LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Pediatrician says Bartonella does not need treatment per CDC

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Pediatrician says Bartonella does not need treatment per CDC
amkdiaries
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7035

Icon 1 posted      Profile for amkdiaries   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just came from my daughter's pediatrician and asked him to retest her for Bartonella as she had positive antibody titres last year. He reluctantly agreed but told me the CDC just came out with a report that says that Bartonella will go away on its own.

I find this hard to believe and was wondering if anyone else has heard of this? Thanks!

Posts: 425 | From NY, United States | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
disturbedme
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 12346

Icon 1 posted      Profile for disturbedme   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All I have to say is: Aughhh, the CDC. [Mad] [cussing]

--------------------
One can never consent to creep when one feels an impulse to soar.
~ Helen Keller

My Lyme Story

Posts: 2965 | From Land of Confusion (bitten in KS, moved to PA, now living in MD) | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yanivnaced
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13212

Icon 1 posted      Profile for yanivnaced     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it might be self-limiting in the absence of lyme (or maybe even in the presence of Lyme? Do we truly know?)

When I was a kid my pet cat bit my hand to the bone. I had a fever following that but never went to see a doctor. It went away on its own.

Posts: 655 | From USA | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sojourner
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9424

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sojourner     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The acute illness went away, but how do we know that an even more insidious, chronic, stealthy infection didn't become established?
Posts: 554 | From Naples, Italy | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
adamm
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wouldn't trust it to be self-limiting ever.

You need an LLMD for all tick-borne infections;

I personally know someone who'd have died of unaccompanied

Ehrlichiosis if he hadn't found one.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey am...

You said.. "He reluctantly agreed but told me the CDC just came out with a report that says that Bartonella will go away on its own."

First thing I would do is call the office and ask them to send you that report.

As far as I know they still don't admit ticks carry Bartonella.. so they are NOT with the program at all.

And yes, early reports were that Bartonella was a "self-limited" illness... but the Bumsteere gang said that about Lyme too.. for a LONG time.

So please follow through as Bartonella can be as bad or worse to get rid of than Lyme.

OK?

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amkdiaries
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7035

Icon 1 posted      Profile for amkdiaries   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You are right Tincup-OK!
Posts: 425 | From NY, United States | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daise
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I second the motion.

daise [Smile]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Visual Afterimage Man
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10435

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Visual Afterimage Man     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This MIGHT be true in an individual who has a normal immune system function.

Lyme suppresses the immune system.

So someone suffering from Lyme probably isn't going to kick Bart w/o meds. No immune systems means no defense.

--------------------
26 months of treatment. And counting.......

Posts: 298 | From Northeast Kansas | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hiker53
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 6046

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hiker53     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The CDC is not considering the "bartonella like organisms" that Dr. B talks about. Hiker53

--------------------
Hiker53

"God is light. In Him there is no
darkness." 1John 1:5

Posts: 8890 | From Illinois | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cold Feet
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9882

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cold Feet   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A possible next step...a picture is worth a thousand words! See the 2 photos here:

http://www.frylaboratories.com/photos.html

Evidence of infection helps all involved (patient, family and the stubborn PCP). It's not a solution, but often a very constructive first step to take in the long journey.

Fry Labs requires payment up front, but some-many insurance companies will reimburse the patient.

No, I don't work for them -- I just see many patients get valuable information from their services!

--------------------
My biofilm film: www.whyamistillsick.com
2004 Mycoplasma Pneumonia
2006 Positive after 2 years of hell
2006-08 Marshall Protocol. Killed many bug species
2009 - Beating candida, doing better
Lahey Clinic in Mass: what a racquet!

Posts: 830 | From Mass. | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kelmo
Member # 8797

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kelmo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow...he's gotten fancy. My daughter was one of the early patients to get her blood smear done

I would even add that bartonella is also transmitted by lice and mosquitoes. We don't ever recall a tick bite, but my daughter has had numerous mosquito bites on our trips to OK, and in first grade, she kept getting lice from a little girl who's parents didn't treat. [Mad]

It's very difficult to treat. I am not sure it is self-limiting. I think it goes into remission if your immune system is healthy.

Dr. F (blood guy), thinks that I may have had a good immune system keeping my bartonella suppressed, and now it's starting to show itself with seizures, vision problems, fatigue, and depression.

I may have gotten infected as long ago as 1990 when my husband and I were sick for three years with EBV. Then, I got Parvo, then a weird double viral pneumonia.

I'm putting off treatment....I really don't want to go back to the place I was in 1990. I need to take care of too many people.

If you suspect bart...get tested and treat it.

Posts: 2903 | From AZ | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
valymemom
Member # 7076

Icon 1 posted      Profile for valymemom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Llmds in our area are saying that bartonella & the bart-like strains that Dr. B.speaks of are nasty players in this disease & preventing folks from getting well.
Posts: 1240 | From Centreville,VA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement