LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » How long do you stick with rifampin w/o improvement?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: How long do you stick with rifampin w/o improvement?
swedish lyme sufferer
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14579

Icon 1 posted      Profile for swedish lyme sufferer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
2 and 1/2 month in to zithromax/rifampin and still feeling awful. Bloodwork fine.

Sore throat
horrible twithing
fatigue
constant low grade fever
malaise
pain between shoulderblades
light nightsweats

how long before change of meds?
would you add bicillin to the mix?
(maybe this is just not enough to hit the lyme.)

Posts: 347 | From sweden | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
METALLlC BLUE
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 6628

Icon 1 posted      Profile for METALLlC BLUE     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Who is treating you? PM me if you would. As far as Rifampin goes, it can take quite awhile. 4-6 months or longer.

I'm assuming Bartonella is suspected or present? Levaquin was used previously? If so did you have side effects?

--------------------
I am not a physician, so do your own research to confirm any ideas given and then speak with a health care provider you trust.

E-mail: [email protected]

Posts: 4157 | From Western Massachusetts | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
valymemom
Member # 7076

Icon 1 posted      Profile for valymemom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ditto to the timeline given above!
Posts: 1240 | From Centreville,VA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seibertneurolyme
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 6416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seibertneurolyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you are thinking of adding a med, my first suggestion would be a babesia med. Many including hubby have babesia symptoms come out when treating bart or vice versa.

Both bart and babs like the red blood cells so it makes sense that treating one would effect the other.

Bea Seibert

Posts: 7306 | From Martinsville,VA,USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clarissa
Member # 4715

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Clarissa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I didn't really turn the corner until my 3rd month of the same protocol you're on. I went off meds after 5 mos due to a clear Fry lab, muscle testing and clinical symptoms gone.

I believe my protocol was on the "short" side of Bart treatment. Many have been on the same protocol for 6-9 mos and then need Levaquin after that.

Not trying to bring you down. You just need to keep it in perspective because there are so many different strains of Bart and everyone takes different lengths of time.

Surely you will not be at the herxing level with these symptoms the entire time...but it does take time for the massive herxing to settle down. [Frown]

I'm so sorry you're suffering and I know how it feels to want time to just pass so you can be done with this already!

Healing thoughts your way and hang in there as it WILL be worth it in the end,

--------------------
Clarissa

Because I knew you:
I have been changed for good.

-

Posts: 1625 | From Florida | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
swedish lyme sufferer
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14579

Icon 1 posted      Profile for swedish lyme sufferer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thannks for your replies!

Yes I will stick with the protocol and maybe add som flagyl or bicillin to be sure not to letting to much lyme surface.

This is a nightmare, but one day I will wake up better, just have to think about that!

Berst to you all!

Posts: 347 | From sweden | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hcconn22
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5263

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hcconn22   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Been on Riphanin and Mino for appx 6 weeks, small cognitive improvements. Receipt swollen glands in neck, never had this before- figured abx was either working or making my glads work extra hard to process.

Am to stay on this for another 6 weeks for late state bartonolla. Then wait two weeks and get re-tested.

--------------------
Positive 10 bands WB IGG & IGM
+ Babesia + Bartonolla and NOW RMSF 3/5/09 all at Quest

And still positive ELISA and WB two years after IV treatment
http://www.lymefriends.org/profile/blake

Posts: 607 | From Tick Town, Connecticut | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clarissa
Member # 4715

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Clarissa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tosho,

Have you been tested for Babesia? Your symptoms sound very Babs-like to me...but not sure who really knows where the line is drawn.

However, it could be a reason why the Bart protocol is helping all of your persistent symptoms.

Just a thought.

Best,

--------------------
Clarissa

Because I knew you:
I have been changed for good.

-

Posts: 1625 | From Florida | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alv
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I took Rifampin since July to December ,than was on homepathic formula.Than 1 months off only on ketek and herbs for bart.Did I mentioned 2 months prior to antibiotics IV blood iradiation for bartonella only .BUt $$$.

after that started LEVAQUIN in february and stopped do to tendonitis on MARCH.Have been back for 2 months on rifampnin again.

Saw my dr( that does try the drugs and herbs based on muscle testing ) not the llmd YESTERDAY .I felt that my bart was back.Actually the muscle testing shows that rifampin is not working anymore( mind you -I was 2 weeks even on 1200mg at once ).

Also was taking CUMANDA for the last 3 months .But did not looked as promising as the begining.Now my body does not want it anymore.

My body wanted 1000mg levaquin.That women is gifted on mucsle testing as she saved my life back in march 2007 when I was dying.

So my body wants LEVAQUIN ( but it causes me tendonitis) .I have to see what my llmd would say tomorrow.

She uses muscle testing also.So I was total 7 months on rifampin -and 6 weeks on levaquin .Now I still have BLO and bartonella .But I know I got bart in EUROPE and BLO in North AMERICA.

So depends on the strain and the load.

BART is my major problem.I feel as AZITHR helps.And so my dr said from Muslce testing .

So let see what is going to happen.I have been chasing bart since July 2007 .

WENT back on RIFING.I herxed and felt better after rifed.I hope that I am not going to be dealing with it for the rest of my life and the only option left is RIFE.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement