LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » How to get rid of Horrible taste of Biaxin?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: How to get rid of Horrible taste of Biaxin?
gemofnj
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 15551

Icon 6 posted      Profile for gemofnj     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anyone have any helpful tips regarding the horrible metallic taste biaxing gives?

I get it mostly at night while sleeping and the taste is so horrible it wakes me up. Its disgusting. I brush my tounge and all that oral care but its in my saliva.

Any suggestions? [Frown]

Posts: 1127 | From atlantic city, nj | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dbourne
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13833

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dbourne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh no...I am picking up a prescription for biaxin today. I will let you know if I find something that works. What dose are you taking?
Posts: 183 | From Texas | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gemofnj
Member # 15551

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gemofnj     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dbourne:
Oh no...I am picking up a prescription for biaxin today. I will let you know if I find something that works. What dose are you taking?

I am taking 1,000 mg a day with food for 30 days until I go back to the LLMD. Also, acidophilus, 1 tab a nite, (sp) 50 billion to replace good bacteria, and 3 tabs of oil of oregano to kill yeast. I got those from a health food store. Theralac is also very popular to kill yeast. Being on abx for that long will surely promote the growth of yeast, so you definitely want to avoid that annoyance.

So far that is working for the yeast, but the taste is YUCKY! [shake]

Posts: 1127 | From atlantic city, nj | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
feelfit
Member # 12770

Icon 1 posted      Profile for feelfit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't take Biaxin but I think that I remember a post from Lymebytes that said that she coats her pill in olive oil in order to combat the nasty taste.

Feelfit

Posts: 3975 | From usa | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cantgiveupyet
Member # 8165

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cantgiveupyet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i would suck on mints, but it didnt help all that much. To me it tasted sort of like vanilla. It was very annoying to me though.

I think the olive oil was for flagyl that is yucky going down.

coudl you switch to Zithromax?

--------------------
"Say it straight simple and with a smile."

"Thus the task is, not so much to see what no one has seen yet,
But to think what nobody has thought yet, About what everybody sees."

-Schopenhauer

pos babs, bart, igenex WB igm/igg

Posts: 3156 | From Lyme limbo | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
disturbedme
Member # 12346

Icon 1 posted      Profile for disturbedme   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You get used to it...

After at least a week you'll get used to it... you won't even notice it anymore. [Smile]

--------------------
One can never consent to creep when one feels an impulse to soar.
~ Helen Keller

My Lyme Story

Posts: 2965 | From Land of Confusion (bitten in KS, moved to PA, now living in MD) | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tick Tock
Member # 15948

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tick Tock     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I started Biaxin 2 weeks ago (1000mg)and have been trying to get rid of that metallic taste too. Hard to believe I could get used to this taste. It's worst in the morning upon waking. After brushing my teeth, tongue... eating breakfast it is slightly better but all through the day it continues. I chew mint gum to mask it. And I remind myself I only have another 30 weeks before my LLMD switches me to another med.
Posts: 79 | From Rhode Island | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Just Julie
Member # 1119

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Just Julie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is from A LONG TIME AGO, but it worked then, so maybe now?
Potato chips. Try it!

--------------------
Julie

Posts: 1027 | From Northern CA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tick Tock
Member # 15948

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tick Tock     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll try it. What's a few more pounds if potato chips do the trick. Glad your suggestion is something I like. Imagine if the response had been cod liver oil. Thanks.
Posts: 79 | From Rhode Island | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gemofnj
Member # 15551

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gemofnj     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Could you switch to Zithromax? [/QB]
I sure hope so, because it is so disgusting in the morning. I can't stand it. UGH

I was thinking if I took the pills really early in the day it might help, but I didn't know if you can take it all at once or close together. Does any body know if you can? Maybe I can ask the pharmacist.

I will ask about the Zithromax as soon as my co-infections test results come back on Monday. I wonder what side effects that medicine has?

For all I know, I may have to take more abx. I sure hope not. [Eek!]

hurtingramma
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7770

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hurtingramma     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have Never been able to get rid of the yucky taste! I will try the potato chip thing - any excuse. Do french fries work as well [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

--------------------
"Few of us can do great things, but all of us can do small things with great love". Mother Theresa

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1629665573&ref=name

Posts: 938 | From Northeast Kingdom Vermont | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
groovy2
Member # 6304

Icon 1 posted      Profile for groovy2   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jolley Rancher hard candy but I would not eat
one while sleeping-Jay-

Posts: 2999 | From Austin tx USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
njlymemom
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15088

Icon 1 posted      Profile for njlymemom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been on Biaxin over 2 years.

Can't live without it.

I hated the metallic taste too, and yes it is

worse in the morning.

I don't notice the taste at all anymore.

When it bothered me, there was nothing that

would get rid of the taste. I stuck with it

because it helped with head pain, vertigo and

other neuro symptoms believed to be from Bart.

If it is working for you, try to hang in there.

--------------------
This is NOT medical advice - and should NOT be used to replace your MD's advice. Info is only the opinion of those who publish the site.

The shortest way to do many things is to do only one thing at a time.

cb

Posts: 669 | From somewherebetweentherocks | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tick Tock
Member # 15948

Always looking for the bright side of this Lyme mess and perhaps we have found it: potato chips and jolly rancher candy and maybe french fries? The Biaxin diet.

About Zithromax, already did that one.

cactus
Member # 7347

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cactus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got used to the taste, too.

But I thought I was the only one surviving on potato chips and jolly ranchers for awhile! Potato chips, anything salty.

The Biaxin diet, nice. Not good for yeast, but tastes a lot better than the metallic ickiness [Smile]

--------------------
�Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again?� - A.A. Milne

Posts: 1987 | From No. VA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hshbmom
Member # 9478

Icon 7 posted      Profile for hshbmom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I dip flagyl in ketchup to cover the nasty taste. You can try it with Biaxin.

...now if someone would come up with a way to mask the taste of Mepron....

Posts: 1672 | From AL/WV/OH | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sparkle7
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 10397

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sparkle7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Try some crackers or rice cakes.

I wouldn't eat stuff with sugar due to yeast issues.

Posts: 7772 | From Northeast, again... | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
unsure445
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15962

Icon 1 posted      Profile for unsure445     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cranberry juice does the trick! Just a few sips are needed.

--------------------
unsure445

Posts: 824 | From northeast | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tick Tock
Member # 15948

I tried everyone's suggestions for eliminating the metallic tast of Biaxin and here's what worked:
A salami and horseradish cheddar sandwich with Utz spicy crab flavor potato chips, washed down with a bloody mary with more horseradish. That worked for nearly two days! Thanks!

lpkayak
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i didn't read all posts so this might be a repeat.

years ago when i took biaxin i had the metallic taste. my llmd and others on here said to take a few salt and vinegar chips with it. it helped me. i'm not a chip person but i took 5 chips like a med each time i took a pill and it helped.

this is wierd tho: i am now on biaxin again (10 yrs later) and don't get the metallic taste. someone said it might be i have detoxed a lot of metals from my system and if i don't have a heavy load that is why i don't taste it. i did not aggressively detox metals...but i have used a lot of detox stuff over the years-general detox stuff.

any input to why i don't taste it now?

--------------------
Lyme? Its complicated. Educate yourself.

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MysteryGirl44
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10201

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MysteryGirl44     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Try drinking a lot of water with it.

--------------------
"Life doesn't have to be perfect to be wonderful."

www.myspace.com/lymediseaseawareness

Posts: 514 | From New Jersey | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gemofnj
Member # 15551

Icon 9 posted      Profile for gemofnj     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For me, most of the disgusting taste does not happen at the time when I take it. It also makes me have a dry mouth and I am thirsty too.

The worst taste happens usually hours after it builds up in my system-especially at nite while sleeping. YUK.

I have tried to take both doses as early as I can in the day so that I can eat a little food to eradicate bad taste while awake, and hope it wears off a little more by late pm.

Wondering if this will lessen the longer I take it? [dizzy]

kitkat32
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9682

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kitkat32     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been on the biaxin for a little over a month now. The metallic taste was horrible at first.

I stopped taking my dosage before bed. Instead I take my usual morning dosage with breakfast and then my second dosage with dinner...around 430. My LLMD said it was perfectly fine since it is controlled release.

Since I changed it to earlier in the day the awful taste isn't quite so bad in the morning when I get up.

I know peanut butter is probably a big no no but it helps rid my mouth of the taste. This sounds gross but I don't brush my teeth as soon as I get up. It seemed to make the taste worse.

I get up have my teaspoon of peanut butter and then breakfast. Then I brush. It has helped alot. I don't have any bad taste for the rest of the day.

kit

Posts: 655 | From Pennsylvania | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jamescase20
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would switch to rulide, roxythromycin, I take about 1200mg a day, its better, no taste either, no stom probs either. Diarehha I think from simply die off.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement