LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » How much fat with Mepron?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: How much fat with Mepron?
daise
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi everyone,

This seems to be evolving information.

How much fat should be taken with each teaspoon of Mepron, please? [bonk]

Thank you!

daise [Smile]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Melanie Reber
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 3707

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Melanie Reber   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Daise,

If I am remembering correctly...I think it is 23 grams of fat.

M

Posts: 7052 | From Colorado | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5829

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One bowl of ice cream or 2 strips of bacon.

[Big Grin]

Melanie is right.. I think.

Or 17 grams? I forget.

There was a study that said the recommended amount.. but 23 sounds good to me.

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cactus
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 7347

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cactus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did 20 grams. If you look on the patient insert, it mentions a study with the specific amount needed for better absorption. In tiny print.

Better to err on the side of caution since it's liquid gold.

--------------------
�Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again?� - A.A. Milne

Posts: 1987 | From No. VA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daise
Unregistered

Hi everyone,

Thank you. I'll check out the small print.
[dizzy]
daise [Smile]

cactus
Member # 7347

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cactus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Found it online - Melanie wins a prize! 23 grams.

--------------------
�Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again?� - A.A. Milne

Posts: 1987 | From No. VA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daise
Unregistered

Thank you, cactus.

daise [Smile]

Hoosiers51
Member # 15759

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hoosiers51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
23 grams?!?!?! WOW! My ice cream I eat only has like 10g per 1/2 cup. I guess I need to eat some peanut butter or something.

Is it necessary to spread Mepron dosages out about 12 hours apart??? Because I get up at like noon, and hate eating right when I get up, so that would put my next dose at like 12:30 or 1 AM. I know, i should get up earlier, but I try!!!! This is one of my big symptoms.

Posts: 4590 | From Midwest | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hoosiers51
Member # 15759

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hoosiers51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think my treatment failed the first time because my appetite went away with Mepron, and I could only force down a couple bites, so then it probably was not being absorbed! I used to cry because I was so hungry, but couldn't eat because it sickened me!

Anyways, sorry for the sob story. But then the weird part is, this time (first time was 2 years ago), I crave food ALL the time, fatty foods. Anyone have that? Started right when I started the Mepron.

Posts: 4590 | From Midwest | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maureen2174
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11471

Icon 1 posted      Profile for maureen2174     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i don't always get the 23 grams and i didn't even realize that until i read it on here.

my llmd told me to take it with something fatty, like a yogurt- so for the first few months that is what i did.

as far as ice cream- when i take it with ice cream, i put some nuts on top of the ice cream to add fat.

Posts: 871 | From NJ | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maureen2174
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11471

Icon 1 posted      Profile for maureen2174     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
oh, i can't space mine out 12 hours either, just doesn't work for me. i wonder how important that is.
Posts: 871 | From NJ | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
knshore
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13451

Icon 1 posted      Profile for knshore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They say you're supposed to space all abx 12 hours apart. I can't do that because every time I try, I get sicker from the lack of sleep.

I MUST sleep 12 hours a night (at least) in order to semi function.

As for the mepron, does it matter what your dose is? I'm only at 1/2 tsp of it 2x/day. So do I need the same amt of fat as someone who takes 2 tsp 2x/day?

Currently I take it with about 2 tbsp (17 grams of fat) of almond butter.

Posts: 215 | From Student | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hoosiers51
Member # 15759

Oh, I have one more question too......do you guys know if it's okay to have lots of carbs with the fat? I heard somewhere that carbs are absorbed first, or very readily....something like that....I was wondering if they would block the absorbtion of the fat and thus the Mepron?

I know I am probably over-thinking this, but I'm not sure if I can eat a full dinner of pasta with some fatty sausage, or should I just stick with some peanut butter on celery? Hope that question makes sense!

Cass A
Member # 11134

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cass A     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
According to the package insert, you take Mepron with FOOD, and need 23 grams of fat for one teaspoon Mepron.

Unfortunately, I'm getting flabby having to eat so much fat at breakfast and dinner....

Hopefully I'll get rid of the Babs before I turn into a rolly-polly toy!

Best,

Cass A

Posts: 1245 | From Thousand Oaks, CA | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dbourne
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13833

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dbourne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do you have to take malarone with fat also?
Posts: 183 | From Texas | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hoosiers51
Member # 15759

Because Malarone is part Mepron, I would take some fat with it too if it were me. Malarone is a "cocktail" drug, thus, it contains more than one ingredient in the pill and thus has Mepron in it. Just a smaller dose. I don't know if you would need as much fat though.
BarbieM
Unregistered

Vitamin E capsules and OMEGA fish oil - which you need anyway are the best things you should/can take. There is an enteric coated fish oil from Metagenics and one called FISOL you can get cheapest from vitacost.com

Because you are at risk for clotting anyway with the mepron, my doctor said take one teaspoon of ice cream with each of mepron and milk, plus the vit e and omega's. The more fat the better for absorption.

Am surprised you guys are all so worried about fat - I was more worried about killed babesia! While it does have lovely side effects like diarrhea and as someone said "worth gold".... I took TONS of fatty stuff even if my guts didn't like it.

Hope this helps someone.
Barbie

WildCondor
Unregistered

take vitamin e and fish oil with it, or some avocado, olive oil, butter, ice cream, whatever you can have and take it with mepron each time. [Smile]
daise
Unregistered

Thanks everybody,

I've been taking it with 2 fish oil gelcaps and a beef hot dog, as my LLMD said to take it with fatty meat. I have peanut butter.

Thank you!

daise [Smile]

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement