LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » What the heck do we eat?!?!?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What the heck do we eat?!?!?
rachellemarie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16419

Icon 5 posted      Profile for rachellemarie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, so if we're all supposed to eat as healthy as possible to ensure we're in the best health possible to fight this, and we're not supposed to eat any dairy, bread, pasta, sugar, simple carbs....what the heck is left?

I know there is veggies, fruit, nuts etc...but I'm running out of ideas how to fix them . If I eat one more carrot stick or eat one more salad, I'm going to puke!

Perhaps we can all give each other ideas of what we do to eat health to help us all stay on track with this??!! I know it would help me!

Thanks!
Rachellemarie

Posts: 215 | From Phoenix, AZ | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sammy
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 13952

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sammy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Everyone seems to have their own variation of the lyme/candida diet.

My LLMD's guidelines are not as strict as some others that post here frequently.

I was told that it is ok to drink milk and have plain yogurt but no other dairy products.

I was also told that whole grain pasta, crackers, breads, etc were ok to eat as long as they have no added sugar or yeast.

Allowed all fruits and vegs. Only exceptions are grapes, oranges, olives, anything dried, possibly moldy, or with sugar added.

I also eat some form of protein with every meal to keep blood sugar stable. I bake and grill chicken a lot because it is easy for me to do. The international food section of your supermarket is a good place to find sugar/yeast/vinegar free sauces, spices, and salsas to add flavor.

One of my favorite sides to make are sweet potato fries. All you have to do is peel then cut up some sweet potatoes, spray them with a little olive oil, add salt if you want them salty, cinnamon if you want a little sweet then bake until they turn a little brown on top. Yum [Smile]

Also, my version of ice cream. Take half a cup of frozen unsweetened raspberries and add just enough whole milk to cover the berries. Mash the berries in the milk until the mix becomes creamy and smooth. It only makes a few bites but it tastes good and keeps me from reaching for something truly sugary.

Rachellemarie, everybody is different. I just try to do my best to follow the guidelines as well as I can. Hope you find something that works for you.

Posts: 5237 | From here | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-

Get to know the herbs and spices. Ask the person in charge of produce at your best grocery store.

Thyme is great on just about anything. Herbs de Provence, or Rosemary, too.

The fresh green herbs are better than the dried ones (Rosemary, esp.).

Corriander, Cardamon, Turmeric, Cumin, Dill, Curry, Ginger, Mint . . . Chinese Five Spice . . . Nutmeg (on steamed spinach) . . .

Some good books from Amazon might be:

THE CURE IS IN THE KITCHEN;

A SPOONFUL OF GINGER;

THE ENCHANTED BROCCOLI FOREST;

Any MOOSEWOOD cookbook

-

Mideastern Food is great and tastety.

The book, THE MEDITERRANEAN DIET is good.

Hummas is a winner and it'sn not easy, but you can find a gluten-free falafal mix and bake it like a bread.

And, Tabouli is wonderful this time of the year. You can make it with quinoa or millet instead of bulgar (which has gluten).

=====

Gluten-free grains include: quinoa (keen-wa) - this has to be rinsed in a very fine meshed strainer prior to cooking.

Red Quinoa (mine is pre-washed so much easier to measure and more consistent in outcome).

Millet

Buckwheat /groats (really a legume)

Wild Rice (really a grass)

Many types of brown rices and even black rice.

Amaranth

Oats (but some have trouble with that)

(Spelt and Teff contain gluten as do wheat, rye, and barley.)

-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nutmeg
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7250

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nutmeg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi RachelleMarie,

Do you have a problem with inflammation? My new LLND has me on the Lyme inflammation diet from Singleton's book The Lyme Disease Solution. Another friend here with Lyme is on it too. The first phase (only one week) is fairly limited, but the second phase gives more variety.

The book doesn't give a lot of recipes, but looking at the lists of food items for each phase of the diet gives me ideas about what to eat and how to combine the different foods.

It helps if you like to cook/prepare food and have the energy. I watch the Food Network sometimes (or browse their website) and adapt some of the ideas to fit my food lists. Most days I just eat simple things. Something grilled and a combination of steamed and raw veggies, plus fruit for dessert.

Do you have access to produce stands or farmer's markets? My friend and I are both eating tons of produce. She gets hers from an organic farm co-op that she's a member of, and since I'm able to get out on my own, I go to the farmer's markets 2-3 times a week, in addition to shopping at the grocery store.

Hope this helps. Take care.
Nutmeg

Posts: 386 | From WA state | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-

Regarding carbs: Some do well with a small or moderate amount of dark rices, quinoa, millet, buckwheat (not a wheat, really, but a legume), wild rice.

One of the best rices is a Chinese Black Forbidden Rice. Ymmmm. A quarter cup of any of these grains will help fuel you and add dimension to the veggies.

You could snack all day long on zuchinni or cucumbers and a yogurt/dill dip. Add a drop of lemon juice or stevia.

Darker fruits, berries . . . and apples are the lowest sugars. Essential for good health are all the colors. It all helps detox by rich colors and bulk.

about protein, however you get it, protein requirements are upwards of 65 grams a day - more for ill persons. An egg has just 6-7 grams.

I was vegetarian for 18 years . . . and I felt exhausted the whole time. I had no idea how much protein my body needed. It is possible to do it, but it takes care. And if taurine is missing major eye problems can develop. Taurine, an amino acid, is found mainly in meat and fish.

If meat is hard to digest, try cooking it up in soups and stews, adding lots of veggies just before serving. That way the meat is more tender and it's not the dominant feature.

Protein is in veggies but not at the high amounts. You can add protein powders, but I would not rely upon them as they are not WHOLE food with all the nutrients.

FISH is easier to digest - but be sure to get WILD fish and find a list of those that are safer regarding mercury. Tuna is out. Wild Salmon is in. You'd have to find a reliable source for a list of the safest fish.

And, ORGANIC foods are best as conventionally farmed foods often contain farm chemicals that are doubly hard on our livers, brain, heart, etc.. If you can't afford all organic, find out which foods have the least amount of chemicals used.

===================================

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/protein.html

From Harvard School of Public Health
Protein: Moving Closer to Center Stage

Excerpts:

We know that adults need a minimum of 0.8 grams of protein for every kilogram of body weight per day to keep from slowly breaking down their own tissues.

That's just over 7 grams of protein for every 20 pounds of body weight. . . .

for women . . . average amount of protein (around 68 grams a day).

----------------------------

6 ounces lean hamburger - 48 grams
6 ounces roasted chicken - 42 grams
6 ounces fish - 41 grams

1 cup cottage cheese - 28 grams
1/2 cup tofu - 10 grams
1 cup skim milk - 8 grams

1 cup lentil soup - 8 grams
1 large egg -6 grams
1 cup cooked rice - 4 grams

5'' piece of broccoli - 4 grams
1 med. Baked potato - 3 grams

Many people think of nuts as just another junk food snack. In reality, nuts are excellent sources of protein and other healthful nutrients

---------------------------------

NUTS are GREAT !

Brazil nuts have selenium, too.

I did not see nuts on their chart. Nuts are great brain food and good for endurance, too. A handful is about the right size serving.

About protein powders: most I've used have around 15 grams of protein per serving. For one meal's worth this may be fine, but the protein powders lack the whole food nutrients so should not be all of one's protein account.

======================================
======================================

Protein helps our bodies make glutathione and that helps the liver detox . . . protein's amino acids help our brain, our hearts, our muscles, etc., etc., etc.,

Taurine, from muscle meats, is vital, too.

http://tinyurl.com/3fd9mz - - 20 pages

THE REQUIREMENTS OF PROTEIN & AMINO ACID DURING ACUTE & CHRONIC INFECTION .

Anura V. Kurpad - Institute of Population Health & Clinical Research, Bangalore, India

129. Indian J Med Res 124, August 2006, pp 129-148. Review Article.

Excerpt: " . . . In general, the amount of EXTRA protein that would appear to be needed is of the order of 20-25 per cent of the recommended intake, for most infections. . . ."

- Full article at link (or google the title if it does not go through).

-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rachellemarie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16419

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rachellemarie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll check out the cookbooks and didn't think about adding the spices to my cooking! [Smile] And I have a huge rosemary bush right in my yard!

Thanks!
rachellemarie

Posts: 215 | From Phoenix, AZ | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mo
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 2863

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Mo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
for intensive health/detox period we followed william howard hay - health via food.
when my son was younger he read two of hay's books, and followed them on his own. it helped allot.

i got a copy at an out-of-print book store. i believe there may be online copies available at soil and health site (massive collection of health books written mostly pre-1950's; pre industrialization of both food and medicine - dating back through post-civil war.

many great doctors had keys to beating severe illnesses through food and organ health.
these books have mostly been put out of print since food and health became big business, but this library has them for free online.

yep, hay's book is on this page:

http://www.soilandhealth.org/02/0201hyglibcat/0201hyglibcat.html

.. but the whole library is amazing.

after that, i worked more in the area of the paleolithic ("hunter gatherer" diet)

http://paleodiet.com/

.. this is the most comprehensive site on it.
this way of eating is said to be the very best for immune system health.

to each his own, of course, but i do not agree with complete omission of any food group, nor total vegetarianism (unless expressly to treat illness or detox for a limited period of time.)

i also studied and utilized ayurvedic diet, finding out what dosha you are and what works and doesn't work with your body type -
i've found these practices to be very effective.
lots and lots of medicinal great tasting spices
like cardamon, fenugreek, fennel, cinnamon, tumeric .. too many to list. yummy.

ie: i am a true pitta with no other influences -
and everything recommended as agreeing with or aggravating pitta is true for me.

i was trying to fast, and always felt horrible on fasts, come to find pitta should not fast -
whereas it can be great for kapha types.
pitta should not get hot. sauna aggravates me greatly, while another dosha would do well with it. there are also food that either passify or aggrivate each type. (this school of thought supports the fact that folks have such varying experiences with diet)

in the end, my family's diet is based on applied knowledge from all of these areas and when practiced this has had a huge impact on health, as much if not more than the "medicines" we have taken.

"Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food" ~ hippocrates

have faith,
mo

Posts: 8337 | From the other shore | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rachellemarie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16419

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rachellemarie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the links and info, I know this will help me and others. I also just bought an Omega Juicer. I had a juicer but thought I better buy a better one that juices greens. [Smile]

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement