LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » treatment for babs while on doxy?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: treatment for babs while on doxy?
roro
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13383

Icon 1 posted      Profile for roro     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
last two visits to LLMD he has talked about babs tx. (I think malerone, maybe mepron? one or the other)

this last time he said if I go on it, I can't take the doxy with it. everytime I reduce my doxy, or even take the generic brand, I get fevers and sweats until I go back on it

I am on rifampin, doxy, and biaxin. i am also afraid to go off the rifampin because of the bart.

this past visit he had me go up to 300 on the doxy and I added artemesia

he assures me that the biaxin is chipping away at the babs anyway, but I probably need to treat it more aggressively. and I dont want to lose ground with the lyme or bart

what else goes with mapron or malerone?

Posts: 615 | From maryland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I took mino, rifampin, and malarone together, I don't know why doxy would be any different.

I also took doxy, mepron, and biaxin.

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
roro
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13383

Icon 1 posted      Profile for roro     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ok, then maybe its the rifampin or the doxy, i would have to go off one of them
Posts: 615 | From maryland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know why you would! I took almost the same combo as you are on with Malarone .... minus the Biaxin.

--------------------

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
roro
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13383

it looks like from your combo, the rifampin goes with malerone, but not with doxy. the mepron goes with doxy, but not with rifampin.

i will ask him next time i go, maybe i only have to go off one or the other.

charlie
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 25

Icon 6 posted      Profile for charlie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
....you might consider adding bactrim if you can take sulfa.

Charlie

Posts: 2804 | From Texas | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

quote:
Originally posted by roro:
it looks like from your combo, the rifampin goes with malerone, but not with the doxy

Actually, I did take mino with the rifampin and malarone ..... I don't know whether doxy is that much different from mino, so I don't know why it also wouldn't work. I think the doxy would work with the rifampin and malarone.

There might be some other reason he doesn't want you on all of them together ... I don't think there's an interaction.

--------------------

lymednva
Member # 9098

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymednva     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been taking doxy, biaxin, mepron, plus a bunch of other stuff since August and am feeling like it's making a difference.

Been on doxy a year, and about to stop it, after discussion with LLMD. Told him I'm tired of having to avoid dairy at breakfast and dinner, while also trying to eat high fat meals!

--------------------
Lymednva

Posts: 2407 | From over the river and through the woods | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dawn in VA
Member # 9693

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dawn in VA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Roro, you said:

"t looks like from your combo, the rifampin goes with malerone, but not with doxy. the mepron goes with doxy, but not with rifampin."

Keep in mind that mepron is one of the 2 drugs in malarone.

--------------------
(The ole disclaimer: I'm not a doctor.)

Posts: 1349 | From VA | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monica922
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13496

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Monica922     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now I am confused...can you take doxy, zith and mepron?
Posts: 422 | From CT | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

quote:
Originally posted by Monica922:
Now I am confused...can you take doxy, zith and mepron?

Yes.

It's the Rifampin that interacts with so many drugs.

--------------------

Monica922
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13496

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Monica922     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whew...thanks six...wish me luck. I am starting out low 100 twice a day...then I will try to take more.
Posts: 422 | From CT | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
roro
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13383

then if malerone contains mepron, then it must be safe to take both coxy and rifampin
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

quote:
Originally posted by roro:
then if malerone contains mepron, then it must be safe to take both coxy and rifampin

At Drugs.com it says it increases the metabolism of Biaxin.

It also says this:

quote:
Other Interactions: When the two drugs were taken concomitantly, decreased concentrations of atovaquone and increased concentrations of Rifampin were observed.

--------------------

roro
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13383

i just remembered, plaquenil was one of the ones he was thinking of putting me on.
groovy2
Member # 6304

Icon 1 posted      Profile for groovy2   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi All-

On LN last week someone wrote in a post
about the same question --

They said that they called the pharmacy
and they said not to take Doxi with mepron-

Thats the first time I have heard that
about taking Doxi and Mepron together -

I will look and see if I can find the
post again-- Jay --

Posts: 2999 | From Austin tx USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Jay, you are correct. I asked my LLMD about it and he said he has had good results on that combo, so he still uses it, but you are correct.

Roro, I take Plaquenil. It is anti-malarial, a cyst-buster, and helps the abx work better. I've been on it about my whole treatment.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement