LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » low feritin =low iron?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: low feritin =low iron?
njlymemom
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15088

Icon 1 posted      Profile for njlymemom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does low feritin levels mean more than just low iron?

--------------------
This is NOT medical advice - and should NOT be used to replace your MD's advice. Info is only the opinion of those who publish the site.

The shortest way to do many things is to do only one thing at a time.

cb

Posts: 669 | From somewherebetweentherocks | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
disturbedme
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 12346

Icon 1 posted      Profile for disturbedme   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, it usually means an iron deficiency is present.

Found this and thought it would be something of value to post here for you to read:

"The level of ferritin, which also can be described as iron storage or a reservoir, reveals more about the body than the haemoglobin level, because nature sets the priority on the keeping haemoglobin level up as this is a life sustaining process.

When this reservoir is depleted, all other 179 functions in the system that require iron have less priority and are already operating below optimum by the time that the haemoglobin value goes down. As a result, even with a normal haemoglobin level, a person can suffer from excessively low iron.

A final indication would be to look at the red blood cells under a microscope. Often these will be deformed, small and discolored due to insufficient iron in the system. Such red blood cells are not capable of performing their main function of transporting oxygen throughout the body!"

--------------------
One can never consent to creep when one feels an impulse to soar.
~ Helen Keller

My Lyme Story

Posts: 2965 | From Land of Confusion (bitten in KS, moved to PA, now living in MD) | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
njlymemom
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15088

Icon 1 posted      Profile for njlymemom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for your reply. I think I read this too in one of the posts when I did a search earlier this morning.

I guess what I am asking is can this be indicative to certain infections? My daughter has taken a turn for the worse this week. She is being treated for Lyme, Bart and Babs.

Is there any link to feritin levels being low with any of our known infections or co's? Trying to figure out what we are missing.

Going through her file, the feritin level is consistantly low in all her bloodwork for over 2 years.

Read online that there is a connection b/twn low feritin and thyroid problems. I am not well versed in knowledge of thyroid disease. She is very fatigued, and her thyroid tests in the past have been normal.

Her main symptoms are cough, and "head-cold" type symptoms. Not what I would associate with a thyroid illness. Pediatrician ruled out the ordinary/commom concerns yesterday.

Our LLMD is very thorough with testing. Our daughter is consistantly, however showing low feritin levels.

The only coinfection that we have not addressed, and it has not come back pos, are the myco infections.

There are some great brains out there. What do you think?

--------------------
This is NOT medical advice - and should NOT be used to replace your MD's advice. Info is only the opinion of those who publish the site.

cb

Posts: 669 | From somewherebetweentherocks | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
disturbedme
Member # 12346

Icon 1 posted      Profile for disturbedme   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, low ferritin levels as well as anemia can be a sign of Babesia.

--------------------
One can never consent to creep when one feels an impulse to soar.
~ Helen Keller

My Lyme Story

Posts: 2965 | From Land of Confusion (bitten in KS, moved to PA, now living in MD) | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
njlymemom
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15088

Thank you -

She is in her 3rd month for Bab tx.

If I have her bloodwork done now, should the feritin level be higher if the Mepron/zith combo is working?

Feeling a little helpless at the moment. She is a real trooper, but can see tht she is tired of being sick and tired.

Thanks again for the info.

--------------------

cb

Wimenin
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15294

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wimenin         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would say listen to your LLMD in regards to the iron/ferritin levels.

My LLMD specifically had me do two phlebotomys (blood draws), in order to lower my ferritin level, with the reasoning that the higher the ferritin, the more your liver has to work. The liver is already overtaxed from abx, so the higher ferritin may be making it work harder.

If the levels are high, its usually with men vs women due to mensis, wherein the blood loss continually brings down the ferritin levels. Thats why women usually have to take iron as they get older, and men have to avoid iron supplements.

But talk with your LLMD...

Posts: 514 | From . | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kitkat32
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9682

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kitkat32     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am not sure if there is correlation between tick borne diseases and low ferritin.

Just thought I would add that my level came back low this week. My ferritin is 4 and my total iron was 19.

I had start to take slow release iron tablets daily.

Is your daughter supplementing?

kit

Posts: 655 | From Pennsylvania | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
njlymemom
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15088

Yes, she does take supplements.

I just feel as though I am overlooking something.

I did a search for Babesiosis herxing, and none of the experiences posted sound like what she is going through.

We will have to make a decision soon whether to continue the mepron or not.

Thank you all for your help.

--------------------

cb

Lauralyme
Member # 15021

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lauralyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have very low ferritin. I have Babs and Bart. I treated with mepron for four months and am now treating bart.

I don't know if there is a correlation of low iron with co infections. Two months ago my liver enzymes were elevated so perhaps that would go along with the theory posted above.

I had just assumed it was a cause and effect of systems getting run down, but maybe you are on to something...

--------------------
Fall down seven times, get up eight
~Japanese proverb

Posts: 1146 | From west coast | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scared08
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14695

Icon 1 posted      Profile for scared08     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes Babs can cause the ferritin to be low, but it is called a certain type of Anemia and I can't remember what--sorry!

What are her levels????

Mine have been as low as 6. My Dr. finally sent me to a Hemotologist and he still can't explain why after treating me for more than 2 years.

I have to have iron I.V. every few months. A hemotologist wants it at 100, where as a reg. M.D. is happy with it being 20!!!

Even with the I.V. iron once a week for 8 weeks at a time, it will only come up to about 60. Then within 2 mths it is back down to about 7.

This is about your daughter, but I just wanted to share my experience and to let you know that it can be a serious problem and cause a lot of problems!!!

Please post her levels or PM me.

Thanks, I pray she gets better bless her heart

Posts: 351 | From Georgia | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jane2904
Member # 15917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jane2904     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,
Hope your daughter feels better soon. My daughters Ferritin and Iron saturation are low.

Her doctor is treating her for babesia, She was clinically diagnosed.

One of the side effects from Mepron is a cough and you mentioned your daughter has a cough.
Best of luck

Posts: 1357 | From Massachusetts | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
njlymemom
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15088

Hi scared, thank you for sharing your experience. The last time we checked her feretin was 9, still low but not that out of range. Maybe I am grabbing at straws here.

Hi Jane, I was not aware of this side affect from Mepron. The cough sounds deep, but not croup like (not barking). She is also very tired and I think that that is also a side affect from the Mepron. What does you daughters cough sound like? Did she get the cough right away after starting this med, or did it take a few months?

Thank you all.

--------------------

cb

tickssuck
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15388

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tickssuck     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi NJLM,

I have Lyme and ALL co's. Initially my ferratin was at 3. My LLMD attributes my low ferratin to babs; she says babs basically eats up the iron from the red blood cells. I have been on iron supps for 7 months now and my iron and ferratin are both slowly coming up.

My LLMD says adding the iron is necessary when it is so low; but, she continually watches it as she says she doesn't want to overdo it and "feed" the babs too much. Just to tell you...this is my experience. Hope she starts feeling better soon! TS

Posts: 566 | From West Coast | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymeorsomething
Member # 16359

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymeorsomething     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And low ferritin can cause fatigue issues at times even without anemia studies suggest....

Also thyroid issues, particularly hypothyroidism, can contribute to low ferritin values...

--------------------
"Whatever can go wrong will go wrong."

Posts: 2062 | From CT | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hcconn22
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5263

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hcconn22   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes my wife has low ferritin/iron about a 7 and now 12. We went for every test under the sun to try to find a source besides Lyme.

Colonespy, endosocy, to test for celian and internal bleeding....

In the end-- all negitive.

So we were left with her low iron is due to Lyme, babesia or bart. She takes feritin suplements, but her levels have still been low.

It also looked like there were a large popluation of women with Lyme and low iron.

--------------------
Positive 10 bands WB IGG & IGM
+ Babesia + Bartonolla and NOW RMSF 3/5/09 all at Quest

And still positive ELISA and WB two years after IV treatment
http://www.lymefriends.org/profile/blake

Posts: 607 | From Tick Town, Connecticut | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
njlymemom
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15088

Thank you for your responses.

I have a few questions for the llmd visit next week.

Someone mentioned thyroid problems. Many family members having thyroid issues, may be something to check into.

Thanks again.

--------------------

cb

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement