LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » foods and diets

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: foods and diets
Wimenin
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15294

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wimenin         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I posted a question on yogurt a little while ago (thanks for the replies and info..)

My question now is a little more direct, yet ambiguous for me.

What foods can I eat while being treated for lyme, given I get IBS easily, some migraines and some free floating anxiety as well?

I know that sugars are out, as are processed foods, caffeine, MSG, and high carbos (because of anxiety).

What does that leave me?

Usually Id say eat fruits and vegetables, but, the sugars in fruit and fruit juices aren't good, and the high fiber ruffage from the fruit and veggies can really irritate IBs for me (my worst are nuts, tomatoes, salads, chocolate, fast foods, and msg foods).

Breads contain yeast...thats a no no.

My LLMD said to avoid dairy...

I cant just eat cooked lean meats all day long...and drink water for liquids. Lately Ive been eating mostly from the BRAT diet (bananas, rice, applesauce, toast), but I know that rice is high carbos, and bananas have sugar as well. Potatos=again, high carbos.

Anyone have some good advice for a lyme diet that wont make me nauseous, enflame a migraine, or spark anxiety?

I literally feel as though I cant eat 90% of the foods that are out there.

Posts: 514 | From . | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AZURE WISH
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 804

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AZURE WISH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i eat brown rice instead of white. brown is lower in carbs.

I eat white poatoes but not sweet potatoes.

Would plain shredded wheat cereal have to much fiber for you? Whole grains like that have less carbs then the more porcessed stuff. Of course if you have a gluten intolerance or celiac then this wont help.

I also eat corn chips (plain ones like just corn products and oil) my stomach can only tolerate so many of these though.

There is also brown rice hot cereal you could buy at a health food store...

they also make brown rice or corn noodles (i think the brown rice noodles are awesome [Smile] ) vitacost even sells the noodles.

I have a ton of stomach problems so i have had to eat what i can eat trying to stick to all the diets i need to as much as possible.

I think you will just have to try to find a diet that works for all your problems. Believe me I know this can be a difficult thing.

Best wishes

--------------------
multiple chemical sensitvity group:
http://www.lymefriends.com/group/multiplechemicalsensitivities

Group for artists. All media welcome:
http://www.lymefriends.com/group/creativecorner

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Lyme_Artist

Posts: 3860 | From nj,usa | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-

A gluten-free diet has helped tremendously to help lessen fibro pain and brain fog - as well as gut issues.

Diet for lyme patients is discussed in the book below:

This book, by an ILADS member LLMD, holds great information about treatments options and support measures:

http://tinyurl.com/6lq3pb (through Amazon)

THE LYME DISEASE SOLUTION (2008)

- by Kenneth B. Singleton , MD; James A. Duke. Ph.D. (Foreword)

You can read more about it here and see customer reviews.

Web site: www.lymedoctor.com

==========

Other good books are:

A Spoonful of Ginger

and

The Cure is in the Kitchen

Same author; both books at Amazon for more details and customer reviews.

-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-

The Red Quinoa requires no rinsing, so is easier and always comes out perfectly. Great to add to soups, too.

--------

www.nytimes.com/2008/11/03/health/nutrition/03recipehealth.html?em

From The New York Times
November 3, 2008
Photos at link

QUINOA: A Protein-Packed Alternative to Grains -- By MARTHA ROSE SHULMAN

Quinoa (pronounced KEEN-wah) is a relative newcomer to the American pantry. The tiny, ancient Peruvian seed, which has a mild, nutty flavor, is related to leafy green vegetables and is often used like a grain.

Quinoa is as versatile as rice but it has a protein content that is superior to that of most grains, because it contains all the essential amino acids. In particular, quinoa is high in lysine, an amino acid important for tissue growth and repair.

It's also a good source of manganese, magnesium, phosphorus and copper, and it has a high iron content.

Quinoa is very easy to cook. It's important to rinse the seeds well, because they are naturally coated with a bitter substance that protects them against birds and other predators. Most packaged quinoa has already been cleaned, but it doesn't hurt to soak and rinse it just in case.

Quinoa cooks in 15 minutes, and it's easy to tell when it's done because the seeds display a little white thread that curls around them.

Basic Steamed Quinoa

Many recipes for quinoa suggest cooking it like rice, in two parts water for one part quinoa. This works, but I find the grains are fluffier if I cook them in three parts water and drain the excess water once the quinoa is tender.

The tiny seeds swell to about four times their original size, so 1 cup uncooked quinoa yields about 4 cups, enough for 6 to 8 servings.

1 cup quinoa [Regular, white needs rinsing. Red will not but read to be sure.]

3 cups water, chicken stock or vegetable stock
1/2 teaspoon salt (more to taste)

1. [If white Quinoa] Place the quinoa in a bowl and cover with cold water. Let sit 5 minutes. Drain through a [VERY, VERY fine mesh] strainer and rinse until the water runs clear.

2. Bring the water or stock to a boil in a medium saucepan. Add the salt and the quinoa. Bring back to a boil, reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer 15 minutes, or until the quinoa is tender and translucent, and each grain displays a little thread.

Drain and return to the pan. Cover the pan with a clean dish towel, replace the lid and allow to sit undisturbed for 10 minutes. Fluff and serve.

Yield: about 4 cups, serving 6 to 8

Advance preparation: Cooked quinoa will keep for three or four days in the refrigerator and can be reheated in a microwave or in the oven.

============

www.quinoa.net

Ancient Harvest� Supergrain Products.

Traditional Quinoa Grain

Inca Red Quinoa Grain

Quinoa Flakes (great for a quick snack or travel)

Quinoa Flour Corn/Quinoa Pastas ...

-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dawnee
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Drinking 4 oz Kefir am, and another 4oz Kefir pm has eliminated my IBS symptoms.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
luvs2ride
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 8090

Icon 1 posted      Profile for luvs2ride     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wimenin

I'm really sorry you are having to be so restricted in your diet. I know IBS has to be careful about sharp food like seeds, etc.

I've wondered if you could puree your food? Would that help? Then you could eat the nutrition you need to heal your gut. L-glutamine is really good for leaky gut. Would it also help IBS?

Most yogurt (that tastes good) has too much sugar and dyes in it and the milk proteins are hard on the gut.

Vegetables like brocolli, brussel sprouts, cauliflower have the nutrients we need and I just wonder if blending them would make them palatable for your IBS?

I know you need the nutrients to heal and low sugar fruits like strawberries, blueberries, cherries as well as nuts and seeds and vegetables are very nutritious.

Now, to confuse the issue, some people do better on meat, but if you can't eat just meat, you probably are not one of those types. Bloodtype A should be mostly vegetarian and I think Bloodtype O should eat meat. I'm A so I only know for sure about A.

Jordan Rubin is the author of The Maker's Diet. He had serious croan's disease and healed it eating meats and veggies. He followed biblical eating with no pork or shellfish.

My best advice would be to find a doctor trained in nutrition to help you determine your best diet. www.acam.org or www.functionalmedicine.org Both of these organizations have a "Find a Physician" feature.

I had really good "significant" improvement on changing my diet. I hope you will too.

--------------------
When the Power of Love overcomes the Love of Power, there will be Peace.

Posts: 3038 | From america | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement