LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Need dr and general advice; in dire financial situation

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Need dr and general advice; in dire financial situation
MissMari
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11274

Icon 9 posted      Profile for MissMari     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Everyone,

This is not a new story for me --- I've posted here a few times and I know what I need to do:

I need a LLMD (a neuropsych doc even better since most of my symptoms are those); have obtained a list of those.

I have an idea of what I'm in for regarding testing and treatment.

At this point I'm willing and would be grateful for ANYTHING (just for a doc to say they believe me would be enough!).

My problem is that I have no medical insurance, unemployment checks that even now do not cover my monthly expenses, and no one else to go to for help.

I have had this disease for at least 13 years that I can recall; tick bite, rash (with photos!), other rashes since then; in 2000 one Lyme Ab IgM positive test, a few weeks of doxy and then no more treatment (though I was then told I didn't have Lyme).

Have received 14 other diagnoses --- all with NEGATIVE test results --- and even been treated for some of them with obviously no help.

I have over 50 other symptoms that I can check off from any Lyme symptom list.

But now to the question part..... and I hope this doesn't sound too stupid; only asking because I'm embarrassed about my financial situation ----

In anyone's experience, with no money and being a new patient, does anyone think I have a real shot at seeing any of these LLMDs?

Like I said, hopefully not too stupid a question.

I have been thru so many drs that have hurt me, ignored me, misdiagnosed me, etc that I'm actually afraid! Isn't that pathetic?

I would be willing to do whatever it takes.

Maybe a letter explaining my history and my situation might help?

I have tried to put this off as much as I could, but I can't any longer now ---- I have new symptoms.

This past Saturday I had a horrible headache, stiff neck, my left eye had broken blood vessels and my vision has been blurred in it since.

My ribs are now painful as well. Another new symptom.

Anyway, I'd appreciate any advice.

--------------------
The Bite: July 1995
Next 13 years: Treated for things I didn't have
Symptom total: 45
1 faint Lyme IgM May 2000
5 More negative tests
IGeneX says YES! 3/16/09
Finally feel human: 2012

Posts: 120 | From Plainsboro NJ | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
joalo
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 12752

Icon 1 posted      Profile for joalo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ideas anyone??? [confused]

--------------------
Sick since January 1985. Misdiagnosed for 20 years. Tested CDC positive October 2005. Treating since April 2006.

Posts: 3228 | From Somewhere west of the Mississippi | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i wish i knew how to help -- social services, church groups, etc.

apparently you can't travel so that's out.

how about just going herbal, like samento, or something? it would be better than no treatment at all.

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
glm1111
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 16556

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glm1111     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry, you are having such a difficult time. If you are pretty sure you have Lyme disease have you thought about using some inexpensive alternative tx?

A lot of people here treat themselves because they can't afford doctor visits. Why don't you start doing a search on here for some help.

That's the only thing I can think of for you to do.,

I hope and pray you find some help,

Gael

--------------------
PARASITES/WORMS ARE NOW
RECOGNIZED AS THE NUMBER 1 CO-INFECTION IN LYME DISEASE BY ILADS*

Posts: 6418 | From philadelphia pa | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seibertneurolyme
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 6416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seibertneurolyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Number one thing is to try to protect your eyesight. Since this is a new onset symptom -- what I would do if it was me is go to an eye doc and beg and plead for a quick eye exam. You want to make sure you do not have some serious eye issue like optic neuritis or something that could cause loss of vision.

I think most eye docs would be agreeable to at least looking at your eyes and then billing you or maybe even doing a quick exam for free.

You would most likely qualify for free meds based on your lack of income and lack of insurance. SO ... the issue comes down to finding a doc. Personally I think that will be the biggest obstacle.

Until you find a doc if at all possible I would buy the Healing Lyme book by Buhner and then try to start the core protocol using bulk herbs. I would just start with sarsaparilla, cat's claw, resveratrol and andrographis. Start much slower than the book.

Suggest just 1 capsule once per day and go from there as tolerated. Start with one herb and then add the others one at a time. The reason I would suggest this herbal protocol rather than Zhang or Cowden or one of the others is that it is much much cheaper and also seems easier to follow.

Later you can add in astragalus and maybe something like monolaurin or Spiro Kete by Kroeger herbs. This would be for immune support and possible viral issues.

And of course while you are searching -- start trying to improve your diet. Restrict sugar to improve immune function and increase the good fats to help with inflammation. And add in lots of garlic and turmeric.

As for bloodwork, this would be an additional expense if you end up on antibiotics. I do not have insurance myself but I do not have Lyme or other tickborne diseases either. I pay a $75 annual membership to Life Extension and get their lab tests done through LabCorp 1 or 2 times a year.

Hubby who has insurance has even done their testing from time to time as the costs are actually more reasonable for the panel than through his insurance.

Most of the regular LLMD's are so overbooked I think you would have a very difficult time finding one who would accept you unless you can pay for the office visit. Some require much more frequent visits than others. Also some do much much more testing than others.

If you were willing to see an herbalist or chiropractor or someone besides an M.D. the office visit costs would be much less. The treatment might not be as agressive, but I am not really convinced that everyone does well with agressive treatment.

You have to start somewhere and if you were not improving in say 6 months then you could rethink your doc.

Of course I have no way of knowing how debilitated you are, but I really feel that sometimes the sicker someone is the slower their treatment needs to be.

I will come back and add a couple of links that may be helpful.

Good luck.

Bea Seibert

Definitely need to read the thread below.

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=073069

Posts: 7306 | From Martinsville,VA,USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wimenin
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15294

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wimenin         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Your situation sounds bad, but there is always hope if you can sit down and mathematically figure things out...

Some questions: You can do this on your own..not in public here on the forum..
(1) Do you work, if so, whats your income?
(2) Can you work a 2nd job for more income?
(3) What are your expenses?
(4) Of your expenses, where can you cut things (cable, going out to eat, subscriptions, etc.)
(5) When subtracting your bare minimum expenses from your income, do you have disposable income?
(6) How much is your LLMD apptmts?
(7) Do you have enough disposable income to cover your LLMD appts?
(8) Do you have medical insurance? If so, is it standard HMO or POP (go to whatever dr you want)?
(9) If you have no income, no insurance, do you have liquidable assets you can sell to generate income for your apptmts?
(10) Do you have real estate whereby you can refinance to a longer period, in order to lower your monthly mortgage payment?
(11) Is your credit good enough for you to get a loan for medical apptmts?
(12) If you have real estate, is it possible to sell your house, downsize to something smaller for less money, and use the proceeds for apptmts?
(13) Do you have any friends or relatives you can borrow money from (make it legal contract), in order to cover your appt costs?
(14) Do you have any relatives you can live with in order to share/cut your costs?

As you can see...a lengthy list of thoughts and questions that you need to answer in order to determine the proper course in fixing your financial situation.

The best place to start is with the list, as it makes it much easier to figure out what is really going on financially. Dont be afraid to talk to a loan office or someone in the financial community to discuss your options.

Good luck...!!

Posts: 514 | From . | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MY3BOYS
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17830

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MY3BOYS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
have you tried to apply for medicaid? or community health program in your area?

would be a place to start.

--------------------
i am not a Dr. any info is only for education, suggestion or to think/research. please do not mis-intuprest as diagnostic or prescriptive, only trying to help. **

dx in 08:lyme, rmsf, bart, babs, and m.pneumonia.

Posts: 422 | From TX | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement