LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Why are steriods so bad for Lymies and what are the consequences?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Why are steriods so bad for Lymies and what are the consequences?
gemofnj
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 15551

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gemofnj     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What if the person has lyme antibodies (Pos IGG) but no symptoms and they are using adavair (inhalent) for a lung inflammation?
Posts: 1127 | From atlantic city, nj | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
klutzo
Member # 5701

Icon 1 posted      Profile for klutzo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't answer your specific question about inhalers, but I am also in a "Catch-22" situation like you are regarding steroids.

Lyme has altered my immunity so much that I am allergic to all stinging insects, fire ants, and even regular ants. I live in a place that is loaded with them.

This sounds paranoid, but they chase me too....they seem to be trying to take me out, like lions will cull the weak zebra from the herd. I've been stung 8 times in the past 3 years, despite following all the proper avoidance procedures.

Steroids suppress your immune system. With Lyme, we already have a supressed TH1 (inate) immune system, and need all the immune power we can get to fight the Lyme, so supressing it further is like throwing a party for the bugs.

I often must get cortisone injected to keep my throat and lungs from closing when I get stung. It always causes a Lyme flare up, and usually gives me thrush as well. In recent years, it has also caused me to go into a three week long Lyme rage after the injection, which is terrifying, esp. for my husband, who has to live with it.

As a result, I now have our local paramedics trained to give me 75 mgs. of Benadryl IV push and rush me to the ER and put me on a heart monitor instead. They will only go along with that as long as my throat and chest are not already starting to close up when they arrive. Lucky for me the firehouse is only 2 blocks from us.

I am not sure there are any alternatives to steroids in inhalers. Hopefully, someone with asthma or other similar problems will come along and help you out on that.

It's a heck of a position to be in, and I really empathize with you and hope your lung condition is temporary.

Good luck,
klutzo

Posts: 1269 | From Clearwater, Florida, USA | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gemofnj
Member # 15551

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gemofnj     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Klutz,

It actually my husband. His IGG is positive and he has NO symptoms.

Recently he had a cold and cough lingered. After an examination, the doctor gave him advair inhaler instead of antibiotics.

Said he didnt have any fluid and his lungs were aggravated, especially going out in the cold makes him cough even though he doesnt have a cold.

Thanks a bunch for all the good information! [Smile]

Posts: 1127 | From atlantic city, nj | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
adamm
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Who's to say the lung inflammation's not from Lyme?
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wonko
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18318

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wonko     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,

Steroids are immuno suppressants. So they knock down the body's natural means of fighting Lyme.

I was put on prednisone, an oral steroid, by my PCP who didn't think that I had Lyme. I had a very good reaction at first. That's because steroids are also powerful anti inflammatory agents. But the relief was short lived, and in the long run, it made me get more sick.

Posts: 455 | From Was in PA, then MD, now in the Midwest | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymephobic
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17556

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymephobic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi gem,

I used to take advair for cough-variant asthma. Advair is a combo of a steroid and something else (I think a bronciodialator...but don't quote me). I would take 2 puffs a day for 2 weeks and was fine until the next attack years later...same protocol.

The way my son's pulmonologist explained inhaled steroids to me was that yes they do have side effects, but are minimal compared to that of oral steroids.

I was concerned because the oral steroids can stunt growth in children so he did explain that the inhaled steroids are going to the lungs and airways first, as opposed to the oral which get absorbed into the body faster in higher concentration.

So if i am remembering his explanation correctly (again this was about 4 years ago so the memory is not so good now) the inhaled steroids were not as strong as the orals.

Hope that makes sense to you...I'm not sure it does to me.

Posts: 193 | From New Jersey | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by gemofnj:
What if the person has lyme antibodies (Pos IGG) but no symptoms and they are using adavair (inhalent) for a lung inflammation?

no symptoms??? Lung inflammation usually involves symptoms....??

I've taken Advair when I had to. I have asthma too. Right now I'm off all inhalers. Thank goodness. I don't take them unless I have symptoms.

A steroid shot could drive the Lyme deeper and take someone out of remission. Inhalers and nasal sprays are another issue and not as bad as long as the person is on abx.

I just read your second response. A short time on them should be fine.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sutherngrl
Member # 16270

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sutherngrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have asthma and use a non steroid inhaler. It is very commonly used for asthma, called albuterol.

It is possible that my symptoms are not really asthma, but Babesia, that is my guess anyway, since I normally only get asthma in the summer months, still my LLMD gave me this inhaler.

Posts: 4035 | From Mississippi | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
merrygirl
Member # 12041

Icon 1 posted      Profile for merrygirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I took prednisone while on abx with lyme and I am not worse.

Just thought I would share.

Posts: 3905 | From USA | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement