LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » I really could use some Detox advice :)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I really could use some Detox advice :)
proudmom
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15532

Icon 5 posted      Profile for proudmom   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My daughter has been on treatment now for about 3months and she is having what looks to me like a toxic overload.

She's done really well with the anti-yeast protocol but her LLMD never really mentioned detoxing her system.

I've been reading lots of posts and someone mentioned a nebulizer(sp). It just so happens that she has one from when her daughter was sick.

She was dx with Bart. and Lyme. the Dr. is treating her for the bart. right now.

What are you using in the nebulizer and what for?

I looked into lemon water, that is a can do but sorry to say that my daughter has the stuborn gene and absolutley will not take any more pills than what she already has.

Any suggestions as to how I can sneak stuff into her? LOL...hard to be sneaky when she's on here too.

Loves to everyone, proudmom [hi]

P.S. As I find stuff I will add it here for anyone who is following this post. Thank you everyone who has added so far.

[ 10. August 2008, 10:35 AM: Message edited by: proudmom ]

Posts: 317 | From Kansas and New Jersey | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LittleLymie19
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15610

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LittleLymie19     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm having a ton of detox problems myself, so I'll be keeping an eye on this thread, but I thought I'd just offer up any advice that I had as well [Smile]

I take "detox" baths, do you think she'd be up for one of those? I take a really warm bath with 1 cup epsom salts and 1 cup baking soda. It's supposed to draw out the toxins. The salt also helps with inflammation so if she has aches and pains it'll be great. You could even make it fun for her...I'm not sure how old she is...but maybe she'd like some organic bubbles or bath toys? Sorry if she's a teen, but even so...I'm a teen and I still like a good bubble bath!

Good luck!

Posts: 710 | From West Coast | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
proudmom
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15532

Icon 7 posted      Profile for proudmom   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks so much for that advice. [kiss]

By the way, she's 27 and has 2 children but she did say that what you advised sounds wonderful and now I have to find her some toys! [lol] [loco]

proudmom [hi]

Posts: 317 | From Kansas and New Jersey | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hiker53
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 6046

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hiker53     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have heard that zeolite is supposed to help. Comes in a spray and you just spray into the mouth. Google nano zeolite.

--------------------
Hiker53

"God is light. In Him there is no
darkness." 1John 1:5

Posts: 8879 | From Illinois | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clarissa
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 4715

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Clarissa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm a 40-year-old woman and I love my tubbies!

I add the epsom salts and the baking soda, light candles and listen to books on cd.

A GREAT series to get her going on would be the trilogy (now she's written the 4th book) by Stephenie Meyers. The first book is called Twilight. It was a great escape from my pain and misery.

I also do the lemon water (add some sweetener, Stevia or Xylitol) and you have yummy lemonade.

I have the biotoxin gene so I have to take cholestyramine but there are other toxin binders such as wlechol and chlorella (sp?)

I know an enema is NOT pleasant but the homemade coffee enemas are supposed to be VERY helpful (you'll have to do a search). That probably isn't very appealing...even to me. [Eek!]

I think the baths and the "lemonade" are a good way togo. There's a thread on gluthiaone (sp?) and I think that's a detoxifier, too. Check that one out!

Best,

--------------------
Clarissa

Because I knew you:
I have been changed for good.

-

Posts: 1625 | From Florida | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-

I'd caution about too much of any one thing. Lemons can be very hard on delicate stomach tissue. If lemonade with stevia insead of sugar is enjoyed, in moderation, that's great.

While "Detox" is not so much as an event or forced action as an on-going function of the liver, there are particular supplements that can really help protect the liver and help it work better.

If your daugher is taking any liver support (milk thistle, etc.) then your doctor has considered how to help her liver emiminate overloaded toxins.

If your daughter is not taking any liver support, after reading the Singleton book, you'll be prepared to discuss that with your doctor.

Eating lots of vegetables and dark colored berries (as they are low sugar), and getting enough protein for the liver to make glutatione are the best ways to support detox functions of the liver. Being sure bowel movements are daily, or twice daily, helps the liver do its job.

Magnesium is a good supplement to help with detox function and it calms the nervous system. Calcium, too. Even better with B-6 at night.

However, with bart, magnesium use might need to bed altered.

You can read more about the liver and its functions in The One Earth Herbal Sourcebook (Tillotson).

sorry I don't have the link right now, but you can google the title and then search "liver" on their site. This book is not about lyme, but teaches so much about how the body works.

He also has full page explanations about many herbs. In addition to milk thistle, Dandelion is just one for the liver. Burdock is another. But, as they may clear out medicines too fast, be sure to check with your doctor. Also, tx and doses for child would vary from an adult's tx.

Singleton's book does explain more in detail regarding lyme AND liver function/detox: "The Lyme Disease Solution" through www.amazon.com

-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
proudmom
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15532

Icon 1 posted      Profile for proudmom   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yep, I am worried about her liver. Before she was diagnosed she had a scan done and they found small cysts in her Liver.

Of course this was the military docs. and they said "nothing to worry about yet" and never scheduled any kind of follow up.

I was also looking at activated charcoal too. But again that would add another pill to her diet.

Ok so far, Epsom salt baths
Lemon water
Magnesium, calcium and B-6

I know that any good thing can turn bad if over used so that's why I want all I can find and maybe rotate methods.

Clarrisa, her doctor only has her on probiotics and abx. There is one product that the dr. gave her 'zirri' not sure if its a detox or what.

It's been real difficult for her to eat anything, it throws her into terrible stomach cramps and she does have severe reflux.

So I'm not sure she's getting enough of anything right now.

thank you everyone for your help here [kiss]
proudmom [hi]

Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-

BioGenesis has a product called BioCleanse.

You'll have to google it.

It's a blend of rice protein powder, vitamins, minerals and liver support.

When I can't eat this gets me over the hump until I can get some real food. It's about 200 calories a serving, so it's not to be a meal, but it gets nutrition in.

Not cheap, but worth every penny.

good luck.
]

-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clarissa
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 4715

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Clarissa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Proudmom,

Here's the thread on glutathione. I think this can be taken as a shot so it would avoid her sensitive stomach:

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=070171

--------------------
Clarissa

Because I knew you:
I have been changed for good.

-

Posts: 1625 | From Florida | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
proudmom
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15532

Icon 14 posted      Profile for proudmom   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you to all of you for your wonderful advice. my daughter (Proudtoserve) is so grateful for your help and she wanted me to let you know that.

proudmom [hi]

sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I do the coffee enemas like Clarissa mentioned. I was desperate the first time I tried one and it helped so much, I have continued.

I tried to take a couple weeks off when we were on vacation, but felt so bad that I went out and bought all the stuff. [Smile] They are great for the liver as they force it to dump toxins and produce more glutathione.

I also drink whey protein shakes with vanilla whey, frozen fruit, and water (blended) twice a day to be sure I have the raw materials there to produce glutathione.

I take the baths when it gets really bad - 2 cups epsom salt, 1 cup baking soda, and a nice glass of sparkling water/lime in a wine glass. Make it an event. [Smile] Candlelight is good, too.

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sparkle7
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 10397

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sparkle7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Activated charcoal pills helped me. I took 4 caps, 2 times a day but some people say you can take more.

Infrared saunas can help, too.

Posts: 7772 | From Northeast, again... | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
urpaige
Member # 16096

Icon 1 posted      Profile for urpaige     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Our holistic pediatrician has my son taking bathes with 2C baking soda and 2C epson salts daily. Then twice a week I add 1/2 to 1 cup of volcanic clay. I've taken some of those bathes and they are wonderful.

--------------------
Mom of Five - two had lyme and coinfections - one had RMSF - Still hoping for broader awareness of tick junk in general medical practitioners.

Posts: 79 | From Virginia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
proudmom
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15532

Icon 1 posted      Profile for proudmom   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I copied a few things here that I found, I hope that its ok to do that, for further reading go tohttp://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=006991

GiGi
Frequent Contributor
Member # 259

posted 02 March, 2002 02:33 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here is an article from my favorite info website -- re detoxification -- colon and the rest............ (Exerpts)

Herbal Detoxification:

Generic diets for detoxification are good, but may not stimulate the liver, lungs or the kidneys as much as one would like. Therefore, herbal cleanses are indicated when we want to hone our cleanse to a ``sharp edge'' and be organ specific.

Of course, herbs are foods too and provide one with vitamins, minerals and enzymes for excellent nutrition. Herbs are powerful, because they may be combined together to fortify those herbs that aid specific organs. For example, herbal combinations that aid the liver may be found in many organic food stores. The list below shows how herbal combinations help the various organs.

Herbal Combinations:

Liver:

LIV-A Dandelion, red beet, liverwort, parsley, horsetail, birch leaves, chamomile, blessed thistle, black cohosh, angelica, gentian, goldenrod

Kidneys: Uva ursi, parsley, dandelion, juniper berries JP-X Parsley, uva ursi, marshmallow, ginger, goldenseal, dong quai, cedar berries

Lungs: LH Comfrey, marshmallow, mullein, slippery elm, senega, Chinese ephedra

While herbs may be taken at any time, they are best for detoxification purposes when they are used with a good diet also. It does not make any sense to take herbs to cleanse the liver if the bowels are clogged with junk or refined foods, since the liver dumps its toxins into the bowels.

And while detoxification diets are effective by themselves, they may be reinforced and speeded up with herbs, which stimulate the eliminative organs.

Herbs may be used as teas, powders or extracts. Powders are usually encapsulated for easier swallowing, but are best when taken with meals and digestive enzymes.

Extracts may be used when specific herbs are needed, but may be extracted with alcohol, which we need to avoid. Herbal teas are easily made and easily taken all throughout the day. They are mild and gentle and sometimes refreshing and sometimes bitter.

Experimentation may be in order until one develops the right tea to drink. Herbal teas is a topic in itself, since there are so many and different ways to make them.

Example Herbal Cleanse:

Rising: Drink a glass of lemon water or Drink a glass of water with added: one teaspoon of apple cider vinegar and one teaspoon of blackstrap molasses

Morning: drink a glass of water with psyllium husk powder (follow with another glass of water Meals: take 2-3 multi-digestive enzymes

Take liver herbs

In Between Meals: drink herbals teas, which support the liver

Dandelion/licorice/ginger/fennel

Note: Following a good diet is mandatory for herbs to work optimally. See section on diets for detox.

Detoxification Baths:

Use 1/2 cup of baking soda or use 1/2 cup of Epsom salt or use 1/2 cup of sea salt. Soak for 15-20 minutes and then scrub the skin gently with soap on a natural fiber.

Within a few minutes the water will turn murky and ``dirty.'' The darkness to the water is heavy metals coming out of the skin (aluminum and mercury). Do this once a week during detox and once a month for maintenance.

Juice Fasting:

Fasting with vegetable juices can be another excellent way to develop good health and cleanse the body of toxins. Juices, minus their pulp (fiber), contain an excellent source of vitamins, minerals and enzymes.

When the pulp is not added, one is able to drink more juice than they are able to eat. For example, one can easily consume the juice of several heads of lettuce in one sitting, but may not be able to eat the lettuce whole.

This allows the body to get an abundance of nutrients with minimal processing (digestion). Fasting on mono-juices also allows the body proper time to process these juices and helps to preserve our valuable digestive enzymes.

Flora:

Our bowel flora is also important for detoxification and normal health. Probiotics is the term given to the normal bowel flora, which are taken as supplements.

It has been found that these normal flora actually defend our body from the pathogenic species of bacteria and perform many vital functions, such as detoxification of toxic chemicals and making valuable vitamins (mainly the B vitamins).

When our normal flora are present they secrete mediators in which the pathogenic forms cannot grow. But the reverse is also true, that when the pathogenic forms take over, they will exclude the normal flora with their toxins.

Antioxidants:

The use of antioxidants, like vitamins A, E and especially C, are very essential for detoxification since they are involved with the detoxification of toxins. Antioxidants are involved with helping cells to neutralize free radicals that can cause mutations and cellular damage. As these free radicals are neutralized, the antioxidant vitamins will be used and exhibit low levels.

Vitamin A and E are fat soluble and will be found in our fat tissues/stores, but vitamin C is water soluble and will be found mainly in our skin (between the cells according to Reams). Vitamin C is also involved with many other important bodily functions, like collagen formation, wound healing, energy production and fighting off colds (viruses).

Enzymes:

The use of enzymes in detoxification is important, because the body needs an adequate supply of enzymes, not only for digestion, for also for detoxification.[iii] Enzymes are best obtained from fresh raw fruits and vegetables, but may be taken daily with meals as nutritional supplements of multi-digestive enzymes.

Enzymes in our food helps us to digest that food, but many foods today are processed, refined, heated (cooked), radiated and stored, which destroys enzymes and leaves it non-vital.[iv] Foods with enzymes destroyed will have a longer shelf life, but will not give one health when it is eaten.

Bowel Cleansing:

Keeping the bowels clean and moving is a major step in regaining our health since the bowels are crucial in the elimination of toxins, especially those processed by the liver. [The liver dumps in to the bowel via the gall bladder.] This is why one hears a lot about the bowels, and bowel cleansing.

In severe cases, enemas and colonics may be needed to breakup and washout long-standing bowel encrustations. Diet may do the same thing as an enema or colonic, it will just take longer.

Also, one should be very diligent in repopulating after a total washout of the normal flora and probiotics will be necessary to restore that balance.

Herxheimer Reaction:

The Herxheimer Reaction occurs when the body is detoxifying too rapidly and toxins are being released faster than the body can eliminate them.[v] When this occurs, one will suffer from headaches, nausea, vomiting, and malaise.

Even though this is but a short period of the health program, it can be severe and deter one from reaching their intended goals. Also, the person may not know what they are experiencing and think that they are regressing.

To minimize the Herxheimer Reaction:

Drinks lots of pure distilled water

Get minimal exercise daily

Lots of sunshine

Take detoxification slowly ... one step at a time

Don't increase the dose of herbals

Keep the organs of elimination (bowels, lungs, skin, kidneys) open

Take detox baths

Use aromatherapy oils for aches -like peppermint, birch, and wintergreen

Sweat by using exercise, saunas, baths, and herbs

Avoid foreign chemicals and refined processed foods

If the Herxheimer reaction occurs, cut back on your health detoxification program. Reduce the dose of herbs and follow the above outline to reduce the symptoms of toxin elimination. The more toxins there are to eliminate, the sicker one is when they come out. Generally, one will feel better when all is over and health is restored again. Just remember, don't give up.

The above is just a highlight of the info that GiGi posted in 2002. Very good reading and it all started with the discussion of coffee enimas.

proudmom [hi]

proudmom
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15532

here's another post I found from 2004

quote:
frenchbraid
Frequent Contributor
Member # 4225

posted 10 May, 2004 07:42 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Liver cleanses can be pretty harsh. We have found one that works very well and it is very easy to handle.
Put the following in a blender:

~ One cup of fresh squeezed Citrus: use orange, grapefruit, tangerine, lemon, and/or lime. Make the combination as sour as possible. You can dilute this mixture with purified water.

~ One to two cloves of garlic.

~ One small piece of fresh ginger.

~ One tablespoon of organic olive oil.

~ Blend the above ingredients and drink immediately.

Follow with two cups of a cleansing teas, such as Jason Winters or dandelion tea.

It is preferable to do the liver flush drink in the morning on an empty stomach, and then wait an hour before eating.

It is suggested to do the liver flush four times a year (as the seasons change) or whenever you feel you need a boost. Five days in a row each time is recommended.

Also, a good quality Milk Thistle will help to keep your liver and gall bladder healthy.

frenchbraid

proudmom
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15532

Beet juice for liver detox. Read here

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=011097

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement