LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Saliva Ph Question

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Saliva Ph Question
seekhelp
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 15067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seekhelp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw my holistic doc this Monday. He recommended I take 3 tsp per day of a mixture of 3:1 parts maple syrup / baking soda to alkanize my body Ph more. I tested with a strip first thing in the morning and it was 6.6. He said 7.4 is ideal. He said organisms don't like to live in non-acidic environments.

Is there any merit to this exercise? I took 1 tsp today. For some reason, my throat has been hurting a lot like it's sore. It didn't bother me at all before. I don't know if I'm getting thrush or the area is just sore or if the syrup/baking soda mix bothered me. I have a hard time seeing with a flashlight.

I recall no issues when my urine Ph levels were tested many, many times in the hospital. Is this another hokey holistic idea? [Smile]

Posts: 7545 | From The 5th Dimension - The Twilight Zone | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seekhelp
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 15067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seekhelp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
/\ Any help, anyone?
Posts: 7545 | From The 5th Dimension - The Twilight Zone | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JKMMC09
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15795

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JKMMC09     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by seekhelp:

I recall no issues when my urine Ph levels were tested many, many times in the hospital. Is this another hokey holistic idea? [Smile]

Sorry, I've never heard of this, but if your urine Ph levels were okay in the hospital, than I suppose it could be one of those 'hokey' "alternative" things [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 371 | From CT | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
massman
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
IME hospital take on pH is useless.

Like the acid reflux surge. After age 40 most people do not produce enough acid.

Too simple for lots of mainstream medicine.
And the Tums ? Lots of calcium but calcium can only be absorbed in an acid environment. and Tums is an antacid.

What is hokey to me is throwing drugs at situations that docs do not understand. Such basic chemistry confuses many of them.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zil
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 12048

Icon 1 posted      Profile for zil     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My LLMD checks my saliva PH with every office visit(every 4 mos) He has me take baking soda or you can buy tri-salts to help alkaline your system. Haven't heard of the syrup. Do a search. I bought PH paper and ordered tri-salts which is basically baking soda in a capsule form.
Posts: 383 | From Ar | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
22dreams
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17846

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 22dreams     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A simpler way to alkalize your body is to take Alka Seltzer Gold. That's what my Lyme doc recommended for me. One tablet in water in the morning and one before going to bed.

It's not hokey at all. Most of our bodies are very acidic because of the typical (American) diet as well as stress and for some people over-exercising--which all produce a highly acidic environment in our bodies, which bacteria love!

I have read where people have cured themselves of all kinds of things by avoiding acidifying foods and stress, and switching to a gentler form of exercise, such as mini-trampoline. This helps to get and keep the body on the alkaline side.

Posts: 571 | From Massachusetts | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mojo
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 9309

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mojo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I take the Alkaline thing very seriously and so does my doctor.

I think the correct way to address it is with diet. Eat more fruits and veggies and less acidic foods. I juice vegetables which really helps me out. Drinking lemon water helps, too. Adding PH drops to purified water is another good idea.

Sugar, sugar substitutes, processed foods, sodas, etc. should be limited or avoided entirely. I started the alkaline diet in early 2006 (first learned it at the Fibro and Fatigue Center - one of the only good things I took away from that place) and I feel so much better for it. My pain levels increase if I'm bad with my diet.

To start I think alkalizing "aids" like what your holistic doctor recommended is OK as is Alka Selzter Gold but something tells me that doing that regularly doesn't sound like a good idea.

Alkalizing you body during a herx can really help you, too - that's where the Alka Seltzer Gold comes in handy or a nice Epsom Salt bath.

The trickiest thing about the Alkaline diet is that there are many descrepancies about which foods are alkaline forming and which are acid forming in the body so it can be a "trial and error" thing. I used the PH urine strips first thing in the a.m. and if my urine was consistantly alkaline I knew I was doing a good job. I learned this from several books on the subject.

This is an area I think is well worth pursuing whether healthy or sick.

It's confusing at first, though!

Posts: 1761 | From USA | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement