LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » another bad Christmas

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: another bad Christmas
pineapple
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11904

Icon 9 posted      Profile for pineapple     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Another bad Christmas. My hopes were so great for this year. I hadn't been doing too badly. I was planning to do lots of baking on Christmas Eve and getting ready for family coming. After the last couple years of not feeling well I was hoping this would be different.

How could I be so naive??

Christmas Eve day about 12:30 I took a major wipe out on the ice in a parking lot. I went flying down and landed hard on my knees, then my head hit the ice. I saw stars and the next thing I know is I wake with my face on the ice and someone is helping me up. I hear my kids in the distant background yelling, "Mom, mom are you ok?"

I hopped to the vehicle with assistance and later the wonderful headache starts. I slept all evening and night. Every time I got up I thought my head would explode due to the pressure and I got nauseated. Started having shaking chills at bedtime. Temp 99.5

Christmas morning headache worse. Leg pain worse and swollen, can't walk. Vomiting. Slurred speech. Chills. Sweats. It's Christmas and I refuse to my husband to see an ER duck. Fever 101.5. Slept most of Christmas day. I even fell asleep with the gift in my hand when it was my turn to open. My husband made the kids something to eat, don't even remember what. I had no appetite.

This morning after continued constant headache I told my husband I was finally ready to see the doctor. He was relieved and gladly took me. My regular doc was off so I had to see a duck. When I told him I have Lyme he said, "you mean you had Lyme". I told him I was temporarily off of antibiotics but needed to go back on or the menningitis will come back.

He orderd a CT scan to rule out concussion and said if no concussion i had the flu. CT was normal, Xray said no broken leg. Duh I knew that. I was told to go back to dr. office by radiology staff to wait for dr opinion. I slept on a bench in the waiting room for one hour. A nurse walked by and asked why I was still there. I told her I was waiting to see the doc again to find out what to do and results of scan. She said wait here. She came back out and said "You don't have a concussion or a broken leg. Your bloodwork and fevers showed you have an infection of unknown origin. Doc wants you to take this script for Augmentin and take some Motrin for headache."

Unknown origin. Ha. This is the second time in months I've had to see a duck and they documented my fevers and abnormal blood counts for and 'unknown' infection.

Did I say that my head hurts??? Waaaaaa.

Posts: 339 | From nowhere | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Parisa
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10526

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Parisa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry you had such a horrible Christmas. At least you've ruled out the concussion and broken leg. The rest you already know about. So, you used the ER for what it's good for.

Hope next year goes better for you.

Posts: 984 | From San Diego | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wiserforit
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9732

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wiserforit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh gosh, Pineapple!

Lyme or not, my first reaction was "oh no, concussion!" I'm glad it wasn't, but that kind of body trauma would absolutely stir up alot of stuff! I'm so sorry for this bad turn of events!

In my experience, falling or hurting myself or even just catching a flu or cold makes the quieter Lyme symptoms get real angry. For that matter, even getting real emotional can set off my physical stuff....

The duck sounded like a real jerk. Does the Augmentin do anything in treating your "infection of unknown origin" aka Awakened-Lyme?

So, major setback in you holiday plans...as the I-Ching book tends to say all the time, "no blame." Sometimes rest is the only answer. Take a deep breath, epsom salt baths, be kind to yourself, keep loving your family and "just be" through the New Year to mend and heal.

Thinking of you and sending you blessings.

Love,

wiserforit

Posts: 508 | From Banks of the Hudson | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pineapple
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11904

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pineapple     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Definitely the flu. Sweats, chills, fevers, and the barfs continue. [puke]

Oh what fun!!

At least THIS I will get over.

Posts: 339 | From nowhere | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geneal
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 10375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geneal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I sure hope this passes soon.

Watch the yeast on that augmentin. It grows it pretty darn fast.

I am so sorry you had a miserable Christmas.

When you feel better, pick a day to "officially celebrate" Christmas. [Smile]

Sending you healing thoughts and prayers.

Hugs,

Geneal

Posts: 6250 | From Louisiana | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
disturbedme
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 12346

Icon 1 posted      Profile for disturbedme   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, I'm so sorry you had to go through all this.

Do you think the flu started because of the fall you took?

[group hug] Sorry you had to deal with the duck. But at least you know you don't have a concussion from it.

--------------------
One can never consent to creep when one feels an impulse to soar.
~ Helen Keller

My Lyme Story

Posts: 2965 | From Land of Confusion (bitten in KS, moved to PA, now living in MD) | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeladyinNY
Member # 10235

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeladyinNY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, so sorry this happened to you.

I think probably you DID get sick from having that nasty fall. Opportunistic crap!

Take it easy and soon it will be another bad memory!

- Julie

--------------------
I want to be free

Posts: 1170 | From Endicott, NY | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vermont_Lymie
Member # 9780

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vermont_Lymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So sorry about your not feeling well! The flu is bad enough but that fall sounds awful.

I hope you can get some good rest and alot of help for the next couple of weeks. It sounds like a mild concussion to me, no matter what the CT scan says.

I had a head injury almost a year ago, and the doctor insisted that i have a ct scan. The radiologist reported that my CT scan was within normal limits, but the doctor told me that I had a mild concussion. Your symptoms are classic (like mine were) -- the headache, sleepiness, slurred speech and nausea. If you saw stars and blacked out for a second, that also means mild concussion.

Well, there is not really anything one does for a mild concussion, other than rest and recovery. Take it easy and feel better!

Posts: 2557 | From home | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tracy9
Member # 7521

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tracy9         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree; I've had three concussions and no one ever did a CT scan; they diagnosed them by the symptoms, same as you described, exactly.

--------------------
NO PM; CONTACT: [email protected]

13 years Lyme & Co.; Small Fiber Neuropathy; Myasthenia Gravis, Adrenal Insufficiency. On chemo for 2 1/2 years as experimental treatment for MG.

Posts: 4480 | From Northeastern Connecticut | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pineapple
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11904

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pineapple     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know, weird, isn't it? My husband asked if a concussion will always show on the CT scan and the doc said no, so its weird they didn't even have me come back into the room after the scan to talk to me. You would think at least they would say, right now it doesn't look as if there is any indication on the CT scan, but these are the things you need to watch out for..... and if it worsens.... come back in.

I am less dizzy tonight but muscles feel like lead boots on.

Cancelled the family coming for the weekend and kids are still pouting, and I'm sad since I only get to see my family from out of state once in a while.

I stayed in bed most of day slept on and off.

Yes, I do think I had a mild concussion and the flu just happened to come at the same time. Doesn't hurt now to turn my eyeballs so that is good.

Tincup
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5829

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OUCH OUCH PINAPPLE!!! Sorry that you got caught kissing the pavement! NOT fun!

You said about the duck... "When I told him I have Lyme he said, "you mean you had Lyme".

I believe that's the exact moment I would have told him to go sit on my Christmas tree.

Ho Ho Ho!

Hope your new year is a happy one! Feel better soon!

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement