LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Woman who died on hospital floor called 'beautiful person'

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Woman who died on hospital floor called 'beautiful person'
Dave6002
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 9064

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave6002     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is the US medical system everybody here knows too well; you have to wait 24 hr for an emergent treatment:

http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/07/03/hospital.woman.death/

Posts: 1078 | From Fairland | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clarissa
Member # 4715

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Clarissa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw the actual video of this poor woman falling in the 23rd hour of the wtg room on the Nancy Grace Show.

Unbelievably sad and horrifying. Tragic.

--------------------
Clarissa

Because I knew you:
I have been changed for good.

-

Posts: 1625 | From Florida | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
disturbedme
Member # 12346

Icon 1 posted      Profile for disturbedme   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am speechless. I just don't understand what the world is coming to. How disgusting. [Mad]

People see her lying there, look at her, and walk away. And what's worse, that one person in the corner just sat there the entire time this happened - when she first fell over and then when she lay there not moving.

I am glad they are terminating the people who worked there who saw it happen but ignored it. I just can't wrap my mind around why person after person came in the room, saw her lying there, and then walked right back out. [shake]

--------------------
One can never consent to creep when one feels an impulse to soar.
~ Helen Keller

My Lyme Story

Posts: 2965 | From Land of Confusion (bitten in KS, moved to PA, now living in MD) | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Peacesoul
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
what a sad story.
This happens every day not just in hospitals, but on the streets.

There was that story a month back about the old man who got hit by a car and no one helped him

The world is filled with unconscience idiots!

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geneal
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 10375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geneal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No one ever thinks that something like this will happen to them or someone they know. [shake]

Like pulling over for an ambulance.....hardly anyone does that anymore either.

There are people who care...like us.

It is a sad commentary on how cynical and desensitized a portion of our population has become.

I for one am proud to not be one of them.

Hugs,

Geneal

Posts: 6250 | From Louisiana | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
troutscout
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 3121

Icon 1 posted      Profile for troutscout     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When you live in a society where we don't set rules for our children as toddlers....deliver to them everything they desire, put everyone on welfare and allow anyone else that just WANTS something to have it...we get what we deserve.

No one respects anyone....not their belongings, not their health, not their religion...our and don't get me started there....everything is wrong right now....thank God my wife and raised our kids without....video games, etc.

Trout [Wink]

PS....we REQUIRE that our kids do community service for others...every month.

--------------------
Now is the time in your life to find the "tiger" within.
Let the claws be bared,
and Lyme BEWARE!!!
www.iowalymedisease.com
[/URL]  -

Posts: 5262 | From North East Iowa | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kelmo
Member # 8797

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kelmo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wholeheartedly agree, Trout. Thank you for raising sensitive, giving, children, who will be an example to all.

I'm a crossing guard, and I see and hear the hurtful things children say to each other.

I was in the hospital for pneumonia, an entire week, a few years ago. My first night, the man in the room next to me needed help. He wasn't getting it in time, so he got up and walked out his door. He died right outside my door. They took him to his bed and tried working on him for a while. But, he didn't make it.

The next morning, someone came up to visit him, and he was still in bed! His body hadn't been removed! The woman screamed and nearly fainted.

I remember that story about the woman dying in the ER. You almost have to have a mother like in Terms of Endearment.

Kelmo

Posts: 2903 | From AZ | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
disturbedme
Member # 12346

Icon 1 posted      Profile for disturbedme   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kelmo - Wow, that's unbelievable about the guy in the room next to you. I can't believe they LEFT him in the bed/room that long.

Last year when I first got ill and went to the ER, I had to wait over four hours just to get in. It was hard having to wait so long. At the time I thought I was dying. I ask myself now what would happen if someone in worse shape than I had come in and had to wait THAT long?!

--------------------
One can never consent to creep when one feels an impulse to soar.
~ Helen Keller

My Lyme Story

Posts: 2965 | From Land of Confusion (bitten in KS, moved to PA, now living in MD) | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymebytes
Member # 11830

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymebytes   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can anyone here imagine seeing this woman on the floor and just taking a seat and doing NOTHING?

No one even tried to ask if she was ok, or ran for help INSISTING she was dying!

Is someone lying on the floor at this hospital so common that even the security guards don't flinch?

Unreal, sick, sad, unbelievable.

--------------------
www.truthaboutlymedisease.com

Posts: 2003 | From endemic area | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jjeennnniiee
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7964

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jjeennnniiee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Mad] [rant]

So INHUMANE it's almost unbelievable!!!!!

I really hope those involved were actually terminated!!!!!

They should be seriously punished for causing her death!!!!!

I'm not an attorney and profess I don't know much about the law, but wouldn't what they allowed to happen to her be along the lines of INVOLUNTARY MANSLAUGHTER?????

It is so sad, but angers me, at the same time, we have a health care system so broken, with no end in sight if and when it will ever be fixed, and it sure seems it's only getting worse by the day!!!!!

May God bless this poor woman and her family!!!!!

Love, Light, & Health,
Jennie

--------------------
My Lyme dx:11/05. My Mom's Lyme dx:5/16. ISO ASAP-Lyme Literate Dr & Neurologist-Prefer IL, IN, KY, MO, OH, TN. Can travel farther. Finances limited. Prefer Drs take Medicare or Payments. Need great list to find best fit. Tyvm.

Posts: 701 | From Owensboro, KY | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 13 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
copying article here....

Woman who died on hospital floor called 'beautiful person'

Daughter, "I don't think I have the heart or mind to watch" the video

Esmin Green was involuntarily admitted June 18 for "agitation and psychosis"

Tape shows Green collapse, convulse and lie still; workers pass by, she dies

Group says staff falsified records to cover up incident; 7 workers fired or suspended

By Mary Snow and Ashley Fantz
CNN

NEW YORK (CNN) --

To people around the world who have seen the video, Esmin Green is a symbol of a health-care system that seems to have failed horribly.

Fellow churchmembers say they served as a family for Esmin Green, shown in 2007, after she left Jamaica.

1 of 2 Green, 49, is shown rolling off a waiting room chair at Kings County Hospital in Brooklyn, New York, on June 19. She lands face-down on the floor, convulsing.

Surveillance video captures her lying on the floor for more than an hour as several hospital workers see her and appear to ignore her. She died there.

But to fellow members of her church, she was known as "Sister Green." Together, they served as a family for her in the decade after she left Jamaica for New York.

Green left six children in Jamaica -- the youngest now 14. She had been sending money home. Watch 'Sister Green' in church �

Her oldest daughter, 31-year-old Tecia Harrison, told CNN that she cannot bear to think of her mother's last moments.

"I haven't seen it, and I don't think I have the heart or mind to watch it because that's my mother there," Harrison said. "That's the woman who gave birth to me 31 years ago. I cannot watch that."

Green was involuntarily admitted to the hospital's psychiatric emergency department June 18 for "agitation and psychosis."

Friend Peter Pilgrim says he saw Green a few days before her death. He says she was struggling with losing her job at a day care center and had been forced to move out of her apartment.

"Esmin Green is a beautiful person," he said. "She has a good heart. She loved people, and she loved children."

Tape shows woman dying on waiting room floor
Green's pastor says she had been hospitalized with emotional problems once before and recently appeared to be in distress again. So the pastor called 911, a decision that haunts her.

Upon her admission, Green waited nearly 24 hours for treatment, said the New York Civil Liberties Union, which released the surveillance video of the incident Tuesday.

Her collapse came at 5:32 a.m. June 19, the NYCLU said, and she stopped moving at 6:07 a.m. During that time, according to the organization, workers at the hospital ignored her.

At 6:35 a.m., the tape shows a hospital employee approaching and nudging Green with her foot, the group said. Help was summoned three minutes later. Watch the surveillance video �

In addition, the organization said, hospital staff falsified Green's records to cover up the time she had lain there without assistance.

"Contrary to what was recorded from four different angles by the hospital's video cameras, the patient's medical records say that at 6 a.m., she got up and went to the bathroom, and at 6:20 a.m. she was 'sitting quietly in waiting room' -- more than 10 minutes since she last moved and 48 minutes after she fell to the floor."

The medical examiner's office says it is still trying to determine what caused Green's death.

Her medical records will be the focus of an investigation.

Hospital documents say she was "awake and sitting quietly" at the very moment she was actually struggling on the floor.

The New York City Health and Hospitals Corporation, which oversees the hospital, released a statement Tuesday saying it was "shocked and distressed by this situation.

It is clear that some of our employees failed to act based on our compassionate standards of care."

James Saunders, a spokesman for the corporation, said seven employees have been fired or suspended: ************************************

the chief of psychiatry, chief of security, a doctor, two nurses and two security guards.

A Health and Hospitals Corporation spokeswoman said it was aware of the discrepancies in Green's record when it began the preliminary investigation June 20.

The corporation pledged to put "additional and significant" reforms in place in the wake of the death.

A federal investigation is also under way, looking into abuse allegations at Kings County that were detailed in a lawsuit in 2007.

In May 2007, the New York Civil Liberties Union and the Mental Hygiene Legal Service sued Kings County in federal court, alleging that conditions at the facility are filthy.

Patients are often forced to sleep in plastic chairs or on floors covered in urine, feces and blood while waiting for beds, the groups allege, and often go without basic hygiene such as showers, clean linens and clean clothes.

The lawsuit claims that patients who complain face physical abuse and are injected with drugs to keep them docile.

The hospital, the suit alleges, lacks "the minimal requirements of basic cleanliness, space, privacy, and personal hygiene that are constitutionally guaranteed even to convicted felons."

Among the reforms agreed to in court Tuesday by the hospital are additional staffing; checking of patients every 15 minutes; and limiting to 25 the number of patients in the psychiatric emergency ward, officials said.

In addition, the hospital said it is expanding crisis-prevention training for staff; expanding space to prevent overcrowding; and reducing patients' wait time for release, treatment or placement in an inpatient bed.

this makes me so sick! i hope they punish all responsible and the higher CEOs for letting this happen! this poor family.

as a daughter, i would not want to watch the final moments of my mom's life end UNATTENDED AND LACK OF CARE! [cussing] [puke] [toilet]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cantgiveupyet
Member # 8165

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cantgiveupyet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i can believe this. When i first got sick i was in so much pain and laid down on the floor of the ER room, crying out, not one person said a word to me, not one.

I kept begging to be seen. Finally I was bumped because the woman at the desk saw me on the floor!!! I really thought my kidneys were failing that night.

My first ER visit in the mountains, there was a guy with a bright read face, couldnt even sit up. I actually helped try to get him a bed. Thats just the person that I am. Probably had a TBI.

Geneal- no one here stops for ambulances either. My mom remarked to me a few weeks ago, why isnt anyone pulling over. I had to inform her its the new thing to do now, they dont do that anymore :-(

--------------------
"Say it straight simple and with a smile."

"Thus the task is, not so much to see what no one has seen yet,
But to think what nobody has thought yet, About what everybody sees."

-Schopenhauer

pos babs, bart, igenex WB igm/igg

Posts: 3156 | From Lyme limbo | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement