LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Feeling emo... LLMD gave me Vyvanse and Welbutrin.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Feeling emo... LLMD gave me Vyvanse and Welbutrin.
Chronic Triathlete
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15245

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Chronic Triathlete   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Had an interesting meeting with my LLMD today. I've been having wicked bouts of depression over the last few weeks. So bad, in fact, that my therapist called my LLMD (with my permission) to let him know how low I was getting and to try and understand if it was drug or bug driven (caused by Lyme or a side effect).

The dips usually for a day or two (or 5) when I get spikes in my symptoms or suffer a rough herx. I think we've probably all been there at some point. Anyway, because of all this concern about my emotional state, my meeting with him revolved almost entirely around getting my head screwed back on properly [loco] He offered up a could of pharma solutions and I was wondering if anyone has taken them. They are...

Vyvanse:
Given to help cut through my brainfog. I did a quick search here and got zero results. Could I be the first one to try this?! I doubt it... anyone have any experiences to share?

Google says it's was originally for kids with ADHD, but now it's available for adults (I'm 38). Doc says it'll help "sharpen" and "clear" my head. My brainfog, while not horrific, is my number one issue.

Wellbutrin:
Searches for this turned up a lot of stories -- most of which seemed positive (thanks!) -- but maybe somebody wants to chime in with additional thoughts?

--------------------
10.24.07 Sick
03.31.08 Diagnosed IGeneX WB with Bb
04.08.09 Fry Bart

Updated 02.06.10 � On an ABX break since July 09, gluten-free, lots of exercise.

My blog: http://www.chronictriathlete.com/wordpress

Posts: 199 | From Brooklyn, NY | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeHerx001
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 6215

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeHerx001     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very interesting. I have never heard of Vyvanse. Could you be misspelling it?

Is this the generic drug or the chemical name?

Thank
lymeHerx

Posts: 2905 | From New England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tracy9
Member # 7521

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tracy9         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Vyvanese is an ADHD drug. It doesn't break down to become a stimulant until it is metabolized, so it is "abuse proof", a plus for teenagers and college students or whomever might try and abuse these drugs by taking way more than prescribed.

It is fairly new. My son (13) was prescribed it. It wasn't right for him, but it will be interesting to see how it works in an adult.

I think it's great your doctor is willing to try something for the brain fog. I take Adderall, and would not function without it. I think we deserve to have the help we need. It's a lousy feeling to try and live through brain fog and fatigue. The Adderall helps me immensely with both.

--------------------
NO PM; CONTACT: [email protected]

13 years Lyme & Co.; Small Fiber Neuropathy; Myasthenia Gravis, Adrenal Insufficiency. On chemo for 2 1/2 years as experimental treatment for MG.

Posts: 4480 | From Northeastern Connecticut | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chronic Triathlete
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15245

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chronic Triathlete   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's a link. I seem to be spelling it right http://www.vyvanse.com. I assume it's the marketing name.

I'll be shocked if I'm the LymeNet guinea pig for this.

/CT

--------------------
10.24.07 Sick
03.31.08 Diagnosed IGeneX WB with Bb
04.08.09 Fry Bart

Updated 02.06.10 � On an ABX break since July 09, gluten-free, lots of exercise.

My blog: http://www.chronictriathlete.com/wordpress

Posts: 199 | From Brooklyn, NY | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
djf2005
Member # 11449

Icon 1 posted      Profile for djf2005     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
my friend takes vyvanne i think it is.

he doesnt like it but its similar to provigil i understand and i take provigil every day and wouldnt be without it

derek

--------------------
"Experience is not what happens to you; it is what you do with what happens to you."

[email protected]

Posts: 2269 | From Lansdowne, Pa | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tracy9
Member # 7521

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tracy9         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, it might help you dramatically, and again I applaud your LLMD for trying new things and wanting to help you with your symptoms. So many just gloss over the fatigue and brain fog even though there are many medications that can help it immensely, like Provigil, Adderall, Vyvanese, Ritalin, Concerta, etc.

--------------------
NO PM; CONTACT: [email protected]

13 years Lyme & Co.; Small Fiber Neuropathy; Myasthenia Gravis, Adrenal Insufficiency. On chemo for 2 1/2 years as experimental treatment for MG.

Posts: 4480 | From Northeastern Connecticut | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cass A
Member # 11134

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cass A     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Psychiatric drugs can have serious physical side effects, including brain shrinkage, depression, violence, and others.

There is a serious problem with Pharma marketing them for unapproved and un-studied uses, in violation of Federal law. More than one lawsuit is on-going for this type of behavior. Also, now for mis-reporting studies and not releasing known data about serious adverse effects.

Realize that psychiatric drugs do NOT address CAUSES, they only suppress symptoms. Sometimes, these symptoms actually become worse. There is the phenomenon of people actually getting up and driving while asleep, and running into things, just as an example.

Before going the pharmacy route, I would check out http://www.alternativementalhealth.com relating to non-drug possibilities.

I recently posted here about "something good for the brain," which I'm using and has really helped with the brain fog issue for me--without any drugs.

ANY drugs eat up B vitamins. Depletion of B vitamins can cause serious mood problems. You could also try 100 mg B Complex twice a day, plus extra B1 or some Brewer's Yeast, which is very high in B vitamins and protein.

Due to the risks and knowing that these drugs are NOT addressing the disease you know you have, it might be a good idea to try something non-pharmaceutical.

Hope this helps.

Best,

Cass A

Posts: 1245 | From Thousand Oaks, CA | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement