LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Video Of Trout VS Duck

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Video Of Trout VS Duck
troutscout
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 3121

Icon 1 posted      Profile for troutscout     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yep...they did a GREAT job with this interview...see the video.

http://www.courierwebcasts.com/play.php?vid_id=1151&file=lymedisease.flv

Please make comments....they need to hear from YOU!!!!!

Help me HELP YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Trout [Wink]

Here's the Article:
http://www.wcfcourier.com/articles/2008/08/13/news/metro/10517023.txt

Athlete fights back against disease
By TINA HINZ, Courier Staff Writer
CEDAR FALLS --- Kent Larsen stared at his reflection in the mirror. He saw a skeleton instead of a human being.

Emaciated. Pale. Bags beneath his eyes.

It was April, and he remembered a promise made six years ago when diagnosed with Lyme disease. He vowed to fight.

"I would ... indeed become an athlete ... to compete ... to thrive, once again," Larsen later wrote on a networking site, www.lymenet.org.

The 45-year-old Cedar Falls resident set his sights on track events in late July at the Iowa Games in Ames.

Larsen had neglected his health too long, he says, working like a "mad man" since becoming a branch manager for United First Financial last fall. And like a weed, the disease seized the freedom, overrunning his body.

The potentially debilitating infection is caused by a spiral-shaped bacterium most commonly transferred by a tick bite. It can target joints, the heart and the nervous system.

By spring, Larsen's 6-foot-1 frame carried a mere 147 pounds.

Larsen presented a unique challenge to employees at Snap Fitness in Cedar Falls, where he has been a member since the health club opened in February 2007. He lacks the ability to recover physically like most people, and boosting energy levels is difficult. He has trouble gaining weight. It even hurts to sweat, Larsen says.

"I came in here and I could only bench press 90 pounds. Now I can do 220 pounds."

Judith Weeg, president of the Lyme Disease United Coalition, calls Larsen a success story. She must use a wheelchair because of Lyme disease and applauds Larsen for what he is doing.

"It's very rare for a late-stage Lyme disease patient to get to this level where they can be athletic at all," Weeg says.

Larsen eventually built up his overall strength from two workouts a week to every other day.

"We have to modify some of the movements, just to still get the muscle activations, still get the results that we want without inflaming some injuries or inflaming any of his conditions," says Tyson Burton, a trainer who works with Larsen.

Burton must be especially sensitive to rest time and hydration.

"That keeps it pretty interesting," Burton says. "He has good days, and he has bad days."

More than 20 pounds heavier, Larsen was raring to go by July. But he faced a serious setback.

The day before competition, Larsen was bedridden with pain and diarrhea and, consequently, dehydration. He lost about 6 pounds.

"My theory is that God puts just so much misery in the world for a reason, and there's certain people he chooses to carry the bulk of it," Larsen says. "If he chooses me to carry it, that's what I'll do."

He stuck to the plan. His two daughters were away at dance team camp and his wife worked an overnight shift. So without fanfare, he drove to Ames.

Going alone would be his weakest moment, but also his strongest.

"It was always God and I that walked through the hardest times that I went through," Larsen says. "I had to travel this battle with my own strength, determination and belief in him."

The temperature was 90 degrees and the humidity reached 95 percent, pushing the heat index to 115 degrees on the track. He spent nearly three hours in the medical tent recovering between events and canceled his 400-meter run.

"There was no breeze. I kept passing out. Every time I looked around things were all blurry."

Abandoning his dream wasn't an option.

"Heck, no, man," he says.

Larsen brought home a fourth-place finish in the 100 meters and in the 200 meters. He placed third in the long jump and was part of the winning 4x100-meter relay team, qualifying for nationals in both events.

Mission accomplished.

Larsen physically was unable to compete at nationals this year, but hopes to enter a U.S.A. Masters Track and Field event in 2009.

"The moment of glory was for you, my friends," Larsen later wrote. "I overcame, and so will you."

Contact Tina Hinz

at (319) 291-1484 or

[email protected].

--------------------
Now is the time in your life to find the "tiger" within.
Let the claws be bared,
and Lyme BEWARE!!!
www.iowalymedisease.com
[/URL]  -

Posts: 5262 | From North East Iowa | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
charlie
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 25

Icon 6 posted      Profile for charlie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
....Good job Kent....that duck needs to go back to work answering the support line at microsoft.

Charlie

Posts: 2804 | From Texas | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pretty N - I - C - E !!!!

-

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kent 1, Duck 0

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeinhell
Member # 4622

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeinhell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
EXCELLENT!!!! WAY TO GO TROUT! [woohoo]

--------------------
Julie
_ _ ___ _ _
lymeinhell

Blessed are those who expect nothing, for they shall not be disappointed.

Posts: 2258 | From a better place than I was 11 yrs ago | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sparkle7
Member # 10397

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sparkle7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's great! I don't know about the video... there could be improvements with that.

I'm glad your doing well & you were able to get this article about you're success published.

Posts: 7772 | From Northeast, again... | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
troutscout
Member # 3121

Icon 1 posted      Profile for troutscout     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like the fact that the video shows the controversy...similar to "Under My Skin"

Trout [Wink]

--------------------
Let the claws be bared,
and Lyme BEWARE!!!
www.iowalymedisease.com
[/URL]  -

Posts: 5262 | From North East Iowa | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boomerang
Member # 7979

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Boomerang     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nicely done, trout!
Posts: 1366 | From Southeast | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymednva
Member # 9098

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymednva     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You were great!

She was...not so great! Quack, quack!

--------------------
Lymednva

Posts: 2407 | From over the river and through the woods | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
adamm
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nicely done!

Large enough trout in the wild have actually been know to mess up

ducks pretty badly, BTW!

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 14 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
kent, just emailed them this!! GREAT ARTICLE TOO!!! [group hug] [kiss]

LIVING WITH LYME DISEASE: KENT LARSON'S video story was well done by him.

Unfortunately the infectious dr. you spoke with practices IDSA, Infectious Disease Society of America, guidelines which CREATES "chronic" lyme patients like Kent and the rest of the chronic lyme community.

They don't believe in CHRONIC LYME; and they do not treat for longer than 3 weeks!!!

06, IDSA rewrote their guidelines WITHOUT having any chronic lyme literate mds, LLMDS, as committee members, and they created a total mess for us chronic lyme patients!!!

The things that have been keeping us alive, long-term antibiotics and many other alternative therapies were put on their DO NOT USE LIST!

Therefore CDC goes by their new guidelines, and the health insurance companies jumped on the band wagon DENYING us reimbursement for LLMD appointments, treatments, testings, and meds!!

Majority of us pay for everything dealing with our chronic lyme OUT OF POCKET!

Many of us have lost our jobs due to missing so much work; our health insurance; our spouses; our children being given to spouse; bankruptcy; our homes, and ending up being homeless while our family/friends turn their backs on us too! WHY?

The written article on Kent's struggle and accomplishments were very well done.

US' congress needs to put our 2 lyme disease bills, S 1708 and HR 741, ON THEIR AGENDAS to be discussed before they adjourn Sept. 26, 2008!!

BettyG, Iowa lyme activist.....

107 VIEWS ON VIDEO!!!

treepatrol
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 4117

Icon 14 posted      Profile for treepatrol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good Job Trout!!!!

--------------------
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
Remember Iam not a Doctor Just someone struggling like you with Tick Borne Diseases.

Newbie Links

Posts: 10564 | From PA Where the Creeks are Red | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

quote:
Originally posted by adamm:
Large enough trout in the wild have actually been know to mess up

ducks pretty badly, BTW!

[lol] [lol]

Good letter, betty!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 10 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
kent, you're getting so popular ....222 views now!! [lol] [Big Grin]

3 comments now...

AlisonP
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7771

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AlisonP     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kent ... excellent!!!!

This was very exciting to watch.

Way to go!

Alison

--------------------
 -

The obscure we see eventually. The completely obvious, it seems, takes longer. --- Edward R. Murrow

Posts: 923 | From California | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
troutscout
Member # 3121

Yeah...i think i ate that duck

...big TROUT, lol [Wink]

--------------------
Let the claws be bared,
and Lyme BEWARE!!!
www.iowalymedisease.com
[/URL]  -

kam
Member # 3410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

OK. Perhaps the fanfare of lilghting the torch is overdoing it.

But how about  -

Posts: 15927 | From Became too sick to work or do household chores in 2001. | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kam
Member # 3410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Betty,

Thanks for posting your comment here and breaking it up.

I wanted to read it but couldn't on the web site.

Posts: 15927 | From Became too sick to work or do household chores in 2001. | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kam
Member # 3410

I, too, posted a comment but it is not showing yet.

Waiting for approval I suspect.

troutscout
Member # 3121

Trying to hit 300 views in 3 days.

Come on Guys.....lets show the Newspaper what we got!!!!!

Trout [Wink]

--------------------
Let the claws be bared,
and Lyme BEWARE!!!
www.iowalymedisease.com
[/URL]  -

Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good job! Just responded - waiting for posting. Everyone, go post a comment about trout's go-around with the duck.
Posts: 13116 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
up
Posts: 13116 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
painted turtle
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7801

Icon 14 posted      Profile for painted turtle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great job Kent!

I linked your interview to my humble little blog... [Smile]

--------------------
www.lymefire.blogspot.com

Posts: 855 | From United States of Mind | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

kent, you made it 312 views right now!!
8 comments; think all but one are from here including yourself!!

too bad our paragraphs were done away with leaving that hard to read SOLID BLOCK TEXT! [cussing]

sunshinyday
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14337

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sunshinyday     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Goos job Kent. You are an encouragement to us all!

--------------------
Gail

Posts: 234 | From Sterling, Ma | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bugabooboo
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7383

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bugabooboo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yaaaaay!!!!!

I knew your story belonged to the media!!!!

Awesome!!!

Bug

--------------------
Every experience God gives us, every person He puts in our lives, is the perfect preparation for a future only He can see....Corrie Ten Boom

Posts: 343 | From Northcentral Iowa | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sojourner
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9424

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sojourner     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Trout----You ate her like she was a worm with no HOOK!!!

Good thing she knows all that stuff about "lymes" disease.

EXCELLENT JOB [lick] [lick]

Posts: 554 | From Naples, Italy | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
troutscout
Member # 3121

Ha, ha......

LYMES...you caught that too......

OBVIOUSLY we are talking about two different diseases here...I'd rather have what she talks about....for sure.

Trout [Wink]

--------------------
Let the claws be bared,
and Lyme BEWARE!!!
www.iowalymedisease.com
[/URL]  -

bettyg
Unregistered

total 372 now....slipping a little kent! [Smile]

still 8 comments

troutscout
Member # 3121

Over 400 visits.....lets push it to 500.

I am trying to have a LARGE LYME Event in Cedar Falls, Iowa...unheard of until now.

Need your help!

Watch it, rate it, comment on it.

Thanks,

Trout [Wink]

--------------------
Let the claws be bared,
and Lyme BEWARE!!!
www.iowalymedisease.com
[/URL]  -

bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 5 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
kent,

are you thinking of having UNDER OUR SKIN shown there?? it's so easy ...

read my post in activism about it; i got all details from eve/producer of UOS! [Wink]

troutscout
Member # 3121

Yes Betty....Andy and I have been trying to get that done since last fall.

Thanks to this article many Lymies in the area are being teated with dignity.

One that I have known for quite some time recently went to the ER (post article/video)
and had VERY good care....in fact, they agreed with THAT GUY on the internet for the Newspaper.

Hey......cool.

Trout [Wink]

--------------------
Let the claws be bared,
and Lyme BEWARE!!!
www.iowalymedisease.com
[/URL]  -

kam
Member # 3410

Kent,

I was just scrolling down the active topics for the moment and ran across Trout VS Duck and started laughing.

I got this cartoon like picture in my head of a real Trout and a Real Duck.

441 viewers now

troutscout
Member # 3121

Kam...that's good.

Trout [Wink]

--------------------
Let the claws be bared,
and Lyme BEWARE!!!
www.iowalymedisease.com
[/URL]  -

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement