supposed" for years is...

The spirochetes bury themselves in muscle tissue. The live, eat, poop and die there.

That creates toxins. Bad stuff.

Also.. they are destroying muscle tissue... so muscles tend to react to what they know is not suppose to be there, hence, pain.

I also feel Babesiosis is a big factor. Babs destroys the red blood cells which carry food and oxygen to the body. The muscles are "less vital" to survival, so they are either by-passed and/or are fighting for the O2 and nutrients and get little.

Kick Babs SLOWLY and you may see improvement. I usually do.

Again... my theory.

Hope you get some relief soon!

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerryK
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 8552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LocalMan,
Some very good advice from others.

In his book, Buhner talks about how the spirochetes turn collagen into soup (liquify it) so that it can be consumed by them for food so TC is right. You might check out his book "Healing Lyme" and employ some of his methods for collagen support.

I've been told that when the spirochetes die they die in the tissue and cause inflammation. This caused me no end of problems with my neck and knees and still does at times.

I employ a fairly aggressive anti-inflammatory regime.

digestive enzymes 2X per day on an empty stomach - eats debri - is a good anti-inflammatory

bromelain
quercitin
rutin
serraflazyme

I think some people here use wobenzyme.

Be sure to check with your doctor if you decide to take any of this and make sure they are compatible with your meds.

It sounds like you might also have trigger points. Those are part of myofascial pain and can be extremely painful making it hurt to be touched. I had that for years. Still do in some places. The guaifenesin protocol helped it but I was getting it back when I started lyme treatment probably because I was getting sicker. Lyme treatment has helped a lot.

There are massage therapists who can help with trigger points (specially trained) or you can try a theracane on your own. Search LN for info on the theracane. It can be painful working on them though. When my neck or shoulder has trigger points that are causing headaches, the theracane can give me immediate relief.

I hope you feel better soon.

Terry

Posts: 6286 | From Oregon | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement