LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » vanilla ice-cream is back on the menu

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: vanilla ice-cream is back on the menu
lymie_in_md
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 14197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymie_in_md     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
According to applied microbiology vanilla inhibits bacterial quorum sensing. The quorum sensing is necessary for pathogenic bacteria to form biofilm.

http://tinyurl.com/4o7m26

--------------------
Bob

Posts: 2150 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5829

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
YO HO and a big Zippity do dah!

The sun WILL come up tomorrow!

I am too tired to understand what you wrote... or to even click the link to attempt to read that too....

But I just wanted to say ...

YOU SURE MADE ME HAPPY just reading the title of your post!

[Big Grin]

Hot diggity dawgs!!! Get the spoons and the buckets... and let's have a party!

[lol]

I will try reading the reasons and information you posted later.. just right now.... nothing else will fit in my brain.

Bee Gees... I should be dannnncing... yeaaaaaa...

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brussels
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 13480

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brussels     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
BOB, the link is not working, I think... Or there was a problem in the website??

Selma

Posts: 6199 | From Brussels | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NanaDubo
Member # 14794

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NanaDubo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bob - you always find the good stuff! Could you please find something that says java chip is good for me [lol]
Posts: 1129 | From Maine | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nano, if java chip improves your outlook on life, it's good for you. So, there, now you've read it in writing from an ice cream expert! [Big Grin]

I've always liked vanilla (in anything) and I never even knew about the quorum sensing. LOL!

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymie_in_md
Member # 14197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymie_in_md     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it would be great, just lifting an ice screamed spoon with all of you. [group hug]

--------------------
Bob

Posts: 2150 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sunshinyday
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14337

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sunshinyday     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm going to buy some!!!!

--------------------
Gail

Posts: 234 | From Sterling, Ma | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Angelica
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would love to eat ice cream. I really like mint chip and Cherry Garcia. I have not had a bowl since I was diagnosed.

Are you guys worried about the sugar feeding candida or keets or am I the only one with these fears? I would hate to watch everyone else here eating ice cream while I was stuck in a state of needless fear.

Vanilla goes nicely in yogurt drinks. Is the liquid vanilla without alcohol in it or the real bean more beneficial in a smoothie?

I could not open the link but if anyone does please let us know what the article says and if you are eating ice cream please eat a bowl for me.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Angelica
Unregistered

I am so dead against soy because I don't think it is good for you that I would think real ice cream would be healthier but then each to their own.
lymie_in_md
Member # 14197

I guess tinyurl doesn't work all the time. Here's the link :

http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/journal/118581635/abstract?CRETRY=1&SRETRY=0

--------------------
Bob

sparkle7
Member # 10397

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sparkle7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That link didn't work either. Can you just copy the whole article? Does it specifically say vanilla ice cream or just vanilla?

I think that the biofilms can be made of different things depending on the bugs involved. It may be more specific than one size filts all... I really have to read the info, though.

It would be a nice medicine! Tw scoops & call me in the morning LOL.

Posts: 7772 | From Northeast, again... | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AZURE WISH
Member # 804

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AZURE WISH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Angelica

I definetely watch sugar. I avoid it...

but i do cheat sometimes with sugar free ice cream. lots of brands make it now. my fave is the breyers carb smart (they use splenda) ...

they make vanialla but i prefer chocolate [tsk] [lick]

--------------------
multiple chemical sensitvity group:
http://www.lymefriends.com/group/multiplechemicalsensitivities

Group for artists. All media welcome:
http://www.lymefriends.com/group/creativecorner

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Lyme_Artist

Posts: 3860 | From nj,usa | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymie_in_md
Member # 14197

It worked when I tested it earlier, oh well. Here's the essense of it.

quote:
Lett Appl Microbiol. 2006 Jun ;42 (6):637-41 16706905 (P,S,E,B) Inhibition of bacterial quorum sensing by vanilla extract.

[My paper] J H Choo, Y Rukayadi, J-K Hwang
Department of Biotechnology, Yonsei University, Seoul, Republic of Korea.
Aims: The purpose of this study was to search for a novel quorum sensing inhibitor and analyse its inhibitory activity. Methods and Results: Quorum sensing inhibition was monitored using the Tn-5 mutant, Chromobacterium violaceum CV026. Vanilla beans (Vanilla planifolia Andrews) were extracted using 75% (v/v) aqueous methanol and added to C. violaceum CV026 cultures. Inhibitory activity was measured by quantifying violacein production using a spectrophotometer. The results have revealed that vanilla extract significantly reduced violacein production in a concentration-dependent manner, indicating inhibition of quorum sensing. Conclusions: Vanilla, a widely used spice and flavour, can inhibit bacterial quorum sensing. Significance and Impact of the Study: The results suggest that the intake of vanilla-containing food materials might promote human health by inhibiting quorum sensing and preventing bacterial pathogenesis. Further studies are required to isolate specific substances from vanilla extract acting as quorum sensing inhibitors.

A long story short, vanilla extract prevents bacterial colonies to form and create biofilm. So as far as the vanilla ice-cream, bon appetit.

--------------------
Bob

Angelica
Unregistered

Strangely no mention of ice cream in that article.

Maybe James could look at some melting under a scope with some keets mixed in and see what happens.

I would rather soak my feet in ice cream then Simple Green.

Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-

Bob,

Thanks for the text. I think it's my Mac. I get a "cookies error" - funny term. I have no idea what that means, other than tracking.

Vanilla, oddly, is one thing that has come up in my research as being helpful for decreasing seizures.

I knew a girl in high school who used it as her cologne.

-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymie_in_md
Member # 14197

Vanilla extract seems to disrupt bacterial communication. So if you have that vanilla ice cream you might be disrupting the bacteria. Or basically anything with vanilla extract in it. There appears to be a great bit of research on it.

After being on lymenet for awhile, it really amazes me how substances affect how our bodies work. [Smile]

So dip your spoons into bacterial confusing container of vanilla ice cream. immmm! now didn't that taste good? [lol]

--------------------
Bob

Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-

Vanilla in the treatment of seizures - and vertigo.

I know infection can lower the seizure threshold. If vanilla helps block infection somehow, that might be part of how it helps to curb seizure activity.

H�agen-Dazs Vanilla ice-cream (as it has no additives) is a recent remedy for canine seizures - just a couple of tablespoons, though - for dogs right after a seizure. Part of that is that low blood sugar can trigger seizures and afterwards, it's vital to get some sugar into to the brain.

Paramedics were the first to tell me this for my own care. They just said sugar/glucose - together with some oil - to help my brain.

I stumbled upon the vanilla connection while searching herbal treatments to help to reduce seizures. (With a note, that for those with lyme/TBD, seizures usually resolve when the infection(s) is cleared. In the meantime . . . .)

---------------------------

www.itmonline.org/arts/pinellia.htm

PINELLIA, ARISAEMA, ACORUS, and TYPHONIUM - by Subhuti Dharmananda, Ph.D. - August 2000

EXCERPT:

Recent efforts by the Chinese to control epilepsy include: the use of VANILLIN (19), which is the taste component of vanilla beans,

but is also found in other herbs (mainly the Styrax trees, yielding styrax, benzoin, and liquidambar); the herb valerian combined with calcium and other agents (20); and the close relative of valerian, nardostachys (21) also used with other herbs.

. . . .

Citation:

19. Zhao Xiping, et al., Observations on the therapeutic effect of vanillin in the treatment of epilepsy, Chinese Journal of Neurology and Psychiatry, 1985; 18(3): 139-141.

-------------------------

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez

PubMed Search:

``vanillin in the treatment of epilepsy'' - 3 abstracts

===================

http://tinyurl.com/5farx8

Epilepsy Behav. 2006 Mar;8(2):376-83. Epub 2006 Feb 7.

Tian ma (Gastrodia), an ancient Chinese herb, offers new options for the treatment of epilepsy and other conditions.

Ojemann LM, Nelson WL, Shin DS, Rowe AO, Buchanan RA.
Department of Neurological Surgery, Regional Epilepsy Center, University of Washington School of Medicine, Seattle, WA, USA.

Our purpose is to bring attention to the antiepileptic properties of the Chinese herb tian ma and its constituents, as well as to suggest the potential for the development of new antiepileptic drugs (AEDs) related to this herb.

All available literature regarding the chemistry, pharmacology, animal data, and clinical use of tian ma and its constituents are reviewed, showing that tian ma, its constituents, and its symbiotic fungus Armillaria mellea have antiepileptic properties in in vitro and in vivo models.

One clinical study reportedly demonstrated the AED effects of a component of tian ma, vanillin. Thus, tian ma, its constituent vanillin, and its symbiotic fungus armillaria hold promise as cost-effective and less toxic alternatives to standard AEDs.

In addition, similar chemical compounds may be developed as AEDs.

PMID: 16461011

================

http://tinyurl.com/6lthss

Yao Xue Xue Bao. 1989;24(7):482-6.

The effect of vanillin on the fully amygdala-kindled seizures in the rat

[Article in Chinese]

Wu HQ, Xie L, Jin XN, Ge Q, Jin H, Liu GQ.

The anticonvulsive action of vanillin, an antiepileptic agent structurally related to vanillyl alcohol isolated from Gastrodia elata Blume, on the fully amygdala-kindled seizures was investigated.

Fully kindled seizures were produced by repeated application of low intensity electrical stimulation to the basolateral amygdala once per day. . . .

The stage 5 seizures were suppressed by vanillin ip 1 h before stimulation with the ED50 of 286 mg/kg.

Meanwhile, the epileptic afterdischarge duration was significantly shortened.

Phenytoin at a nontoxic dose 50 mg/kg ip obviously reduced the stage 5 seizures. The present study provides a very useful experimental model of chronic epilepsy to detect anticonvulsants.

PMID: 2618688

================

http://tinyurl.com/6a8lwk

Zhonghua Shen Jing Jing Shen Ke Za Zhi. 1985 Jun;18(3):139-41.

Therapeutic effect of vanillin in the treatment of epilepsy

No Abstract.

============

about VANILLIN (as present in gastrodia tuber) to curb seizures:

www.itmonline.org/arts/gastrodia.htm

MODERNIZING CHINESE MEDICINE - THE CASE OF ARMILLARIA AS GASTRODIA SUBSTITUTE - by Subhuti Dharmananda, Ph.D - December 2002

Excerpts:

Gastrodia (tianma) refers to the tuber of an orchid, Gastrodia elata.

. . . .

APPENDIX 3. Review of Clinical Applications for Gastrodia Tuber, _Armellaria Fermentation Liquid, and Armellaria Fungus Mycelium.

. . .

2. Epilepsy: Gastrodia tuber preparation is commonly used to treat minor paroxysm (petit mal seizure) of epilepsy, and shows benefit for other types of epilepsy as well (e.g., grand mal seizure).

In Jiangsu province, there were seven hospitals that utilized VANILLIN in treating 291 cases of various types of epilepsy by employing a switch-over study method (patients severed as their own controls).

Among them, 184 cases were treated with the gastrodia preparation alone and 107 cases had already tried various anti-epilepsy drugs without adequate response, then added the gastrodia preparation to their drug regimen.

The results indicated that 142 cases had marked improvement by using gastrodia, and the total effective rate of the treatment including gastrodia was 74%.

Among 184 cases treated with the gastrodia preparation only, the effective rate of minor paroxysm of epilepsy was 86%, of which the markedly effective was 57%; the effective rate of grand mal seizure and other types of epilepsy was 75%, among which the markedly effective rate was 50%

. . .

4. Vertigo. Gastrodia tuber is used for the treatment of vertigo caused by liver deficiency and liver wind. . . .

The effect of gastrodia tuber and Armellaria fungus on vertigo was thought to be due to their pharmacological actions of lowering blood pressure, tranquilizing, and dilating the cerebral vessels to improve cerebral blood flow. . . .

. . . . Full article at link.

-

[ 13. September 2008, 05:45 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-

This stuff is fabulous.

www.coconutbliss.com

COCONUT BLISS

As rich and creamy as premium ice cream, Luna & Larry's Coconut Bliss is a satisfying, delicious, and healthy alternative to dairy and soy-based frozen desserts.

Made from a base of naturally rich coconut milk and sweetened with agave syrup.

Coconut Bliss is certified organic and 100% vegan.

Flavors:

http://www.coconutbliss.com/html/flavors.html

. . .

Vanilla Island - Rich vanilla with a tropical undertone

Ingredients: Organic Coconut Milk (Organic Coconut, Water, Guar Gum), Organic Agave Syrup, Organic Fair Trade Vanilla Extract, Organic Fair Trade Vanilla Beans

. . .

Where can I buy Coconut Bliss?

http://coconutbliss.com/locator/index.php

NEW: Coconut Bliss can now be shipped directly to your door anywhere in the United States from Diamond Organics (click link to order)

=========
=========

At my local grocery: On Sale - $5.49 Each - one pint

From web site for delivery to your door - $7.95 - one pint

Pricey, but with 202 calories per serving (4 servings of 1/2 cup each to a pint), it is very rich and a little goes a long way.

-

Angelica
Unregistered

The neighbors dog must be reading lymenet. He told me he had vertigo this morning and he has volunteered to be treated daily with vanilla ice cream.

He mentioned he thought a waffle cone might boost the effectiveness of the vanilla.

I am sure it is just his bart brain barking.

[ 13. September 2008, 08:20 PM: Message edited by: Angelica ]

lymie_in_md
Member # 14197

Alright Angelica, it is my distinct pleasure to give the venerable 3 [lol] [lol] [lol] salute for extraodinary humour in the face of lyme adversity. Again I salute you. [Wink]

--------------------
Bob

Keebler
Member # 12673

-

Angelica,

Thanks for that nice laugh out loud !

Were I to ask all the dogs in my apt. complex, I'd bet that's what they'd say they've been trying to tell me all along.

-

Angelica
Unregistered

Today after his cone he suggested a long term study needs to be completed.

He claims he has a few friends he wants to sign up for the vanilla study. He also claims he is seeing a huge improvement of his vertigo symptoms with the vanilla ice cream. Could it be the placebo effect? He says it is too early to tell.

Tonight I plan to go over Dr. B's 2005 guidelines with him and the Lyme diet.

Keebler
Member # 12673

-

He may be consoled if he can get into the almond milk and vanilla study instead.

-

sparkle7
Member # 10397

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sparkle7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's hard to say about how much vanilla you would need to take to stop or prevent QS (quorem sensing)...

That's funny about the dog... Anyone see the Son of Sam movie by Spike Lee? For some reason that popped into my head. I have a weird sense of humor....

That coconut ice cream sounds great. I haven't seen it here.

Posts: 7772 | From Northeast, again... | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hoosiers51
Member # 15759

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hoosiers51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Real vanilla extract is expensive. The little brown bottle labelled "Vanilla" that most people have in their kitchens doesn't really come from vanilla beans.

I HIGHLY doubt any "vanilla" ice creams out there have REAL vanilla extract in them, even the expensive ice creams. I could be wrong though.

Even if they say there are no artificial flavors, maybe there is a natural substitute that tastes like vanilla.

I have just seen in specialty cooking stores how much the "real deal" costs, and that is why I'm doubtful that even Hagen Daas uses real vanilla extract.

Just something people should be aware of.

Posts: 4590 | From Midwest | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canbravelyme
Member # 9785

Icon 1 posted      Profile for canbravelyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
vanilla honey bee ice cream:
Ingredients: CREAM, SKIM MILK, HONEY, EGG YOLKS, SUGAR, NATURAL VANILLA.

vanilla bean ice cream:
Ingredients: CREAM, SKIM MILK, SUGAR, EGG YOLKS, NATURAL FLAVOR, GROUND VANILLA BEANS.

etc.: http://www.haagendazs.com/products/product.aspx?id=306

xoxoxo [lick]

--------------------
For medical advice related to Lyme disease, please see an ILADS physician.

Posts: 1494 | From Getting there... | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Angelica
Unregistered

The neighbor's dog has been insisting on the real deal and homemade. Time consuming but if it helps his vertigo worth it.

Real Vanilla Bean Ice Cream

Recipe courtesy Emeril Lagasse, 2005

1 vanilla bean

2 cups whole milk

1 cup heavy cream

5 large eggs

1/2 cup sugar

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

With a small sharp knife cut the vanilla bean in half lengthwise. Place the milk and cream in a small, heavy saucepan.

Using the tip of the knife, scrape the seeds from the vanilla bean halves into the milk and add both halves to the saucepan.

Set the saucepan on the stovetop and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Remove from the heat.

Crack the eggs and whisk the eggs and sugar in a mixing bowl until pale yellow and well combined, about 2 minutes.

Using a ladle, add about 1/2 cup of the hot milk mixture to the eggs and whisk to combine.

Add the egg mixture to the hot milk in the saucepan and stir well with a wooden spoon.

Return the pan to medium heat and cook, stirring constantly, until the mixture is slightly thickened and coats the back of a spoon, about 5 minutes.

Remove the custard from the heat and strain through a fine mesh strainer into a clean mixing bowl, pressing down on the strainer with a rubber spatula to get as much liquid as possible into the bowl.

Discard the vanilla bean halves and any other solids sticking to the strainer.

Add the vanilla extract to the bowl.

Stir the custard for 5 minutes with a whisk until cooled slightly.

Cover the bowl with plastic wrap, pressing the wrap gently against the surface of the custard.

Refrigerate until thoroughly chilled, about 2 hours, stirring occasionally.

Pour the custard into the bowl of an ice-cream maker and process according to manufacturer's directions.

Serve immediately or transfer to an airtight plastic container and store in the freezer for up to 1 week.

Jill E.
Member # 9121

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jill E.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If Ben & Jerry's can come out with a Cherry Garcia flavor, they sure can develop a Vertigo Vanilla for us! And they're based in Vermont, where there's plenty of Lyme!!

I have treated myself to the occasional ice cream, including vanilla, and unfortunately still have dizziness and myoclonic movements. Obviously I'm not eating enough of it!!!

Jill

--------------------
If laughter is the best medicine, why hasn't stand-up comedy cured me?

Posts: 1773 | From San Diego | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hoosiers51
Member # 15759

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hoosiers51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looks like I stand corrected, Canbravelyme! [Smile]

But seriously, I doubt that that small amount of vanilla is enough when mixed into all that ice cream. I am still doubting this eat ice cream and dissolve biofilms thing.

You would probably be better making some sort of blackberry-vanilla topping to put on top of ice cream or angel cake.

Than you could actually pour something on the ice cream and you KNOW how much of the extract goes into what you eat.

I usually wash blackberries, and mix them in a bowl with some sugar, cover and let sit in refrigerator for 30 minutes or longer so the juices develop.

Than add this to a pot.....maybe throw in some sugar...heat it up....mix it, melt it, mash it. Then, add REAL vanilla extract (not the McCormick's) with some cinnamon. Let this all warm together and/or reduce down over medium heat.

Then you can pour it over ice cream or poundcake.

I haven't actually tried this as I described it....I made it last Christmas Eve and it turned out really well, but this is my vague recollection of it.

Posts: 4590 | From Midwest | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NanaDubo
Member # 14794

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NanaDubo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had some vanilla ice cream in Germany last night that tasted like nothing I've ever had [lick]

I bet it had real vanilla in it [Big Grin]

Posts: 1129 | From Maine | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nwisser
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15682

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nwisser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Breyers, too, makes a point of saying they use real vanilla. I'm off ice cream for now, but I will add a little vanilla extract to my peach and yogurt smoothie this morning. I always make a point to buy real vanilla extract.

--------------------
Just because it' s not nice doesn' t mean it' s not miraculous.
--Terry Pratchett

Posts: 121 | From Nazareth, PA | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
richedie
Member # 14689

Icon 1 posted      Profile for richedie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I still would not trust it, I don't do dairy and dairy is loaded with milk sugars as well. You have to be careful as some said about the source of the vanilla. Even vanilla yogurt is loaded with sugar!

--------------------
Mepron/Zith/Ceftin
Doxy/Biaxin/Flagyl pulse.
Artemisinin with Doxy/Biaxin.
Period of Levaquin and Ceftin.
Then Levaquin, Bactrim and Biaxin.
Bactrim/Augmentin/Rifampin.
Mepron/Biaxin/Artemisinin/Cat's Claw
Rifampin/Bactrim/Alinia
Plaquenil/Biaxin

Posts: 1949 | From Pennsylvania | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nwisser
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15682

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nwisser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I meant I use plain yogurt and a peach and sweeten with stevia. I don't trust pre-sweetened yogurts. They sometimes have hidden gluten. Should I give up yogurt completely? Maybe, but I'm not there yet. [Smile]

--------------------
Just because it' s not nice doesn' t mean it' s not miraculous.
--Terry Pratchett

Posts: 121 | From Nazareth, PA | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-

I put vanilla in many things. Over apple slices, even in steamed spinach with nutmeg, in whatever alternate "milk" I have on hand - and as others mentioned, plain yogurt.

Trader Joe's has a wonderful pure Tahitian vanilla extract as a good price. I replaced the top with a long dropper from an herbal extract and use it as a delicious medicine - it's cheaper than herbal tinctures.

-

aklnwlf
Member # 5960

Icon 10 posted      Profile for aklnwlf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hah!!! I knew there was a reason when I bought that double pack of 2 half gallons Vanilla Ice Cream from Sam's yesterday!

To be effective and to receive the most benefits I'm gonna double my serving size!

[woohoo] [lol] [lick] [Big Grin]

--------------------
Do not take this as medical advice. This comment is based on opinion and personal experience only.

Alaska Lone Wolf

Posts: 6145 | From Columbus, GA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymie_in_md
Member # 14197

Hay ALW leave some for the rest of us. [lol]

--------------------
Bob

Angelica
Unregistered

Bob the dog has now ramped up to 16 waffle cones a day. He claims he needs that amount or he crashes into flower pots and planter boxes due to severe vertigo from Babesia and or Lyme disease.

Regarding the 16 waffle cones a day could that possibly be too many? I have noticed him crashing into flower pots early in the morning before he begins his daily vanilla ice cream intake. He weaves his way over to my house crashing into things. Once he has eaten his ice cream his vertigo symptoms seem to improve or at least until the following morning.

Should I be monitoring his cholesterol levels I am a bit concerned about all the fat he is eating?

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement