LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Odd thyroid result

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Odd thyroid result
lymie_in_md
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 14197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymie_in_md     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was bitten by a tick the first week in January. I had my doctor do a thyroid test and got some very strange results, it reported a TSH of 55.09 (reference range 0.5-5.5). My last test was done in Oct 30, 2007 and was 1.33. Any ideas why the thyroid test would come back that spiked? Could I have inherited a new coinfection?

[confused]

--------------------
Bob

Posts: 2150 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
disturbedme
Member # 12346

Icon 1 posted      Profile for disturbedme   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sometimes the spirochetes/disease like to take up residence in the thyroid and make it go haywire. It's just like when the disease also gets into our joints and makes them stiff, etc. Same with neuro lyme, the spirochetes have chosen the brain, etc., etc.

Many people with Lyme disease have hypothyroidism/hashimotos disease or even hyperthyroidism.

I have hypothyroidism and have to take thyroid hormone.

I actually found out I had hypothyroidism before I found out I had lyme and that threw me off big time. For a long time I thought my problem was my thyroid and I wasn't getting enough hormone replacement, etc. Didn't realize it WASN'T my thyroid until I was on Synthroid for a long time and the numbers were back to normal and I was still feeling TERRIBLE as ever.

That's when I had to continue my search and then finally found out I had Lyme disease/Bartonella/etc.

--------------------
One can never consent to creep when one feels an impulse to soar.
~ Helen Keller

My Lyme Story

Posts: 2965 | From Land of Confusion (bitten in KS, moved to PA, now living in MD) | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very common in Lyme patients! Lyme disease can attack every organ in your body. Be sure to find a good LLMD and get treated!!

More info:
http://www.ILADS.org/

Wild Condor's Links and information:
http://www.wildcondor.com/lymelinks.html

-

Persistence article and other excellent articles about LD at
http://www.lymeinfo.net/lymefiles.html

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
B R H
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 12159

Icon 1 posted      Profile for B R H     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The same thing happened to me. So many people report thyroid issues here. On the MP website, you find the same reports except you'll also find patients whose thyroid function has returned to normal (i.e., no more thyroid medication necessary!) after a year or so on MP.

Conventional medical "wisdom" would have you believe your own immune system is attacking your thyroid for some "unknown reason." I think my immune system is pretty smart. My immune system is simply trying to eliminate an infection in my thyroid! Makes perfect sense to me!

Posts: 246 | From Grass Valley, CA | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymie_in_md
Member # 14197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymie_in_md     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My thyroid prior to October was high at 6.5 and it did return to normal at 1.33. I think being bitten again must have brought on a new infection my body has to respond to. So, I'll work with my alternative doctor to increase the armour thyroid. I'll see him on the 6th. On my insurance, my primary thought it was just a viral infection.

Ahhhh, so many doctors so little time.

--------------------
Bob

Posts: 2150 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
lymie, also one of my tests was outragious; we discovered the typist made a mistake and put the decimal in the WRONG place making it extremely high. have that checked out too. [Wink]
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aiden424
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7633

Icon 1 posted      Profile for aiden424     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I didn't start having problems with my thyroid until years after I got lyme. Well I probably had symtoms for years, but was so sick with lyme I couldn't tell the difference. I wish I had caught it sooner though.

My TSH went from .04 which is hyperthyroid, from taking synthroid. I stopped the synthroid for 5 weeks and had another TSH done and it was 116.

I think lyme wiped out my thyroid.

Kathy

--------------------
You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.

Posts: 807 | From South Dakota | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DoctorLuddite
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13853

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DoctorLuddite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
keep in mind that TSH comes from the brain based on the brain's (unconscious) interpretation of how much thyroid hormone is needed. I have never seen a TSH that high, so before jumping to conclusions I suggest you retest. You said you had a recent tick bite, had you been diagnosed with Lyme in the past? If your immune system has previously been challenged with BB and then you were rechallenged, the immune system response would trigger the brain to release more TSH to upregulate the metabolism to help it respond, on the other hand, you may have antithyroglobulin antibodies that are up regulated from the immune stimulation, and they are preventing your thyroid from responding to the TSH. In any event, you need careful eval, and Vitamin D level is very important here, so that should be checked too.
Posts: 442 | From Biddeford, ME | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aiden424
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7633

Icon 1 posted      Profile for aiden424     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Your TSH can be that high. They retested mine several times and it came back the same everytime. My doctor said the highest he's seen is 130.

Kathy

--------------------
You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.

Posts: 807 | From South Dakota | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymie_in_md
Member # 14197

I'm not that fatigued, so I'm guessing something is wrong with the test. My Primary got concerned enough to provide a referal to an endocronilogist (oh they hate doing that) and I have a retest next week.

I appreciate the replies and I will worry about when I have a new result. [kiss]

--------------------
Bob

lymie_in_md
Member # 14197

If vitamin D is either high or low, would that disregulate the brains production of TSH? One thing that I noticed from a recent hair analysis is my calcium level is very high.

--------------------
Bob

DoctorLuddite
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13853

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DoctorLuddite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've seen a fair number of people with mild elevations of TSH normalize when their deficiency is corrected, or even see them become over corrected when they are already on synthroid, but a level as high as yours should prompt a recheck and if persistent, an autoimmune workup, and other metabolic tests to assess liver, kidney function and electrolytes, as well as the T3, T4 and reverse T3. If your Calcium level is high, you should also have the 1,25 dihydroxy D level and a parathyroid hormone level tested and for the time being stay away from calcium supplements if you have been taking any...
Posts: 442 | From Biddeford, ME | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymie_in_md
Member # 14197

Thanks for the information and insight it is very helpful. I haven't taken calcium supplements fortunately, but my diet had way too much calcium in it. I've been trying to reduce calcium as much as possible when I got the results back making sure calcium is about 75% of daily requirement for a couple of months and then retest. I believe that is working, I'll know next week what the the thyroid retest shows and I'll post it.

I will take the information to an endocronilogist to make sure I get the necessary tests. Especially the parathyroid.

--------------------
Bob

lymie_in_md
Member # 14197

Thanks for the information and insight it is very helpful. I haven't taken calcium supplements fortunately, but my diet had way too much calcium in it. I've been trying to reduce calcium as much as possible when I got the results back making sure calcium is about 75% of daily requirement for a couple of months and then retest. I believe that is working, I'll know next week what the the thyroid retest shows and I'll post it.

I will take the information to an endocronilogist to make sure I get the necessary tests. Especially the parathyroid.

--------------------
Bob

aiden424
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7633

I agree you should have a autoimmune workup. I did, and I do have Hoshimoto's. I also have a goiter and hypothyroidism.

Kathy

--------------------

pamoisondelune
Member # 11846

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pamoisondelune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My TSH was at 160 when i was first diagnosed.

Now the thyroid has been a problem, i can't figure it out: hair falling out--- is it low thyroid (TSH 30), or alopecia areata autoimmune, or both? My free T4 was normal. I've been on Armour for 2 days and feel much better.

Thanks for the info from DrLuddite!

Posts: 1226 | From USA | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
B R H
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 12159

Icon 1 posted      Profile for B R H     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just don't forget that thyroid medication (hormone supplementation) is palliative. It may relieve some of your symptoms, but does not cure anything. You will most likely have to take the thyroid medication the rest of your life.

I find it pretty encouraging that a number of people on MP have been able to stop thyroid supplementation. It's so obvious to me that hypothyroidism not due to surgery or injury is due to chronic infection. Curing the infection should cure the hypothyroidism!

Posts: 246 | From Grass Valley, CA | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itsy_bitsyone
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mine spiked to 38...

They OD'ed me on thyroid meds (I do not test positive for hashi's)...

Got much worse. Went off them on my own.

Untreated, its been as low as 3 and as high as 6, and still fluctuates some. Its high enough that I am considered to be hypothyroid but I haven't treated in years.

My advice, retest in a month and then go on replacement if still necessary, getting retested every few months, adjusting the meds as necessary. Also do Ft4 and Ft3 tests with the TSH so to be sure...its your Ft4 and ft3 that really are the indicators of how much replacement you need.

Remember, TSH comes from the pituitary...its the regulator hormone. SO, if your TSH remains high and your T's go higher...you need to get the brain checked before doing thyroid replacement!!

Good luck!

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pamoisondelune
Member # 11846

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pamoisondelune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh,PS, the TSH 160 was not a typo--- the lab person wrote that he ran it through again on dilute to check, then phoned my doctor.

A local GP says that 160 is NOT the highest he has seen.

Posts: 1226 | From USA | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
B R H
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 12159

I'm curious what your values for free T3 & T4 were. I've noticed no benefit whatsoever from thyroid supplementation & my test results have often been contradictory. I did have my first normal TSH since the tick bites after starting MP.
B R H
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 12159

That is a high value, but I have seen even higher values reported on the MP message boards.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement