LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » ok, who's getting a flu shot??

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: ok, who's getting a flu shot??
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
not me.....last time i got one i was sicker than dog...i'd rather take my chances with the flu....

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
timaca
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 6911

Icon 1 posted      Profile for timaca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got my first ever flu shot last year, and it did save me from getting the flu that the rest of my family got.

I do think I will get a flu shot again this year. The ID doctor treating me is the one who recommended it last year.

Best,
Timaca

Posts: 2872 | From above 7,000 ft in a pine forest | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sunshinyday
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14337

Icon 4 posted      Profile for sunshinyday     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not Me!!!!!! I've seen too many people get ill from them!

The question that I have is does the fl;u or the flu shot come first?

I know of two older women who died eventually died from reactions to the shots and they had had them before.

No thank you!
[shake]

--------------------
Gail

Posts: 234 | From Sterling, Ma | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aiden424
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7633

Icon 1 posted      Profile for aiden424     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not me!! My husband got one last year and still got the flu. In fact we both got the flu, but he was much more sick then me. He isn't getting one this year either. I've never had a flu shot since having Lyme.

Kathy

--------------------
You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.

Posts: 807 | From South Dakota | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pryorka
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13649

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pryorka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not me it's what triggered my illness with lyme and babesia. I was perfectly healthy until I got that thing, now I've been sick for over two years.
Posts: 499 | From Indiana | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
adamm
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do a search for a video by the title of "The Chemical Dumbing DOwn of America."

No more vaccines shall I be getting.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hurtingramma
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7770

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hurtingramma     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I always get the flu shot on the advice of my LLMD

--------------------
"Few of us can do great things, but all of us can do small things with great love". Mother Theresa

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1629665573&ref=name

Posts: 938 | From Northeast Kingdom Vermont | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nope! Never!!!

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=059529#000002

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Flu shot ingredients:

Vaccine Fillers and Ingredients

In addition to the viral and bacterial RNA or DNA that is part of the vaccines, vaccine fillers and ingredients include:

aluminum hydroxide
aluminum phosphate
ammonium sulfate
amphotericin B
animal tissues: pig blood, horse blood, rabbit brain,
dog kidney, monkey kidney,
chick embryo, chicken egg, duck egg
calf (bovine) serum
betapropiolactone
fetal bovine serum
formaldehyde (EMBALMING FLUID)
formalin
gelatin
glycerol
human diploid cells (originating from human aborted fetal tissue)
hydrolized gelatin
monosodium glutamate (MSG)
neomycin
neomycin sulfate
phenol red indicator
phenoxyethanol (ANTIFREEZE)
potassium diphosphate
potassium monophosphate
polymyxin B
polysorbate 20
polysorbate 80
porcine (pig) pancreatic hydrolysate of casein
residual MRC5 proteins
sorbitol
sucrose
thimerosal (MERCURY)
tri(n)butylphosphate,
VERO cells, a continuous line of monkey kidney cells
washed sheep red blood cells

--------------------

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymielauren28
Member # 13742

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymielauren28     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks TuTu - I think I'd rather smoke crack [Big Grin]

Lauren

--------------------
"The only way out is through"

Posts: 1434 | From mississippi | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Angelica
Unregistered

Never got one and NEVER will get one.

Some of them contain MERCURY! Not into getting injected with toxic anything. My mouth is already full of enough mercury as is thanks to the wonderful dentists I went to when I was younger.

Monkey kidney that sounds just like what I want in my body.

[ 03. October 2008, 03:07 PM: Message edited by: Angelica ]

Lymetoo
Member # 743

quote:
Originally posted by lymielauren28: Thanks TuTu - I think I'd rather smoke crack [Big Grin]

[lol]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Curiouser
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14128

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Curiouser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nope. With any luck (and a little persuasion), hubby won't be either this year. Every time he gets one, we both get sick.

--------------------
If you don't know where you are going, any road will take you there. - Lewis Carroll

Posts: 356 | From Body-PA, Mind-elsewhere | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
feelfit
Member # 12770

Icon 1 posted      Profile for feelfit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not me, no way.

Feelfit

Posts: 3975 | From usa | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

up
joalo
Member # 12752

Icon 1 posted      Profile for joalo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No way!!!

I'd rather get the flu than put all of that crap into my body. [Eek!]

--------------------
Sick since January 1985. Misdiagnosed for 20 years. Tested CDC positive October 2005. Treating since April 2006.

Posts: 3228 | From Somewhere west of the Mississippi | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeloco
Unregistered

I agree wiht lymetoo. I never had one and when I did, I got sick!
heiwalove
Member # 6467

Icon 1 posted      Profile for heiwalove     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
no way. for all the reasons stated above.

--------------------
http://www.myspace.com/violinexplosion

Posts: 1848 | From seattle, wa | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
psano2
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11711

Icon 1 posted      Profile for psano2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've already gotten mine this year. I don't know, I've gotten them for many years in a row and I've never had a problem with them myself.
Posts: 975 | From California | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sammy
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 13952

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sammy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Definitely! I plan on getting my flu shot later this week.

I went one year without getting the shot and learned my lesson, missed a whole week of school and work, completely miserable.

I also work with kids in the health care field so I am highly exposed. Can't afford to get sicker finance wise and physically my body could not handle it.

If you're worried about preservatives (Thimerosal, etc,...) just ask your doc or pharmacist for the preservative free version.

Posts: 5237 | From here | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Angelica
Unregistered

I would rather take medicinal mushrooms any day and they probably work better than a flu shot. I have friends who get the flu shot yearly and they still seem to get a bad case of the flu.
maureen2174
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11471

Icon 1 posted      Profile for maureen2174     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not me! No more vaccines EVER for me or anyone in my family.

I stopped giving vaccines to my 3 year old son (last shots when he was 2 and he was way behind anyway since we didn't start vaccines until he was 6 months old and were only doing 2 at a time- wish I knew then what I know now though (sorry that I gave him ANY), next baby will get NONE!)

Anyway, here is a good link regarding flu vaccines....

http://www.lewrockwell.com/miller/miller27.html

Posts: 871 | From NJ | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marnie
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you chose to get a flu shot, you CAN request one that does NOT contain mercury.

If you think they do NOT contain mercury...you better go here (!!!):

http://www.cdc.gov/FLU/ABOUT/QA/thimerosal.htm

Also...do you have an egg allergy?

"One theory regarding the causes of food allergies focuses on proteins presented in the blood along with vaccines, which are designed to provoke an immune response.

Influenza vaccines and the Yellow Fever vaccine

are still egg-based,

but the Measles-Mumps-Rubella vaccine stopped using eggs in 1994. There is resistance to this theory, especially as it applies to autoimmune disease."

"What are the risks from influenza vaccine?

As with any medicine, there is a very small risk that serious problems, even death, could occur after taking the vaccine. The risk from the vaccine is much smaller than the risk from the disease. Serious problems from the flu vaccine are rare.

If they occur, the problems usually start soon after the vaccination and usually last up to 1-2 days. These may include:

* soreness, redness, or swelling where the shot was given.

* fever.

* aches.

Tell your doctor or nurse if you:

* have a serious allergy to eggs.

* ever had a serious allergic reaction or other problem after getting influenza vaccine.

* were ever paralyzed with Guillain-Barr� Syndrome (which was linked to the swine flu vaccine in 1976 but has not been clearly linked to flu vaccinations since then).

**** now have a moderate or severe illness.***

What to do if there is a serious reaction:

* Call a doctor or get the person to a doctor right away.

* Write down what happened and the date and time it happened.

* Ask the doctor, nurse or health department to file a Vaccine Adverse Event Report (VAERs) form (
1-800-822-7967 or vaers.hhs.gov or call 1-212-676-2288).

http://www.nyc.gov/html/doh/html/imm/imminflu.shtml

Or:

According to the CDC, some people should not be vaccinated without first talking to a doctor. In general, you should *not* get a flu shot if you:

Had a severe allergic reaction to chickens or egg protein

Have a fever

or illness that is more than "just a cold"

Had a moderate to severe reaction after a previous flu vaccine

Are a woman who is, or might be, in the first trimester of pregnancy (first 3 months of pregnancy)

Have ever been paralyzed due to Guillain-Barre Syndrome

If you meet any of the above criteria, ask your doctor if a flu vaccine is safe for you."

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/002025.htm

Posts: 9424 | From Sunshine State | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dawnee
Unregistered

Nope! None of our family will ever be getting any more vaccines unless there is an epidemic of Yellow Fever, or Small Pox or some such thing (and thats only after seeing how everyone who gets them reacts to em)

I don't trust the makers of these vaccines as far as I can throw em (and I can barely throw a pebble)

Paula 007
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8002

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Paula 007     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, yeah. We've always gotten it and will again this year. Had the pneumonia vaccine also - that is recommended once for people over 50! The only time I had the flu was in 1981 before I started getting flu shots. Remember, the shot only "claims" to protect you against some strains of the flu. I think what protects us most is that we seldom come in contact with other people - so we seldom get their illnesses.
Posts: 108 | From Florida | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Erica741
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15186

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Erica741     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Paula 007: I think what protects us most is that we seldom come in contact with other people - so we seldom get their illnesses.
That's my thought too. I am still pretty housebound, so figure my odds of exposure to the flu are fairly low. The first time I got a flu shot I actually got a mini-flu for the next few days (years ago). Then I got one last fall, and relapsed 2 days later.

Whatever is in the flu shot, I'll pass and take my chances.

I'm living with my parents and they are going to get flu shots partly to avoid bringing the flu home to me. I don't think their doctor does anything besides the routine version will all the chemicals. Any ideas where they can get a purer or more natural version?

Thanks,

Erica

Posts: 408 | From California | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

quote:
Originally posted by Marnie:
If you chose to get a flu shot, you CAN request one that does NOT contain mercury.

If you think they do NOT contain mercury...you better go here (!!!):

http://www.cdc.gov/FLU/ABOUT/QA/thimerosal.htm

Great... will they also remove the aluminum, the formaldehyde, and the anti-freeze??? [shake]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Angelica
Unregistered

I hope everyone at the CDC is getting a flu shot this year and the all of the IDSA as well.

Here is a link that tells what is in all kinds of different vaccines

http://tinyurl.com/z7t2f

I really think feline vaccines were really hard on my cat. It would take her a day or two to recover from getting her vaccines. She would go straight to her bed when she would return home from the vet.

She died kind of young too and had such strange medical problems that they sent her body off to UC Davis to study.

Who dreams up what goes into these shots?

tickled1
Member # 14257

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tickled1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I won't be getting one as I seriously crashed w/Lyme after getting one a couple of years ago (then it took me a year to get dx as i declined rapidly).

I had plenty of signs before the shot but that's what finally did me in.

I've been debating about getting one for my 2 yr. old though. She had an appointment for one last wk. that I cancelled b/c I'm just not sure. There's also the chance that she's congenital so I'm watching her like a hawk.

If she does have Lyme I don't want the flu shot to push her over the edge like it did me. She did have a flu shot last year and was ok from the shot but still got a terrible case of the flu and ended up with a 105 degree temp. Her dr. said the strain she got was not included in the vaccine.

I also know a woman that got Guillain Barre syndrome years ago so that freaks me out. Coincidentally, that woman now also has Lyme.

So I don't know yet if I'll be getting a flu shot for my 2 yr. old. Her office uses the thimerisol free version.

Posts: 2541 | From Northeast | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kiwikid
Member # 12974

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kiwikid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have NEVER had a flu shot, but I did ask my LLMD last year before flu season if I should take the shot. He said absolutely NOT.
Posts: 44 | From Oklahoma | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pmerv
Member # 1504

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pmerv   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I get one every year and never get flu. Flu could kill me because my lung capacity is compromised by AS. I can't expand my chest fully. My dr recommended it and I do. I never have a problem with it. Once the bandaid made it itch for a week but otherwise, no problem.

--------------------
Phyllis Mervine
LymeDisease.org

Posts: 1808 | From Ukiah, California, USA | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pmerv
Member # 1504

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pmerv   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maureen, my son got whooping cough in spite of having been vaccinated. He caught it from a child who had not been vaccinated. He wasn't very ill with it but it wasn't fun. Whooping cough can kill small children. People have forgotten the diseases that used to kill many babies every year. If you don't vaccinate, you are depending on the fact that other people DO. Eventually the balance will tip and we will see many more deaths for these diseases that we have vaccines for but people are not using.

--------------------
Phyllis Mervine
LymeDisease.org

Posts: 1808 | From Ukiah, California, USA | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Now they are trying to scare parents into getting their children a flu shot.

They said on TV today that IF a child were to have a staph infection and got the flu, they could die.

WEll, DUH!!! [shake]

They could also die from a flu shot mixed with staph. [shake]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement