LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Monolaurin -- coconut oil and mycoplasma

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Monolaurin -- coconut oil and mycoplasma
lymie_in_md
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 14197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymie_in_md     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is pretty new and thanks to Jamescase20 I did a little more research on it. At least I think monolaurin is a new natural pathogen killer.

Lauric acid is currently being pattented for killing mycobacteria -- see link --

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/4223040.html

So for those interested in killing cell wall deficient forms, well lauricidin is the ticket!

From the link http://www.healthy-oil-planet.com/lauric-acid.html is the below quote:

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Now for the Million Dollar Question...Can You Kill Germs in Your Body by Eating Coconut Oil?

Virgin coconut oil can contain up to 40-50% Lauric acid. The only other natural source of Lauric acid is found in mother's milk.

So if you eat coconut oil, will you get the same immune-boosting effects that mothers pass onto their babies with breast milk?

Dr. Kabara's research shows the immune-boosting effect is only seen when Lauric acid is broken down into monoglycerides before you digest them.

When babies consume mother's milk, the milk contains an enzyme that breaks down the Lauric acid into Monolaurin. Unfortunately, virgin coconut oil doesn't have this specific enzyme available for use.

Further studies showed your body can only get about 1 - 6% Monolaurin from any available Lauric acid. And this enzymatic conversion also depends on the total amount of Lauric acid found in the coconut oil you're eating.

Dr. Kabara believes you need a minimum 3 - 9 grams per day of Monolaurin for effective antiviral and antimicrobial effects.

That being said, you would need to ingest about 300 - 900 ml. of coconut oil per day. This is a large amount of oil and you'd probably get an upset stomach or diarrhea from eating this much pure coconut oil.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In otherwords it would take 69 tablespoons of virgin coconut oil a day to get the same benefit as monolaurin. I did the metric conversion of 900ml or 23 tablespoons for 300ml. Or this is the salesie speak on it.

Below is a sample of a site to purchase, but look closely and you'll see it is in increments of 300mg too small for the correct dose 10 pills a day for 3grams. The site James posted already seems to be the most cost effective place to get monolaurin or lauricidin. But I did find another.

http://www.illnessisoptional.com/ace/product.asp?ProdID=7839&gclid=CKPOlvPMl5UCFQO2FQodFBzUHA

Site James previously posted:

http://www.lauricidin.com/

Site I found (seems to be the cheapest):

http://www.wellnessresources.com/products/monolaurin.php?source=google&camp=monolaurin

I think James found another option to seriously consider. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Bob

Posts: 2150 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sparkle7
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 10397

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sparkle7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for breaking this down into an easy to understand post, Bob. I did some research on it & was unable to find anything that verifies that monolaurin can kill bacteria.

I was able to find some info about viruses & HIV but nothing on bacteria (other than the article you posted above).

It seems like it's something worthwhile to take but I don't know if it really does effect Lyme (other than James' observations).

Please post any additional info if you have it! I'm a little skeptical of info from places who sell the coconut oil, lauric acid or monolaurin...

Posts: 7772 | From Northeast, again... | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jamescase20
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks...I am sure your right.

Besides...I SEE IT in my scope.

The invaders are sick...and dying.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymie_in_md
Member # 14197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymie_in_md     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Monolaurin is pretty new and pretty easy to make. The idea seems pretty simple, provide lauric acid in a manner digestible from coconut oil. By doing this, it is the same immune fighting mechanism as mother's milk.

I'm not sure there is much for clinical testing.

--------------------
Bob

Posts: 2150 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymie_in_md
Member # 14197

Some published information specifically again staph aureus which is a bacteria difficult for antibiotics to handle:

http://www.academicjournals.org/AJB/PDF/pdf2006/2Jun/Ugbogu%20et%20al.pdf

http://westonaprice.org/knowyourfats/coconut-antimicrobial.html

--------------------
Bob

lymie_in_md
Member # 14197

Another link as to how its made and it is very interesting:

http://www.jstage.jst.go.jp/article/jos/53/10/497/_pdf

--------------------
Bob

gemofnj
Member # 15551

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gemofnj     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Seems very interesting. Does it have an effect on your cholesterol in any way? Is this supplement the same as an immune booster?

Here is another site that sells it: $13.56, 90 capsules, 300mg, serving size 1-2 capsules a day. Not sure if this is the same potency.

http://www.illnessisoptional.com/ace/product.asp?ProdID=7839&gclid=CM_2wM7ZmpUCFQS7sgodBFGxfw

Posts: 1127 | From atlantic city, nj | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymie_in_md
Member # 14197

GemofNY -- its the same, it just it's value which is only 300mg for 90pills, the recommendation is 3gm - 9gm, for 3gm you'd have to take 10 pills for 9gm 30 pills. The product on the site is selling for 23 dollars for 8ozs or 75 servings at 3grams.

--------------------
Bob

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement