LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Is coffee that bad for us?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Is coffee that bad for us?
Bobidor
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14453

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bobidor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I started drinking one cup of coffee every day, because it gives me a boost of energy and I can accomplish more in the house that way.

I know we're not supposed to drink it because it affects the quality of our sleep. But does it weaken our immune system the way sugar and alcohol do? Are its acidifying properties really bad for us?

Thank you!

Julie

Posts: 209 | From Montreal, QC, CAN | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sparkle7
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 10397

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sparkle7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think it's that bad to have 1 cup of coffee w/ cream & sugar a day. There's a long thread about this subject if you do a search.

Lyme isn't really a food related illness. Diet plays a part but it's not a huge issue - just my belief...

I guess it can be bad to have sugar if you are taking abx & have yeast problems, though. If you are having yeast issues due to abx use, you really have to cut out all sugar.

Posts: 7772 | From Northeast, again... | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Angelica
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some here would say no but I stopped drinking coffee 99% of the time when I was diagnosed. It is very drying and hard on the adrenals and acidic.

Perhaps you could switch to green tea which is not as acidic. Not that green tea because it contains caffeine is great to drink either but it would be not as harsh on your body.

If you have not gone through menopause yet you will have an easier time of it if you support rather than deplete your adrenals before hand.

If you are brave enough to use a sweetener try honey instead of sugar but you would be better off not using anything to sweeten your coffee. I think diet does play a big role in recovery.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tons of info right here!!!!

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=066102;p=

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hoosiers51
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 15759

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hoosiers51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I notice I am generally better when I don't drink coffee, but I honestly believe it is different for everyone.

If you feel you are drinking it just to "get by," and that you are wearing yourself down, you may want to wean off it or switch to tea. If you feel it doesn't have a negative effect on your overall wellbeing, maybe it's okay then? (one cup per day
I think we should consider coffee a "drug" though and not a "food."

I believe alcohol is worse, for me. Listening to your body will tell you. After careful listening, I have figured out alcohol is horrible for me, coffee is bad but still okay once in awhile, and sugar so far.....hate to say it, but I am the same when on or off it.

Just pay attention to how you feel and try to notice trends.

After you consume something, and it makes its way through your system, does your body feel worn out? Are any symptoms worse? For me, I try to only use coffee when I am desperate. Alcohol, nothing is worth the setbacks I have noticed afterwards.

Best of luck with your treatment!

Posts: 4590 | From Midwest | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sparkle7
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 10397

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sparkle7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
PS - I generally have had a very good diet most of my life. So, this is why I say it's not a big issue.

If you eat lots of junk - it may be something to look into.

Having a good diet is not going to prevent or cure Lyme - just my experience.

It's best to eat well if you are ill. Green tea has many very beneficial qualities so it's very good to drink.

I find coffee to be of benefit but I don't overdo it.

Posts: 7772 | From Northeast, again... | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sparkle7:
Having a good diet is not going to prevent or cure Lyme -

But it CAN prevent or treat YEAST. Those on abx should be very careful not to consume too much sugar or simple carbs.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Angelica
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had yeast issues way before I went on antibiotics. I think many people have yeast issues who do not think they do. Yeast seems to go hand and hand with LD.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
4Seasons
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14601

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 4Seasons     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I allow myself one cup of coffee in the morning, half coffee, half milk and sweeten it with stevia. The stevia takes a little getting used to, but now I like it better than sugar.

Gotta have something to look forward to!

Marla

--------------------
"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain."
Anonymous

Posts: 450 | From California | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
herxuk
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15873

Icon 1 posted      Profile for herxuk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This Beast has robbed me of most things I enjoyed in my life. So I allow myself a bit of pleasure .

So I drink it, 3 cups of milky coffee a day, with splenda.

I'm not saying it's a good all round healthy drink though, but life's too short to be that hard on yourself. CHEERS !!!!

Posts: 153 | From England | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vermont_Lymie
Member # 9780

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vermont_Lymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I drink at least two cups of coffee a day, and I do not think it is hurting my recovery and treatment -- at least that I know of!

I have been getting better while in treatment that is, and coffee does not seem to hinder my progress on abx. On the other hand, I probably could not function well without the coffee.

I bought the low-acid coffee that folks mentioned on the last coffee thread, and it is great.

Also have a cup of black tea every day. Just love caffeine. [Smile]

Posts: 2557 | From home | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
richedie
Member # 14689

Icon 1 posted      Profile for richedie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll do one cup of decaf in the morning and sometimes a cup of regular. I roast my own coffee and prefer organic. Roasting darker will have less acid and less caffeine.

--------------------
Mepron/Zith/Ceftin
Doxy/Biaxin/Flagyl pulse.
Artemisinin with Doxy/Biaxin.
Period of Levaquin and Ceftin.
Then Levaquin, Bactrim and Biaxin.
Bactrim/Augmentin/Rifampin.
Mepron/Biaxin/Artemisinin/Cat's Claw
Rifampin/Bactrim/Alinia
Plaquenil/Biaxin

Posts: 1949 | From Pennsylvania | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shoney
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9925

Icon 1 posted      Profile for shoney     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The acid was killing me, so I make my own low acid (decaf) coffee with my coffee toddy. I have 1 cup a day. You use your own coffee, it makes a concentrate which you then add water.

http://www.toddycafe.com/index.php?aid=124525

Posts: 561 | From eastcoast | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mojo
Member # 9309

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mojo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am drinking my low acid "Coffee Toddy" coffee right now. It's delicious and so easy on the tummy. It has such a smooth taste and lovely flavour.

I use organic beans and monstly decaf.

Posts: 1761 | From USA | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
viva
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for viva     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mojo, Shoney, and any other Toddy-brewers,

What is the secret to making good coffee with a Toddy brewer? I have one, but my attempts have not produced a good concentrate.

Thanks for any tips!

Viva

Posts: 532 | From southeast US | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
richedie
Member # 14689

Icon 1 posted      Profile for richedie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll have to pull out our coffee Toddy. The secret I have found is fresh roasted, within the last week or so. Coffee goes stale fast regardless of packaging. I have been roasting for years.

--------------------
Mepron/Zith/Ceftin
Doxy/Biaxin/Flagyl pulse.
Artemisinin with Doxy/Biaxin.
Period of Levaquin and Ceftin.
Then Levaquin, Bactrim and Biaxin.
Bactrim/Augmentin/Rifampin.
Mepron/Biaxin/Artemisinin/Cat's Claw
Rifampin/Bactrim/Alinia
Plaquenil/Biaxin

Posts: 1949 | From Pennsylvania | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-

If it weakens the adrenals, it can be very bad. While adrenal support may be helpful, it may not be enough.

However, also to consider:

Chlorogenic Acid for Healthy Liver and Gallbladder Function

In response to the growing evidence of the value of chlorogenic acid, green coffee bean extracts, standardized to 50% chlorogenic acid, have been produced ...

www.itmonline.org/arts/chlorogenic.htm

-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement