LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Zithro for Bart =headaches and stomach pain

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Zithro for Bart =headaches and stomach pain
Stacyb
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13084

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stacyb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Has anyone tried Zithro for Bartonella and gotten headaches (lots of pressure/squeezing and ear pain)and or stomach issues (nausea and pain)???
I started on this 4 days ago.
I am new to all this as I was just diagnosed with Bart.
Any info. on Bart. treatment sucess or which abx works the best for this?? Or how long until any relief?
Seems everyone has their favorite abx single or combo approach to Bart from reading the posts here.
Seems many go to IV treatment too. My LLMD says it is hard to get Ins. to pay for this and uses orals.
Do the IV treatments work better or faster??

Posts: 476 | From Columbus, Ohio | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geneal
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 10375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geneal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had zith with malarone for babesia not bart.

I was on rifampin for bartonella.

I too, got horrible stomach aches with zith.

The key for me was not to take it with food.

I would take it about one hour after I ate and no more stomach ache.

The headache may be a herx.

Hugs,

Geneal

Posts: 6250 | From Louisiana | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I took Levaquin for bart for three months and it really seemed to do the trick. I switched a month ago to Rifampin because my LLMD didn't want to keep me on that strong of a med. for any longer, but he didn't want to stop the bart treatment prematurely.

I'm on a bunch of other stuff for Lyme and babs.

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaliforniaLyme
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 7136

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CaliforniaLyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Zithromax will cause stomach and gastro pain for some people!! can also cause you to have to suddenly defecate- no fun!

the headache thing sounds like a Bart herx-

--------------------
There is no wealth but life.
-John Ruskin

All truth goes through 3 stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer

Posts: 5639 | From Aptos CA USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stacyb
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13084

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stacyb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,

Thanks for the info. everyone.
I am still in nauseau and pain and constapation too. Feel gassy and bloated too and no appetite.
I tried some charcoal and stomach herbs like slippery elm and cramp bark with a little relief.
Any other suggestions?
Are these symptoms common on abx or Zithro or in general with Bart. and or treatment.
Trying to hang in there.

Posts: 476 | From Columbus, Ohio | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clarissa
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 4715

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Clarissa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How is your diet?

I couldn't tolerate Zith 5 years ago when first treated for Lyme. I would lay on the cold tiles, writhing in abdominal pain.

And yes, the runs. Finally, they had to put me on IV Rocephin.

I "think", for me, it was Candida...an imbalance in my gut flora for all the years of abx I took for acne (sigh)...what a mess.

Anyway, fast forward to Sept 2007, I was diagnosed with Bart. Good thing I decided in April to get my yeast thing under control. I bought the book Yeast Connection and totally cut out sugar, bread, alcohol, etc and also got on probiotics such as:

Primal Defense
Florastor
Natren Trinity
Diflucan for 3 mos)
(Per another member, Diflucan CANNOT be taken wuts certain Bart drugs...I think it was Rifampin)

Now, I can stomach 750 mg of Zith daily with NONE of those problems. I take 500 mg in one dose but only AFTER a big meal. Definitely must take WITH food.

So, yeah...could candida be an issue for you?

Just a thought.

--------------------
Clarissa

Because I knew you:
I have been changed for good.

-

Posts: 1625 | From Florida | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
djf2005
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 11449

Icon 1 posted      Profile for djf2005     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i have the head pain and it never goes away, just changes in severity.

i treated bart, babs, and lyme.

now to do them all again [Smile]

good luck, you may want to try drugs like levaquin, cipro, etc for a 3 month course, they are strong but take it easy... my tendons are still sore [Smile]

cheers

derek

--------------------
"Experience is not what happens to you; it is what you do with what happens to you."

[email protected]

Posts: 2269 | From Lansdowne, Pa | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
listenswithcare
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10719

Icon 1 posted      Profile for listenswithcare     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not sure about the headache. I used to have them alot before treatment. Now I get them every once in a while.

I have Bart and Lyme. I'm still on treatment, part of that is 600 MG Zith 4 times per week.

Zith was hard to get a handle on, so be patient.

I found that I needed to take it on an empty stomach, but NOT first thing in the morning. I like to take it 2-3 hours after lunch and at least 1 hour before dinner.

I use Theralac as a probiotic every morning along with another probiotic called Polydophilus. Then at lunch I take 1 Sacchromyces B. and I also take one of those at bedtime.

For me the Theralac and Sacchromyces are the life savers. I rarely have stomach pain with Zith anymore. And, if I do, it is usually because I am due for the Sacchromyces pill.

Of course diet is also key. I try hard not to have any sugar, but invariably, I end up having a little bit here and there.

Garlic is also good. Someone shared recently about crushing a clove or two and swallowing it down. Following it my eating some fresh parsley.

When I eat fresh garlic like that, my stomach does not like it, but I tried the fresh parsley and my stomach was happy again. It is also suppossed to stop the garlic smell....

Add some detox to your regime if you are not already doing it, that should help the headaches pass. Don't give up. Just try different ways/times of taking the Zith and don't forget the probiotics!

I have been taking Zith since last April.

Robin

Posts: 276 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
knshore
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13451

Icon 1 posted      Profile for knshore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm also on Zith (but only Zith) and it has made me my nausea even worse than it already was. I called my LLMD and they called in a script for anti-nausea meds because I couldn't eat.

It could also be a candida/yeast issue.

Posts: 215 | From Student | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
luvdogs
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9507

Icon 1 posted      Profile for luvdogs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I recently switched from IV zith to oral. I immediately had horrible stomach probaems with the oral. So then I inrceased my probiotics (theralac and culturelle) and it got better.

Then I started to relapse because the potency of the oral vs. the IV was so much less. So they upped my oral intake of zith and that took care of the Lyme/bart sx/relapse. But my stomach immediately got worse - so I again increased the probiotic intake and no more GI problems.

Hope this helps. Feel better!

Posts: 588 | From Rhode Island | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
roro
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13383

Icon 1 posted      Profile for roro     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was on doxy/rifampin/zithromax where i took the rifampin M-F and the zithro on the weekends.

i got horrible headaches from the zithro. right sided, behind eye, pressure, squeezing pain.

my dr said it was a herx, switch me to biaxin, said same class as zithro but not as strong so i dont herx so bad.

Posts: 615 | From maryland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stacyb
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13084

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the repsonses. I have not checked back on this and was PM-ing some folks too.
I also am having ear pressure and one of the poster said to call my LLMD quick as Zithro can cause hearing loss.
Anyway I do take probiotics- Dr. Ohhara's 2 per day as directed by my LLMD but I see here alot of folks take many other brands.
I just ran the test for candida (yeast) so that will take a week or 2 to come back as I thought it could be yeast causing stomach issues too.
I have noticed if I take the 2 caps probiotics together at night even with food (which was recommended) it causes me more nauseau the next morning and day. So I split it now at least 2 hrs away from my abx.
Wonder if I am intollerable of the probiotics if that does indicate yeast too?

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement