LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Article, college student with 'rare' disease (Lyme) in Ohio

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Article, college student with 'rare' disease (Lyme) in Ohio
Ocean
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 3496

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My mom brought this article over to me last night. I had to roll my eyes with the 'rare' disease thing the reporter was saying.

I find it very odd that while PA is apparently epidemic, and then there are cases in IN, but for some reason, the ticks just skip over Ohio [Roll Eyes]

Doctors here are terrible about looking for Lyme. This town in the article is about an hour from where I grew up. Until people stop calling it 'rare' no one is going to think about the possibility of having Lyme. I know LOTS of people with MS here, including my husband's aunt.

http://norwalkreflector.com/articles/2008/11/19/front/iq_651384.txt

--------------------
http://www.healingfromlymedisease.blogspot.com/

Sick since 1996...Diagnosed 10/2008

IgM:23-25 IND, 31+++, 39 IND, 41 +++
IgG: 31 IND, 41++, 58+

Posts: 1623 | From Ohio | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 13 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ocean, here's my reply and most of it taken from my reply to UK terrible post on lyme!!!

Chronic lyme disease is NOT RARE! It's in all 50 states!!

See this link where you can see how many met CDC's definition from 1980 to present!

1980 - Jan. 2008 ...all 50 states broken down by years!

http://www.lyme.org/resources/1980-cumulative.htm

I'm from Iowa; bitten 39 years ago this Christmas.

Tick came off my folk's LIVE CHRISTMAS tree! I used my daily journal to track this down.

Never saw it nor did I have a bulls-eye rash!

My roommates and I didn't have pets; it was sub-zero Iowa winter; and I wasn't outside gardening!

My first diagnosis was mono/epstein barr virus; then came the endless other names/symptoms!

For 34.5 years, I was MISDIAGNOSED by 40 - 50 drs. in Iowa.

We do NOT have full-time LYME LITERATE MDS, LLMDS, in our state.

Other states have FULL-TIME LLMDS!

IOWA was no. 15 out of 50 states in the amount REPORTED to Center for Disease Control meeting THEIR standards.

Ticks do NOT have to be embedded long at all.

Yes, USA has produced a wonderfully, informative, and accurate DVD lyme documentary, UNDER OUR SKIN, and can be found at:

www.underourskin.org

There are many folks who lost their jobs, health insurance, spouses/children, homes, and/or bankruptcy.

My good health insurance will NOT pay anything towards my lyme disease expenses and treatments!

We chronic lyme patients are discriminated against! Aids/cancer folks are trated better than us in USA.

USA is tackling the MALERIA outbreaks around the world but will NOT put money on our own lyme co-infection, bartonella, or is it babsiosa?

NEURO LYME does this to me all the time! uffda

Congress needs to stop stalling on our Lyme disease bill, which has been in congress for 11 years and NOT even been placed on AGENDA to be discussed.

Presently NJ's Rep. Frank Pallone, chair of that subcommittee, has been sitting on due to IDSA, Infectous Disease Society, lobbying efforts and $$ given to their campaigns!

Our precious dollars are spent on our LYME appts., treatments, and expensive medicines NOT paid by our health insurance companies! HOG WASH !! [toilet] [tsk] [puke]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocean
Member # 3496

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
BettyG,
Love it! I can't believe you got Lyme from a Christmas tree, I can see how it could happen. What a rotten Christmas gift! I too never saw a tick, never saw a bullseye. I wish I had, I may have gotten diagnosed sooner. It is pretty disgusting that insurance companies won't pay for Lyme treatment, hopefully something will change due to 'Under Our Skin'.

Anyhow, thanks Betty and take care,
Ocean

--------------------

Posts: 1623 | From Ohio | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 9 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yes in last 1-2 years, a young couple in their 20s signed up with 2 toddlers; all were bitten by ticks OFF LIVE XMAS TREE!!

you are welcome for my letter! educate as we can.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ocean, if you can think of any more ways you could get the word out, be our guest. Since you are in the area...
Posts: 13116 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
richedie
Member # 14689

Icon 1 posted      Profile for richedie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought most here were avoiding fruit for fear of feeding Candida? Or, are they afraid of feeding the Lyme Beasties?

Either way, I think completely cutting out fruit is a bad idea.

I also think doing a combination of juicing and whole veggies could work but I still feel, eating fruit and veggies in their natural state, which involves chewing is always best. It's not like we had juicers thousands of years ago.

--------------------
Mepron/Zith/Ceftin
Doxy/Biaxin/Flagyl pulse.
Artemisinin with Doxy/Biaxin.
Period of Levaquin and Ceftin.
Then Levaquin, Bactrim and Biaxin.
Bactrim/Augmentin/Rifampin.
Mepron/Biaxin/Artemisinin/Cat's Claw
Rifampin/Bactrim/Alinia
Plaquenil/Biaxin

Posts: 1949 | From Pennsylvania | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocean
Member # 3496

Hi Robin,
I told my husband that I am going to contact our paper (I live in a town of 54,000, so the paper is a 'main one' for the area, lots of little towns around who get our paper) in the spring when it's 'tick season'. I doubt the newspaper would be receptive now.

I'm definitely going to try to educate. My neighbor told me that her daughter in law has fibromialgia. She said that she gets really tired and they all go over to clean her house while she lays in bed. AHH!!! I told her that MANY fibro patients actually have Lyme. I want to get some info regarding this to have my neighbor give to her.

I may try to contact a news station in Columbus or Cleveland as we are pretty close to both, who knows maybe they'll do an article, that would really help.

Any other ideas???

Take care,
Ocean

--------------------

xrx250
Member # 16997

Icon 1 posted      Profile for xrx250     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, Ocean! That's really inspiring. My colleague Carol wishes that Oprah would do a segment to raise national awareness.

In a recent conversation with my Vet about lyme disease, she was aware of the growing number of cases in Franklin County, and agreed that it may be the beginning of a much bigger problem.

Nonlymies like me need to hear your stories of struggle to not only aid in prevention, but also to become advocates for proper medical treatment.

I hope you were careful with that Christmas tree this year! Can you believe Betty G's story? That's a story for your local paper, too.

--------------------
My colleague is being treated for lyme. I'm here for her.

Posts: 7 | From Columbus, OH | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement