LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Diet: What do you eat on a typical day?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Diet: What do you eat on a typical day?
knshore
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13451

Icon 1 posted      Profile for knshore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm SO out of ideas for food! I find it really difficult to muster up energy to cook myself a meal.

I'm gluten and soy free at the moment.

So, I'm just wondering what people eat on a typical day. Could you post your breakfast, lunch and dinner from yesterday so I can get ideas. Thank you!!!

Posts: 215 | From Student | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Curiouser
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14128

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Curiouser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have to rotate my foods, so no two days are alike.

Breakfast:
Smoothies - my fave is mango, pineapple, 1/2 avocado (you don't taste it and makes the smoothie creamy), ground flax seeds and/or soaked chia seeds, a little water to thin it out.

Eggs - sautee chopped onion until clear and add a handful or more of spinach. When the spinach is wilted, add in eggs and scramble. Salt/pepper to taste.

Fish soup - yeah it sounds weird for breakfast but it's really good. Makes a decent lunch or dinner too. 2 cups water, 1 frozen tilapia fillet, garlic, fresh grated ginger, any veggies you happen to have around the house, green leafies, green onions to garnish.

I usually add a little miso, but it's just as good without. Takes about 10 minutes from start to finish.

Lunch is usually leftovers from dinner the night before. Either that or a salad with grilled chicken breast and a homemade dressing made with organic cider vinegar (bragg's).

Dinner
This is usually the easiest to prepare.

Once a week, I'll broil a bunch of chicken breasts and keep them in the fridge for later use in salads or whatever.

A rice cooker will make enough brown rice for a week.

Just reheat, add various seasonings and veggies as the mood hits.

I'm also a huge fan of foil dinners. Add fish or chicken, some veggies, a little seasoning, and bake.

Other
I've found spending about an hour doing advance prep every few days really helps with later meal prep.

I cut up fresh raw veggies and keep them in the fridge for snacking. These are also nice to have around for stir fries, etc. Hummus goes along nicely as a dip for the raw veggies.

Hope this helps. [Smile]

--------------------
If you don't know where you are going, any road will take you there. - Lewis Carroll

Posts: 356 | From Body-PA, Mind-elsewhere | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yesterday (can I remember that far back????)

Breakfast-- sprouted grain bagel with coconut oil and almond butter, smoothie (whey protein, frozen fruit).

Lunch-- leftover chicken breast and potato chips (stomach was upset and chips help, LOL)

Dinner-- can of Wolfgang Puck's organic tortilla soup and a piece of a fancy loaf of bread from Whole Foods with coconut oil.

Snack-- smoothie

I didn't eat much yesterday .... and I'm herxing so I didn't cook a "real" dinner.

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Peedie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15355

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Peedie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My daughter is on a gluten free diet. Amy's products seem to be the best for those a quick meal out of the freezer. If you have a Whole Foods Market - they have the best tasting bread as Sixgoofykids mentioned. Also find Whole Foods a lot easier to shop with their "gluten Free" sinage on the shelves. You can also get a print out from their web-site or at their customer service desk. I find it is very expensive shopping there - actually most of the expense is in "experimenting" with various products until you get together tasty ones! The toughest thing - she attends school during the day, no fridge or microwave - anyone out there have ideas? Also any snack bars - gluten free that don't taste like a brick? I like "Kind" Nut Delight and Coconut Almond are terrific, but my daughter complains they are too hard to bite into.
Is yogurt okay for Lymes?

Posts: 641 | From So. CA | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chamade
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11472

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chamade     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
breakfast - croissant sandwich

lunch - pizza with double cheese

dinner - lasagna, pizza, pasta or chinese

snacks - candy and chips

--------------------
Why me? Well, why not me???

Posts: 411 | From San Francisco, CA | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Chamade... If you're on abx, I hope you're kidding!!!
++++++++++++

My diet is really restricted right now due to bile duct issues and trying to kill every last tidbit of yeast.

Breakfast today was chicken breast and zucchini.

Lunch yesterday was roast and mixed vegetables

Dinner last night was chicken breast and mixed vegetables.

Snacks .. an apple or baked chips [which I'm not supposed to be eating.. the chips]

To keep myself from going completely nuts, I drink fresh brewed raspberry tea sweetened with stevia.

Oh.. evening snack was a few potatoes

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Peedie... I can't get away with eating yogurt... always contains too much sugar for me.

The ones with low sugar contain artificial sweeteners, which aren't good either.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kam
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 3410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Poached eggs when I am doing well enough to poach them.

Just purchased EZekeil cereal. I know i have tried thsi in the past and stopped. Don't know why but am guessing I wills soon find out.

Kefir on cereal...something new I am trying and haven't tried yet. Heard a guy on TV talking about it yesterday..the ezekeil cereal and kefir.

purchased acorn squash, butternut squash and yams.

These are usually easy for me to cut open and bake although I do have times when I am not up to that either.

In the past, I have purchased chicken salad from teh deli. Missed it today.

I will put a handful of organic mixed greens on a paper plate and then scoop up some chicken salad on top.

Wish I had purchased some at the grocery store today.

Baked fish. Fish is frozen and I put it on cookie sheet in oven and bake it. Easy and good.

I need to keep things simple and have just a few prep steps.

AS arms are weak as well as brain hand co ordination.

mountain high yogurt. I like alta dena yogurt but they do not sell it locally.

I mix fresh berries in it.

use paper bowls to cut back on dishes as washing dishes is usually out.

i purchased some hickory smoked turkey today from the deli and they sliced it for me.

Had a sample. Sample was very good. I think it will work out well when I need what I call finger food as brain and body are not working well enough to fix something

I have fresh brocoli. I can put it in the steamer while the fish is baking.

I purchased canned cranberries to go along with the turkey but I am guessing there is a lot of sugar in the cranberries so not sure that is going to work for me.

I got some almond butter but not sure what I am going to do with it yet.

I was going to put it on an apple, but forgot to get the green apples.

I also purchased a vegie tray so will snack on vegies.

purchased the cream cheese vegie dip stuff..not sure that is a good idea or not.

I know it tastes good. Just not sure if it is something that makes me feel worse or not yet.

Can't recall.

Looking forward to idea from others. This eating thing is tricky as it seems some of the stuff can make me feel worse.

Buffalo burger with chili..it is raining out now so that is on the agenda for today...no buns.

Posts: 15927 | From Became too sick to work or do household chores in 2001. | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
groovy2
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 6304

Icon 1 posted      Profile for groovy2   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Broccoli -cauliflower -carrots- chicken
Villina yogurt -cheese -
Peanut butter and crackers -

Jolley Rancher hard candy - gum - Bananas

NO- bread pasta potatoes cake ice cream -

I eat this almost every day-- Jay --

Posts: 2999 | From Austin tx USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymie_in_md
Member # 14197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymie_in_md     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Breakfast: in a glass 2oz of 100% cherry juice 6oz 100% pineapple juice mixed together with a scoop of whey, heaping teaspoon chlorella, and half a teaspoon spirulina. 1 banana some fresh pinapple. Cereal with almond milk 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon (my wife hates the spice smell) with handfull of dried cherries.

Lunch: 1 apple (always) 1 avocado (always) then In mini-prep food processor in either handfulls or tablespoons full, broccoli sprouts, sauerkraut, jarred red cabbage, ground flax seed, lettuce, dandelion greens, fresh lemon juice, olive oil, pea shoots, and bean sprouts ground to smitherines. I used it as a dip for garlic plantain chips. Yummy!!!

Dinner: BLT last night.

I do at lot with quinoa but not yesterday.

--------------------
Bob

Posts: 2150 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Larkspur
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5131

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Larkspur     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am a big fan of 1 pot meals. I have to avoid sugar and yeast, I am not gluten sensitive though...Also, I can't eat any fruit except apples (I guess the fructose?) makes me incredibly sick!!! I also avoid most dairy but do have goat milk products on occasion. Sugar free almond milk is great!!

I get this frozen precooked antibiotic free chicken breast from whole foods - expensive but worth it to me:
http://www.bellandevans.com/index.cfm?act=convenience_food&prd_id=51

I steam it with organic veggies, put over brown rice or spelt pasta with a little low/no sugar sauce/dressing (like miso or dijon) or alternatively mix it in a bowl with brown rice and a little guacamole- yum.

French meadow makes a whole variety of yeast free organic breads and bagels (again, spelt works for me) http://www.frenchmeadow.com/ - great with a little almond butter or turkey breast (applegate farms http://applegatefarms.com/ )

I eat a ton of hummus. Also - Nutthins - gluten/wheat free crackers - a little salty, but definitely my crackers of choice....

Quick meal - canned Eden organic rice and beans (low sodium too)
http://www.edenfoods.com/articles/view.php?articles_id=49 FYI - Eden brand is actualy safe to eat canned products, thier cans are not toxic like most - I dump the brown rice/ chick peas in a pot with a jar of indian curry sauce (like Jalfrezi) add frozen organic veggies cover, and in 10 minutes yummy indian dish

I'm usually too tired to cook too - it's tough...

[ 23. May 2008, 03:57 PM: Message edited by: Larkspur ]

--------------------
"We must be willing to get rid of
the life we've planned, so as to have the life that is waiting for us" - e.m. forster

Posts: 921 | From PA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
knshore
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13451

Icon 1 posted      Profile for knshore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you guys SO much for all your ideas!!! It is so much easier when you hear things from other people. I get stuck in the same foods, day in and day out.

It gets pretty basic...chicken, veggies and a starch. BORING! LOL! Keep 'em coming! [Smile]

Posts: 215 | From Student | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mrpotto
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15123

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mrpotto     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well as I posted else where this has been a struggle for me. I'll post what I had yesterday.

Breakfast dark chocolate and almond energy bar low sugar (7 gs) power bar and banana.

Lunch - was a cleanup day and my employer sprung for a free lunch for the whole co. I had a cheeseburger with pretzels and pickle. Had half a brownie to boot (told myself no just couldn't pass it up - actually threw half it out as I walked back to my desk so I wouldn't be tempted to eat the whole thing).

Dinner -- leftover boneless and skinless buffalo wings - I mixed in two heaping spoonfuls of minced garlic with red hot sauce and dipped them in low fat ranch dressing. Was still hungry was I had two packets of low sugar maple brown sugar instant oatmeal (only 4gs of sugar).

Today not off to a good start:

Had another same energy bar and banana but binged on 2 Manhattan bagels with real butter for bagel day at work.

Lunch I only had a big bowl of Italian Wedding Soup.

The diet is a big hole in my lyme bart game plan.....

--------------------
dx in Dec 2003
tested 2x positive for bart
Lightly Chelating
3 weeks off abx and 1 week on:

10 day course a month: Plaq/Ceftin/Rifampin/Biaxin with Tindamax on last two days

Posts: 187 | From PA | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tailz
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Canned peas, grapeseed oil, and sea salt. Yum.

Today I had some sesame tahini, but I'm paying now.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cantgiveupyet
Member # 8165

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cantgiveupyet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
breakfast, veggie stir fry, usually peas, zucchini, snow peas, or butternutsquash. Grounded turkey or chicken breast

Veggie stir fry and chicken or turkey with brown rice.

depends on the nite but usually the same as above with some brown rice pasta.

I try to rotate the veggies, but its tough.

Im looking to try and add french toast into my diet again. I just feel better when i eat more carbs, not a lot but more.

--------------------
"Say it straight simple and with a smile."

"Thus the task is, not so much to see what no one has seen yet,
But to think what nobody has thought yet, About what everybody sees."

-Schopenhauer

pos babs, bart, igenex WB igm/igg

Posts: 3156 | From Lyme limbo | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wantabe
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14703

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wantabe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Almost always the same- gluten, dairy, sugar free, caffine free:

Breakfast- granola w/dried raspberries & rice milk
fibermax drink
Snack- peanuts and water
Lunch- salad greens,raspberry dressing,veggies
apple slices,water
Snack- Molly's Gone Crackers crackers, water
Supper- beef or chicken, cooked veggie, water
Snack- chips & salsa or potato chips,
fibermax drink

I'm lucky- salad bar @ school and my hubby does supper-He BBQ's a lot in good weather. Sometimes I just have cereal when the fam is having pizza and such.

I'm always hungry!

wantabe...eating more

--------------------
Lyme+ dx Dec.07
Currently: Levaquin,Cefdinir,Plaquinil,Fluconazole
Nystatin,B12 meth, nortriptyline
Ambien,Clonazepam,many supplements
Dairy, sugar, gluten free diet
infrared sauna and exercise

Posts: 235 | From Iowa | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Wantabe.. What kind of granola is gluten free? Is it low in sugar?

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

GiGi
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 259

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GiGi         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Curioser, what is a foil dinner? Just curious. Hope you are not cooking your food in foil......

Take good care.

Posts: 9834 | From Washington State | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wantabe
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14703

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wantabe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lyme2-
I'm not sure the brand, I'll check next time I'm @ the Coop. I buy it in bulk, so no packaging.

It is plain oats w/ a touch o'honey and the dried cranberries.

I am not celiac dx so I'm not picky about my oat processing. So far, I've been able to get by with the honey...

--------------------
Lyme+ dx Dec.07
Currently: Levaquin,Cefdinir,Plaquinil,Fluconazole
Nystatin,B12 meth, nortriptyline
Ambien,Clonazepam,many supplements
Dairy, sugar, gluten free diet
infrared sauna and exercise

Posts: 235 | From Iowa | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AZURE WISH
Member # 804

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AZURE WISH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yesturday's menu - cant remember today's [dizzy] ) what i eat varies with what we have and how much i can stand , cut etc. yesturday i could make two things

Lunch - spring mix salad, some cold peas, some cucumber and tomato w couple slices of turkey lunchmeat.

Dinner - chili (i made it so it is ok for yeast)

Snack - some more chili

--------------------
multiple chemical sensitvity group:
http://www.lymefriends.com/group/multiplechemicalsensitivities

Group for artists. All media welcome:
http://www.lymefriends.com/group/creativecorner

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Lyme_Artist

Posts: 3860 | From nj,usa | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Curiouser
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14128

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Curiouser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gigi,
It's where you make a packet out of either foil or parchment. Add meat, veg, seasonings, a little water, seal the packet and then bake.

I'm aware of the issues with aluminum. My testing for aluminum levels is fine. It's the mercury, lead, cadmium, and thallium I have to worry about.

--------------------
If you don't know where you are going, any road will take you there. - Lewis Carroll

Posts: 356 | From Body-PA, Mind-elsewhere | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
motownlyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11485

Icon 1 posted      Profile for motownlyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Breakfast:

1 cup Steel cut cooked oatmeal + 2 tbls sunflower seeds + 1/3 cup wild blueberries

Omlette with onions and peppers + piece of spelt bread

Lunch:

Chicken, veggies, and brown rice cake

Spelt bread with almond butter(my version of Peanut butter sandwich). Raw veggies.

Salad - Greens, veggies, chicken + 2 tsp flax seed oil and a small handful of mixed nuts (no peanuts)

Dinner:

Chicken/fish, veggies, brown rice cake

Tuna patties (1 egg, 1 pouch/can of tuna
drained,celery, seasoning, salt + pepper, 2 crushed rice cakes mixed up and cooked) + veggies

Snacks:

Rice cakes with almond butter
Rice crackers (Diamond brand is really good)+ hummus sometimes.

I really miss fruit...and chocolate...Husband had pizza tonight. Kissed him just to get a a second hand taste of pepperoni. Didn't tell husband this...

Posts: 237 | From WV | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Piegirl
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14786

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Piegirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
motownlyme,
I loved your comment about pizza. I miss pizza the most. I'm gluten and dairy free. I just found a pizza place here in Arizona that has gluten free pizza. It's very good too.

It has become a real treat because we have to travel to Phoenix to get it. They are planning on building one here in Tucson though. Can't wait. Pizza here I come!

Mary

Posts: 161 | From AZ | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
njlymemom
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15088

Icon 1 posted      Profile for njlymemom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
with 3 teens who love to cook and eat we try to keep healthy food on hand that is easy to prepare

I keep cooked chicken, fresh veg, and rice on

hand - my youngest loves to make an impromptu

stir fry using these items - if time allows in

the morning - but most of the time after school

when she gets home

I also make a ground turkey "taco meat" and they make their own "hot pockets" from this and other left overs

having a mom who doesnt' always function in an upright position has led them to become accomplished in the kitchen.....we call it "life skills"

could we start a post for recipes - or maybe kid/teen friendly recipes?

would love some new ideas

--------------------
This is NOT medical advice - and should NOT be used to replace your MD's advice. Info is only the opinion of those who publish the site.

The shortest way to do many things is to do only one thing at a time.

cb

Posts: 669 | From somewherebetweentherocks | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement