LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Got my Igenex results today

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Got my Igenex results today
lmz1100
Member # 15487

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lmz1100     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi! I am a little confused about my Igenex WB results and was wondering if anyone here was good at reading the lab work.

I did review with my LLMD today, and he considers me positive with these results plus his clinical diagnosis.

He did mention other doctors may consider me to be negative since IGM was labaled negative?

That's where I am confused. Here are my results.

IGM Igenex Positive
CDC/NYS Positive

18 ++
22 -
23-25 ++
28 -
30 -
31 ++
34 +
39 IND
41 ++
45 -
58 +
66 -
73 -
83 - 93 ++

IGG Igenex Negative
CDC/NYS Negative

18 -
22 -
23-25 -
28 +
30 -
31 IND
34 -
39 IND
41 ++
45 -
58 ++
66 -
73 -
83-93 -

My LLMD explained the difference between IGGM and IGG but I admit it, I didn't really get it. How can you test positive for one but not another?

Also, I don't quite get the "IND". I poked around old posts for other peoples Igenex results and Dr. C's explanation and it looks like this is pretty clear to me, I have Lyme.

I had a bulls eye rash in Sept 2006. Tested a month later and it came back they said "low positive" and put me on two weeks of Doxy.

Now I come to find out it should have been way longer and I've got all kinds of stuff going on, mostly neuro.

Anything anyone can offer, I truly appreciate.

Posts: 30 | From Tampa | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
adamm
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Any CDC positive (IgM OR IgG) is basically the Lyme equivalent of winning the lottery.You have it without a doubt, and the doctors who told you you don't are acting out of ignorance or under duress. There are some very powerful people who don't
want the existence of the Lyme epidemic acknowledged.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymeorsomething
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 16359

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymeorsomething     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
lmz1100, your IGM is positive unless you reversed your numbers there. And the 83 is related to the bacteria's DNA I believe so that's a good indicator.

Also my LLMD says that the 31 and 34 are good indicators of chronic lyme...

--------------------
"Whatever can go wrong will go wrong."

Posts: 2062 | From CT | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gemofnj
Member # 15551

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gemofnj     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
IMz,

Your tests are positive and you have lyme.

IGG is basically represents a past infection, IGM represents a CURRENT infection.

When you got tested in 2006, you may have been tested too soon before your body had time to produce enough antibodies, thereby producing a negative result.

I am sorry, but it seems you were under treated in 2006 and the lyme has progressed.

Glad you have a good LLMD and you are about to begin treatment.

Good luck and keep us posted. [Smile]

Posts: 1127 | From atlantic city, nj | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CD57
Member # 11749

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CD57     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
congratulations! you have a screamin' positive case of Lyme!
Posts: 3528 | From US | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geneal
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 10375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geneal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Remember that Igenex includes bands that other labs don't.

So to be CDC positive (for epidemiological reporting),

For IgM you need 2 out of 3 bands: 23-25, 39 and/or 41.

To be IgG positive (CDC) you need 5 out of 10 bands.

However, you have bands on your Western Blot that are specific to Lyme.

I think what your doctor was telling you is that anybody else who

Did not know what bands are Lyme specific,

May look at your Western Blot and say "It's negative).

Negative only by reporting definitions set up by the CDC.

Does this make sense?

Go to the top in Medical.

Look at Dr. C's Western Blot explanation.

I think it will make more sense.

Hugs,

Geneal

Posts: 6250 | From Louisiana | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lmz1100
Member # 15487

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lmz1100     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love each and every one of you lymies! So glad I came here for support. Keep it coming, I really don't have anyone to bounce this off of except my husband.

Seriously the "screaming case of Lyme" gave me the shivers and made me really feel I have discovered whats making me feel so bad, and crazy!

I know I ain't no crazy!

Off to bed, tomorrow is a new day. Day one. [Wink]

Posts: 30 | From Tampa | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5829

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Tampa!

You sure got it.. but tell us... how did you get Lyme where you are?

Don't you know there is NO Lyme in Florida?

HA!

[lol]

No one wants Mickey Mouse to have Lyme disease.. it's bad for tourism... so PLEASE don't tell anyone you have it!

ho ho ho

Also.. did you know there is/was a support group in your area? They are a fibromyalgia/chronic fatigue group too. But Lyme is discussed from what I was told.

Hope your day one is at least memorable in the fact you now know what you have so you can deal with it. That was a monumental day for me.

Cause like you.. I thought I must be just plain old crazy!

Good to know we ain't REALLY nuts...huh? Not totally anyhow.

Good luck to you and let's hope you have a mild row to hoe. Prayers are being sent your way.

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 10 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LYMETOO'S DR. C'S EXPLANATION OF WESTERN BLOT TESTING!

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=042077

PRINT THIS OFF the full explanation, and then CIRCLE the numbers that coincide with your positives, IND! That will explain your no. results!
----------------------------------------

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FunkOdyssey
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15855

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FunkOdyssey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
IgM indicates a current infection. IgG CAN indicate a past infection and can also indicate an active infection.

Basically, IgM antibodies are crude and hastily produced antibodies that the immune system puts together in the short-term to fight an active infection. IgG antibodies are smaller (better access to tissues), more efficient and more effective antibodies that the immune system produces as a long-term response to a particular pathogen. I like to think of them as shotguns vs. sniper rifles. IgG antibodies can be maintained in the body for many years, and that is why they usually indicate past infection. However, their presence does not necessarily mean the infection is not still active.

Apparently, IgM positive and IgG negative is a very common presentation for chronic Lyme patients. The lack of a strong IgG response is a result of damage to or suppression of the immune system by Lyme. The presence of IgG antibodies seems to correlate with a brief, easily won bout with Lyme, and their absence with the long bumpy road so many of us are traveling.

Posts: 195 | From Manchester, CT | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gemofnj
Member # 15551

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gemofnj     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Funky,

Knowing that IGG is past, and IGM is current (usually) ...

What would it mean if you had a positive IGG but not IGM.

This person has no lyme symptoms except for pain in his shin bone and top of ankle joint.

His duck says he doesnt have lyme especially because he is not presenting normal symptoms.

Any ideas?

Posts: 1127 | From atlantic city, nj | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FunkOdyssey
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15855

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FunkOdyssey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He might have a long-standing, relatively dormant / suppressed Lyme infection. Or, perhaps he really did used to have it and its 100% eradicated. Or, maybe its active and IgM antibodies are not being made for whatever reason. This seems unlikely without additional lyme symptoms.

There is no way to know for certain, but in my opinion I feel like the first option is most likely. Its nearly impossible to eradicate the organism without antibiotics but some people's immune systems are capable of keeping it in remission indefinitely.

You might ask for an empiric trial of antibiotics to see what happens.

Posts: 195 | From Manchester, CT | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lmz1100
Member # 15487

Ok, so I admit it - I've been online wayyyy too much than I should have been for the past 2 days.

So now I have myself that I will probably go blind, lose senses, maybe die from Alzheimers...the list goes on.

Its just everything I read points to the fact there is no cure end all. just take some meds, feel better, stop meds, relapse. Correct me if I am wrong because God knows I hope I am.

My LLMD put me on Suprax and I only started it yesterday but it made me symptoms feel 10X worse. Oddly enough, my husband and I are taking our 5 & 3 year olds to Disney World this weekend.

I need to be feeling good for the weekend. Suprax = feeling awful. Doxy = feeling fine. I am going with Doxy for the weekend just to get through the weekend before I can make an appt and talk to the LLMD about choices.

I guess I am just feeling depressed. I was happy to be diagnosed, but this is certainly not winning any lottery I ever heard about. I wonder (and pray, since my kids are so little) that I will be back to who I was by this time next year. Praying people, can you please send one my way?

Don't ask what that rambling was about, I am just scared and feeling alome in it. I think some will understand.

Off to bed, hopefully to sleep. XO

LMZ

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement