LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » mino or other "cyclines": does the nausea ever get better?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: mino or other "cyclines": does the nausea ever get better?
VB
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16824

Icon 1 posted      Profile for VB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ugh... very nauseous and dizzy on 300mg Minocycline/day. Started taking this on Wed.

I haven't really had a problem with any other antibiotic.

Please tell me that this just happens sometimes on new meds and that your system can adjust over a few days/weeks?

Maybe I should have gradually worked up to the 300mg?

Any help is much appreciated. I had high hopes for this medication and am a little bummed that I'm feeling this badly [Frown]

Posts: 453 | From TX | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
luvs2ride
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 8090

Icon 1 posted      Profile for luvs2ride     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can take it with food and that usually stops the nausea. Taking it with food reduces its effectiveness by about 15% but that is precious little in return for receiving no nausea.

--------------------
When the Power of Love overcomes the Love of Power, there will be Peace.

Posts: 3038 | From america | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JKMMC09
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15795

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JKMMC09     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My daughter had this problem with almost every single med. She is on Zofran now, which helps a great deal, maybe your LLMD can give you a script for it?
Posts: 371 | From CT | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vermont_Lymie
Member # 9780

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vermont_Lymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That is a very high dose of mino to start with. Many start with a much lower dose; for example, 50 mg every other day, and work up from there to 200mg/day.
Posts: 2557 | From home | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
onmyway
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17607

Icon 1 posted      Profile for onmyway     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just started Tygacil which is in the cycline family and Zofran is my best frind!!! See if you can get a prescription! The other thing that works well is Emetrol! Best of luck!
Onmyway

Posts: 131 | From Georgia | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bpeck
Member # 3235

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bpeck     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello:
I'm in agreement with Vt Lymie. 300 mg is a high dose (unless you're well over 200 lbs).

If there's too much mino in you system, it can accumulate in the inner ear and give you vertigo and ringing in the ears.. definitely cut it back if you get those symptoms.

Sometimes a few crackers or wheat-thins work for the nausea if you eat it a little before you take the mino.

Barb

Posts: 1875 | From VT | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
viva
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for viva     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Agree with Vermont and bpeck about working up to a higher dose of Mino.

Even starting w/100 mg/day, my husband got the dizziness/nausea. It did back off after about 3 weeks, and now is only intermittent.

Also wanted to agree with JKMM and onmyway about the effectiveness of Zofran as an anti-nausea drug. My husband relied on it during chemo for cancer. It is available as a generic (ondansetron). It comes in a form that dissolves on your tongue, and starts working very quickly.

Viva

Posts: 532 | From southeast US | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
VB
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16824

Icon 1 posted      Profile for VB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you all so much. I may cut back and ramp up slowly, then speak to my Dr. about the Zofran.

I weigh 120 lbs, so I'm hoping that he doesn't have me on too high of a dose for my weight.

He's very agressive with the antibiotics, which I like, and has a pretty high remission rate with his patients so I assume he knows what he's doing, but sometimes I'm concerned that my doses are a little high.

I'm also on Zith, Rifampin, Flagyl, and Bicillin. I can't imagine how any bug could survive all of this!!

Thanks again,
V

Posts: 453 | From TX | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MY3BOYS
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17830

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MY3BOYS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i have to eat,,and i mean a decent amout of food to avoid nausea with doxy.

when it does hit me i use phenergan that i have in a cream form (is called PLO cream) ask the doc for it, just rub it on.

then, if real bad i use zofran as well.

zofran is exprensive and my ins. co. only allows for a limited amount per month.

I have nausea before any abt. tx too though, still have at times before even taking meds.

--------------------
i am not a Dr. any info is only for education, suggestion or to think/research. please do not mis-intuprest as diagnostic or prescriptive, only trying to help. **

dx in 08:lyme, rmsf, bart, babs, and m.pneumonia.

Posts: 422 | From TX | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-

Minocycline can be ototoxic. So can azithromycin.

While some people do okay, many have some serious reactions from Minocycline to the inner/middle ear, known as the vestibular system.

B-6 may help, as may NAC, but it's no guarantee. If you experience any ringing in the ears (tinnitus), any sort of vertigo or other hearing side-effects, this can be a sign of toxicity for you and you should ask your doctor for a replacement.

Again, for reasons that are not clear, not everyone seems to have this problem. Some do great on mino. For those who don't, though, the vestibular effects can be serious.

If B-6, NAC or other liver support measures do not help, ask your doctor for alternative Rx.

==============

http://tinyurl.com/47xrjn

Arzneimittelforschung. 1988 Mar;38(3):396-9.Links

Antivertiginous action of vitamin B 6 on experimental minocycline-induced vertigo in man

=============

The Road Back Foundation at www.roadback.org may be a place to see what helps others. I talked to someone there a while back and they said that the pelleted, time-released MINOCIN was easier for some.

=========

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=065801

Topic: TINNITUS: Ringing Between The Ears; Vestibular, Balance, Hearing with compiled links

-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
treepatrol
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 4117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for treepatrol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes it dose

Drink plenty of water and stay upright dont lie down for at least a 1 hr.

Also remember to take your probiotics at least a 2 to 3 hrs after or before taking the abx.

And if it continuse you may want to do some flagyl or tindamax incase ypou also have h pylori.

--------------------
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
Remember Iam not a Doctor Just someone struggling like you with Tick Borne Diseases.

Newbie Links

Posts: 10564 | From PA Where the Creeks are Red | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ericaf
Member # 10929

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ericaf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got so dizzy on Mino i had to back off and restart slowly and then it was alright.

When i was on Doxy I used to drink a warm herbal tea after I took my dose and the nausea wouldn't come on. When i forgot or couldn't be bothered to make it cause I was too sick the nausea would get really bad.

Posts: 81 | From Italy | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement