LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » What antibiotics take away the small minute twitches?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What antibiotics take away the small minute twitches?
Hoosiers51
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 15759

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hoosiers51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been having little muscle spasms I guess...they aren't too visible to the naked eye, but they are everywhere.

It was keeping me awake last night laying in bed just because they are so weird.

It seems the most frequent place i get them is in my face....random places like abover upper lip, to the side of one eye, in a certain place on my forehead.....you get the picture.

I also get them other places too though all over the body.

I am assuming it is either Lyme or Bartonella. I take magnesium, etc, so I am ruling out other causes for now.

This symptom has been flaring lately in response to me reducing some of my antimicrobials in preparation for starting new ones.

My question is, who has had these twitches, and what antibiotics take these away? Whatever it is, I need to treat it before it gets bad.

Posts: 4590 | From Midwest | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FunkOdyssey
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15855

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FunkOdyssey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had pretty severe muscle twitching that mostly disappeared over the course of a month on 400mg doxycycline. I still have occasional twitches but only about 10% as many as I had initially.
Posts: 195 | From Manchester, CT | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hoosiers51
Member # 15759

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hoosiers51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks. I'm hoping to start Minocycline soon, so I have confidence that will help. I am just in a strange limbo position where I need a few different drugs that interact......so i know Mino would help with this, but I have to give up my Mepron in order to take it....so I'm in a rough spot.

You sort of confirmed my suspicion that a tetracycline would be good for this. It just feels like that sort of thing...somewhere in that ambiguous "lyme/bart" area.

This symptom isn't like the classic Lyme muscle pain/joint pain/headaches which would cause me to reach for Amoxicillin or Ceftin, but it also isn't like the Bart symptoms, namely cognitive/psych stuff, that would make me take Cipro or Rifampin.

Sorry, i'm jabbering.

Posts: 4590 | From Midwest | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FunkOdyssey
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15855

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FunkOdyssey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good luck with the minocycline -- I'll be interested to know if it reduces your twitching, so I hope you report back after some time on it.
Posts: 195 | From Manchester, CT | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-

Just be aware that minocycline can affect the inner ear. If you have any trouble in that be sure to have a back-up plan. Some people do very well with it but others do find it very rough. It's hard to know how you will do before you use it.

If you do start mino, NAC and B-6 might help keep some of the inner ear effects at bay, especially vertigo.

Whatever the cause, though, magnesium is known to help what you describe. It is fabulous to help calm the nervous tissue and detox, too.

B-6 with it improves the function.

And, fish oil is fabulous for helping this, too.

good luck.

-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hoosiers51
Member # 15759

Thank you Keebler and Funk. I am supposed to start Rifampin too, so I'm not sure which I should start first, or if I should start them on the same day. I may initiate a new post with that question.
jkmom
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14004

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jkmom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have these muscle twitches. They are mostly in my legs but other places, too.

Taking zithromox has reduced them enough that I hardly notice them anymore.

Posts: 984 | From US | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hoosiers51
Member # 15759

That is freaky because one of the drugs I just reduced was my Zithromax (went from 500 to 250 daily), and my twitches are worse now. Ugh!
Just Julie
Member # 1119

Icon 4 posted      Profile for Just Julie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It looks like you a recent newcomer to lymenet. If you search "muscle twitching" or similar, you will see many of us have this symptom. It is disturbing, and you can't but hope that taking abx for the lyme will make them go away. . .

that said, I dont' want to burst your bubble, bring you down, etc., but muscle twitching was my first noticable "symptom", one that led me to eventually find that I did/do have lyme disease. This was in May of 2000.

I took abx combos, with a very well known LLMD in S.F. for 3-4 years straight, in total. My LLMD never gave me a clear cut answer as to why, and how long, my muscle twitching would last, if they would ever go away, what was the cause of them, any info, really.

No one or combo abx regime cleared them from me. I twitch to this day. Only thing I notice happening is that, when under stress (physical as well as psychological) the twitching will increase in duration and intensity. I can have muscles twitch for weeks at a time (same muscle or muscle group, such as an abdomen, or arm) only to leave, and not return.

I also have random, pinball binging off sides of wall type twitching.

I'm sorry to report that I have not found any answer to getting rid of them. I continue to read this message board to see if someone, anyone, any LLMD, has come up with an answer, but so far, none seem to have, or no one is reporting it on this board.

The only comfort I did find is that, I did NOT develop ALS, or MS, as I originally thought I had, because when you type in "muscle twitching" into google, you get lots of hits for MS and ALS. If you spend any amount of time reading those sites, you'll see that there is no answer.

No magnesium, no abx, has relieved it for me, and for alot of others.
take care,
Julie

--------------------
Julie

Posts: 1027 | From Northern CA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hoosiers51
Member # 15759

i don't know if mine would technically be described as twitching or not......it is not necessarily visible to the naked eye. So who knows....
mandy614
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16524

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mandy614     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hoosiers, I talked to my LLMD yesterday and mentioned the mepron and mino interaction. He said to take both is ok, doxy is what needs to cut out. Still, that stuff is too expensive to waste, and mino is a tetracycline, so I'm going to stop until I see him next.
Posts: 348 | From maryland | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement