LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » dramatic improvement on levaquin - who else?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: dramatic improvement on levaquin - who else?
Aligondo Bruce
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6219

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aligondo Bruce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey guys,

I have been experiencing big improvement on levaquin. I am wondering who else and the story. I had CDC positive lyme blots, bad spects,etc. I've had numerous course of IV therapy though and nothing really worked except for IV zithro and now levaquin.

The thing is, levaquin doesn't really work against lyme, at least, not in the laboratory. I have marginally positive basic bartonella serology. I have never been tested for brucella.

Anyway, while this is very good news, I'm curious as to what was making me sick. Whatever it was, it was nasty and it was causing an encephalopathy as reflected by my own symptoms and additionally moderate to severe global hypoperfusion on spect at CU.

I'm interested in other people's stories.

The major change so far in me is a decline in somnolence, sleepiness. It's only been two weeks and I can tell a difference - I am awake all day and less confused, whereas previously I had to nap every few hours and in general felt exhausted and disoriented to varying degrees even when I was awake. I've also noticed a reduction in pressure headaches and eye pain/burning, and a developing sense of overall 'good-feeling' or vitality. I'm even excited about celebrating christmas whereas for the past many years it has been a struggle.

Hopefully this trend will continue.

Posts: 523 | From Stillwater,OK,USA | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's working great for me, too!

I was seeing steady improvement since the beginning of treatment, from January till June. Then I went on Cipro for bacterial dysbiosis. I felt so much better on the Cipro, but at the time didn't relate it to that.

I went back on Amoxy and declined through the fall.

So, my LLMD clinically diagnosed me with bart because of my response to Cipro and started me on Levaquin. I felt bad the first six weeks and now am feeling the best I've felt in a long time.

I also did Humaworm and started on Limited Cowden about the same time, so I don't know how much my improvement is attributed to them.

I really turned the corner recently. [Smile]

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymeblue
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6897

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymeblue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Levaquin for me was the best after few years on biaxin,mepron,flagyl, etc....
Posts: 983 | From The sky | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
minoucat
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 5175

Icon 1 posted      Profile for minoucat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did 2 mo of rifampin, didn't see much change, then 2 mo of levaquin for bartonella.

I was in a lot of pain the entire time I was on levaquin.

But I was completely rid of bartonella when I got off it, and I had no permanent side effects.

Being rid of bartonella, and shortly after that finishing what appears to have been a successful tx for babesia, made an enormous difference.

--------------------

RECIDITE, PLEBES! Gero rem imperialem!
(Stand aside plebians! I am on imperial business.)

Posts: 2331 | From WA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
treepatrol
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 4117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for treepatrol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I ewas on levaquin I think it works on lyme antway first month herxed second not as bad felt pretty good 3 month then about half way through 4 month tear snap roll up a tendon in quad then one in my groin hurts immeadiatly taken off levaquin and sore tendons well into the second year! And ocasionally in the winter they get sore notsofar yet this winter though.

--------------------
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
Remember Iam not a Doctor Just someone struggling like you with Tick Borne Diseases.

Newbie Links

Posts: 10564 | From PA Where the Creeks are Red | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
feelfit
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 12770

Icon 1 posted      Profile for feelfit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Awesome!

Just wanted to say I,m so happy for you!

Tried to pm you after Thanksgiving but your box was full.

Oh boy, I hope that you are finaaly seeing the end!

Rhonda

Posts: 3975 | From usa | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
madge
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13704

Icon 1 posted      Profile for madge     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thanks. read your post and others..went to my husbands Dr. today and asked about Levaquin and the poss of Bart..he agreed..said it might work..he will take anything for help..has been 6 yrs and only 1 yr in treatment..bas head pain and eye pain all the time..very week and can't be around light or noise..so we are hoping..anything to help..good luck to you..and thanks to all and this site

--------------------
madgen

Posts: 342 | From newjersey | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm so happy for you, Bruce!! [woohoo]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seibertneurolyme
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 6416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seibertneurolyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bruce,

One other thing to be aware of is that Levaquin kills many other bacteria -- can't remember now if it is gram negative or gram posiitve bacteria that produce ammonia.

Hubby had elevated blood ammonia and symptoms of hepatic encephalopathy -- somnolence or almost a stupor after eating high protein meals plus mental confusion and increased neuro symptoms -- walked like a Parkinson's patient etc.

This was 4 years ago I think. Anyway hubby had the IV Rocephin (a 2 month course spread out over 3 months) and then he had the elevated blood ammonia issues for the next 5 months when he was off antibiotics.

Dr B clinically diagnosed Bart and put hubby on that. Initially for 1 month -- encephalopathy improved but didn't totally go away. After 2 more months on Levaquin the elevated blood ammonia returned to normal and encephalopathy symptoms had mostly been gone for the last 3 years or so.

Around the same time hubby's PCP did some testing and found an overgrowth of klebsiella and enterobacteria and a couple of other ammonia producing G.I. bacteria. These bacteria were not extremely elevated -- only mildly elevated.

I posted a link to a journal article recently saying that Bart also produces ammonia. Don't have the time to look for the previous post right now.

Glad you posted this. Just helps me to remember that the encephalopathy hubby has been having is most likely Bart related. Never believed that he was simply overmedicated.

Talked over notes from Dr B's speech with hubby and we came to the conclusion that the reason hubby's mental confusion has decreased is that while in the hospital he has been off antibiotics and for him the cytokine storm or inflammatory cascade caused by the IV Doxy has resolved. In other words he is over his herx reaction for now.

He has never been able to tolerate multiple antibiotics or get to therapeutic dose on many others. I really think the cytokine storm is a key issue for hubby.

Since September, oral Zithromax, IV Cipro and IV Doxy have all put hubby in the hospital. These are all Bart/mycoplasma meds.

Bruce -- If you have not been tested for Bart from the Fry lab by a bloodslide then I would suggest that testing. Otherwise, mycoplasma is also a possibility according to Dr B.

Bea Seibert

Posts: 7306 | From Martinsville,VA,USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement