LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » upper endoscopy for terrible abdominal pain

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: upper endoscopy for terrible abdominal pain
lymeladyinNY
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 10235

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeladyinNY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Once again Christmas is ruined for me. I had my gallbladder out last month but only half of my pain was eliminated.

I continue to have severe stabbing, burning, aching pain and pressure in my upper abdomen. I am assuming it's a hiatal hernia but I'm not sure.

This thing is killing me!!!!

I have an upper endoscopy scheduled for Christmas eve morning.

This is my biggest fear: Either they won't find anything, OR, they will find something but will tell me to "just live with it" or "make lifestyle changes".

I'm on narcotics all the time. I can't function. I can't eat, sleep, or think of anything else.

I hope they will do surgery right away. I'm afraid my stomach is trapped in my diaphragm. I'm afraid my stomach's blood supply is compromised.

I blame this problem on bartonella. About three years ago I had terrible, excruciating diaphragm spasms all the time, along with other muscle spasms. Treatment with levaquin and magnesium solved the problem, but it probably left me with a weak diaphragm.

I just thought I'd share my latest gloom, despair, and agony with my Lyme-mates!

- Lymelady

--------------------
I want to be free

Posts: 1170 | From Endicott, NY | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seibertneurolyme
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 6416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seibertneurolyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lymelady,

So sorry for all you are going through.

Levaquin was one of the best things for hubby's G.I. issues as well. He still has nausea probably at least 40% or 50% of the time.

Still not sure if hubby ever really had Bartonella or not. Don't know if you have read the latest threads about hubby's testing with Clongen labs or not. Since you and he have very similar neuro symptoms it might be worth you having testing done with Clongen.

Hubby had G.I. biopsy specimens sent to MDL in 2006 looking for Bart, Babs and Lyme. All those PCR tests were negative. If he ever needs another endoscopoy (has had 5 in the last 7 1/2 years) I think I would try sending biopsy samples to Clongen.

Have you had any abdominal x-rays or ultrasound done recently? Hubby thought possibly one of those might show a hernia. Not 100% sure though.

Bea Seibert

Posts: 7306 | From Martinsville,VA,USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
feelfit
Member # 12770

Icon 1 posted      Profile for feelfit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lymelady,

my heart really goes out to you. Man oh man, I wish that I had the magic answer for you....

Will keep you in my thoughts and prayers. I hope that your test shows osmething treatable.

Feelfit

Posts: 3975 | From usa | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sammy
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 13952

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sammy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hugs to you [Smile]

I hope that your procedure goes well, that you will find the answers you need, and are able to have relief from your symptoms.

God bless you Lymelady!

Posts: 5237 | From here | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 5 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
do you have food allergies to GLUTEN/WHEAT and DAIRY PRODUCTS?

one thing i learned after my endoscopies, they can do a biopsy taking skin and check for food allergies to make it OFFICIAL that you have CELIAC DISEASE.

wished i'd known that way back when...

i also have a hiatal hernia.

best wishes on getting answers why you get so sick and in so MUCH PAIN! thoughts and prayers headed your way [Smile] [group hug] [kiss]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 5 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
up for my question to be answered..
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpkayak
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i'm dealing with this pain too. had a full abd catcsan w/ the dye a few weeks ago. that showed the hiatle hernia but so did my last 3 endoscopys.

i know i have reflux and it is tx with prevacid. that is the burning.

they didn't see what they were supposed to see to know where to take the biopsy for celiacs.

so my upper abd pain is still unexplained or ibs or as nd would say leaky gut.

i feel nodules where and enlarged spleen would be -under left ribs-and that is my worse pain but they insist all normal except cyst on my remainng ovary-which couldn't cause the upper pain-but probably means i need to take out the ovary

anyway-good luck...you can probably have egg nog after!?! try to stay positive and make the best of christmas

i will be following this thread cuz i don't have ansers yet either-

--------------------
Lyme? Its complicated. Educate yourself.

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymielauren28
Member # 13742

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymielauren28     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm so sorry for all you're going through. I have pain in my upper left stomach as well, and it's constant...Twice in the three years I've had it it's flared so bad that it was unbearable.

I've made my rounds with the G.I. docs and all the tests but everything always comes back normal. I hope in your case they figure it out.

Lauren

--------------------
"The only way out is through"

Posts: 1434 | From mississippi | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeladyinNY
Member # 10235

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeladyinNY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi all, thanks for your kind words and well wishes.

I'm still suffering enormously and can't wait until the endoscopy. I've tried three times to get the GI office to give a d*** about this situation. Three times no one gave a rat's.

I called earlier today and told them I scream in agony when the narcotics wear down. They said they'd call me back. Well, they just called and the nurse told me, "Everyone's gone home for the day. The nurse practitioner is interested in your case but she has gone home, too."

WHAT???? She cared so much she went home??? [Mad]

As a professional patient, I pretty much already know what's going on with me. I think it's a large hiatal hernia that needs surgical intervention. I just hope the blood supply to my stomach isn't being cut off.

In a phone call to the lovely GI office yesterday I was told a trip to the ER would be a "waste of time" because I'd just be referred back to the GI office. I don't want to go to the stinkin' ER anyway, because they know me over there and blow me off whenever they see me coming.

Bea, I've thought about Clongen labs. It's on my New Year's resolution list.

Betty, no, I don't believe I do have allergies to dairy/gluten. I never seem to have a problem digesting them. In fact, I was raised on milk and bread living on a farm, but I know things can change once you get to be an adult.

I hope you, too, get answers kayak and Lauren. Abdominal/chest pain is terrible! And no answers and no relief is even worse.

Bless you all - Lymelady

--------------------
I want to be free

Posts: 1170 | From Endicott, NY | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Peedie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15355

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Peedie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi lymeladyinNY

I'm sorry you are feeling so ill and during the holidays - it is so unfair.

Please ask for your GI doc to biopsy and test for H.Pylori during the Endoscopy. He is already there - easy to do but you have to ask for it.

I found this information which may help:

Definition
Helicobacter pylori (H. pylori ) is a bacteria responsible for most ulcers and many cases of chronic gastritis (inflammation of the stomach).

The bacteria can weaken the protective coating of the stomach and first part of the small intestine (duodenum),

allowing digestive juices to irritate the sensitive lining of these body parts.

Symptoms
If you are a carrier of H. pylori , you may have no symptoms. If you have an ulcer or gastritis, you may have some of the following symptoms:

Abdominal pain
Dyspepsia or indigestion
Bloating and fullness
Mild nausea (may be relieved by vomiting)
Belching and regurgitation
Feeling very hungry 1 to 3 hours after eating

Here are the 10 most common H. pylori symptoms;
H pylori could be contributing to your symptoms
if you are suffering from any of the following;

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Heartburn or Acid Reflux (GERD)
Whether these symptoms occur on a regular, or even infrequent basis, you may well be infected with H. pylori.

2. Diarrhea, Constipation, Flatulence, Bloating.
Because H. pylori interferes with acid in your stomach, you can't digest food properly.

3. Fatigue and Low Energy Levels.
H pylori creates a non-stop stress on your body, making you feel tired.

Added to the possibility that you are not digesting your food properly, your body is not getting the correct nourishment to maintain it's proper energy levels.

4. Nausea & Vomiting.
Many people feel nauseous when with H. pylori infections.

Sometimes this can mistaken for pregnancy morning sickness. In some cases, vomiting does occur.

5. Unplanned Weight and Muscle Loss.
Because H pylori affects acid levels - which affects the digestive process of fats and proteins especially - you may notice that you are losing weight.

The problem is that this weight loss is due to muscle loss, which is a dangerous way to lose weight.

6. Difficulty Losing Weight
This is a surprising symptom opposite to the above. The reason for this is that a hormone called cortisol is produced when your body is stressed.

Cortisol is known to cause either weight loss or weight gain, depending on the person. Cortisol can promote weight gain around the stomach area, and at the same time can also cause muscle loss.

7. Hormonal Symptoms including Mood Swings & PMS
These are usually caused by an over production of Cortisol caused by the stresses of the body trying to deal with infections.

8. Depression and Anxiety
A very important mood chemical (called serotonin) is largely made in a healthy digestive system.

Any damage to your stomach by an H. pylori infection will lead to a shortage of this important chemical.

9. Gum Disease, Bad Breath and other Oral infections

Although the H pylori bacteria lives mostly in the stomach and small intestines, it has also been found in the mouth, and even in dental cavities.

10. Blocked nose, painful sinuses, colds and infections

Most people are unaware that the sinuses are joined to the digestive system, and that any irritation to the digestive system can cause sinus problems.

I hope they find what is making you so sick and can treat it.

Best Wishes & Merry Christmas
-p

[ 28. December 2008, 03:01 AM: Message edited by: Peedie ]

Posts: 641 | From So. CA | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Curiouser
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14128

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Curiouser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It could also be a Sphincter of Oddi problem.

Some folks who've had their gallbladders out continue to have pain because of this issue.

Maybe mention it to the Gastro?

--------------------
If you don't know where you are going, any road will take you there. - Lewis Carroll

Posts: 356 | From Body-PA, Mind-elsewhere | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeladyinNY
Member # 10235

Thank you so much for the suggestions. I will bring up H. pylori and Sphincter of Oddi to the gastroenterologist tomorrow.

I will update when this is over with!

- Lymelady Julie

--------------------
I want to be free

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement