LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » FIR Saunas: Zip-up V Wooden ones??

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: FIR Saunas: Zip-up V Wooden ones??
ElaineC
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9857

Icon 5 posted      Profile for ElaineC     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are the portable zip-up FIR saunas effective or less effective than the wooden ones?

I can't afford or don't have the space for a wooden one, so thought the zip-up might be a good alternative.....but as the head is uncovered in these, does that make them less effective?

Anyone using the portable zip-up ones with good results?

Thanks

Posts: 261 | From Herx-ville!! | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kelmo
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 8797

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kelmo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We are limited on space, as well. And...we figure a portable zip up will serve my daughter in the long run should she go into remission and move out on her own someday.

She has used one for two years, and really loves it. Sweat is sweat.

Posts: 2903 | From AZ | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElaineC
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9857

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ElaineC     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Kelmo!

Any other opinions on this??

Posts: 261 | From Herx-ville!! | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-

Kelmo,

I, too, have been interested in the zip up kind as cost of others is just too high.

I tried an infrared heater but it's too hot and highly directional.

I have trouble with the smells of new vinyl. Can you tell me if the type you have is vinyl, did it smell or require airing out before you could use it ?

So that we can find a link, can you share the brand name of yours since you are so fond of it ?

Ohhhh, does it make any sound? Is there a fan ? Any beeps or buzzes that cannot be circumvented ?

thanks.

-

[ 03. March 2008, 03:06 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
listenswithcare
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10719

Icon 1 posted      Profile for listenswithcare     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have read opinions that suggest having the head outside of the sauna area is a good thing. This keeps you from inhaling any gases you are putting off in the sweating process.

I looked into both wooden and portable zip ups. Both seemed bulky and cumbersome to me. I ended up getting a BioMat and I really like it. It is a far-infrared amethyst crystal mat. I just leave it on my spare bedroom bed and use it any time I want. It doesn't take up extra space and I can lie down while I am getting "treated".

Robin

Posts: 276 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymie_in_md
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 14197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymie_in_md     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a portable I've been using for about a 1 year. It was the cheapest one I could find -- 200 dollars. I noticed no smell and found my neck and head would sweat despite not being inside the unit. There was no perceptable noice from the unit except to lightly beep when the session timer clicked on.

I had a simple routine, first I would start a hot bath and let the tub fill putting a cup of sea salt in the water. I would warm up the portable unit. Bath for about 10 minutes in water as hot as my body would stand. I think this is the fastest way to raise body temperature. Dry off and step into the sauna for about 20 minutes.

I would be soaked from the sweat in about 10 minutes. While in the sauna I would use a cloth to continue to soak up as much sweat as I could. Once finished with the sauna, I would step into the bath and remove the remaining sweat hoping it didn't reabsorb into my skin.

I don't think you need an expensive system. I like the idea my head is free from the heat and toxins circulating in the air.

Hope this helps [Smile]

--------------------
Bob

Posts: 2150 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElaineC
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9857

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ElaineC     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks guys for those replies! Really appreciate the advice!

Sounds like the zip-up one is a good option!

Robin, I will also check out the Bio-mat you mention....someone else had told me about this and she swears by it!

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement