LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » SDI, SSI, SSDI, Medi-CAL Medcaid???

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: SDI, SSI, SSDI, Medi-CAL Medcaid???
smiles132002
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7949

Icon 1 posted      Profile for smiles132002     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is so confusing. I am quitting my job. I can't do it any more, too sick.

I am filing for SDI and in California you have to be on SDI for 12 months before you can qualify for SSDI.

Do I want Medi-Cal or Medcaid? Do I have to go down to the social security office for that?

Also I read some where that there is a federal program which would pay for my cobra payments ($800) so I can keep my insurance.

Any idea how this all works?

Please e-mail me at [email protected] if you have a chance.

Thank you,
Lindsay

Posts: 484 | From Burlingame, Ca | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smiles132002
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7949

Icon 1 posted      Profile for smiles132002     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Really no one knows?
Posts: 484 | From Burlingame, Ca | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-

I'm not in California but, as I understand it, MediCAL is Medicaid. It's just the name that California gives to their program. Some states have their own program and it replaces medicaid, by name.

As for your other questions, if you look in the "Newbie" links - one set from TreePatrol, and one from BettyG - at the top of the index for the medical forum, you should find a thread or two with details.

You could also search with the search tab above.

You could ask the leader of your local lyme support group and also call SSA office and your county's office for social services, too. You will need forms sent to you and your doctor will also have to complete a questionnaire (at least for federal SSD).

From the news just of the past day or so, it seems like California is wanting to make some changes to MediCAL, so you might find out when those are proposed to take effect.

You may need to obtain an attorney. If so, you'd want someone who has worked with lyme (or at least CFS) patients. Again, the local lyme support group can help guide you with referrals.

Ask if an advocate is available if you need someone to help you complete forms. That is something that I still can't do.

I remember that transition time for me as the worst time of my life. I do hope you have good support around this and I hope you have confidence that this can get better. I hope you are getting good treatment.

Good luck.

-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=013935

Topic: Resources for getting Disability, Insurance, dealing with HMOs etc

-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-

About your job. I don't know about help in Calif. but, for SSD, one has to wait so many months after loss of job due to disability before even applying for SSD.

If there is any way you could do all (or some parts) of your job - with accommodation, by law, your employer is required to work with you.

And, if there is anyway to continue working even part-time, without it harming your healthy, I can't tell you how rewarding that might me. The isolation of illness is really hard.

If you can't work at all - you will need notes from your employer to verify all that. I got fired because I could no longer do the job (several different jobs in a row, actually). So, that serves as verification. Still, if there is some way to make this work, that would be so great. A place for naps - working from home - co-worker team, etc? A change in environment such as lamps vs. overhead lights, etc.?

You might talk with an advocate who knows all about the ADA (American's Disability Act) - or whatever dept. that would be.

And, if you can't continue at all, would there be some way you could still be on a committee - or included in, say, one lunch or one meeting a week or once a month ?

If you like your job and want to return to that or a similar one, I urge you to stay connected somehow, if you can. If not, of course, that is understandable.

-

mandy614
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16524

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mandy614     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was told by the social services office where I lived in CA that Medi-cal waits on SSDI approval. This can take years. I've been waiting a year. I wasn't able to recieve any health benefits so I had to move back in with my parents in MD and have applied for medicaid. CA does have a state disability plan for people who have worked a certain amount of time, but I never worked there. You might consider trying this route while you file for SSDI.

Good Luck

Posts: 348 | From maryland | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mandy614
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16524

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mandy614     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Forgot to mention go to social services office for Medi-cal, cash assistance, food stamps. Go to social security to file for SSDI.
Posts: 348 | From maryland | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tracy9
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 7521

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tracy9         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have you googled to find your answers? I found answers to all my questions about benefits by googling and it led me to all the sites in my state that gave all the necessary information.

Also, have you tried calling your local offices to ask questions? I'm sure there are representatives to talk to you.

--------------------
NO PM; CONTACT: [email protected]

13 years Lyme & Co.; Small Fiber Neuropathy; Myasthenia Gravis, Adrenal Insufficiency. On chemo for 2 1/2 years as experimental treatment for MG.

Posts: 4480 | From Northeastern Connecticut | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 4 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
check my newbie links, and print off pages 114 - 150 ... to the end! read it over and over and use connie mc's forms to have SUPORTIVE drs. complete them. good luck.

know nothing about calif. other programs!

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kam
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 3410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I applied for SSDI.

I got SSI and mediCal.

I had an attorney but when I questioned his office about things their answer was to do a 3 way phone consult with the SS office.

I recall it took a long time.

I wrote letters to public officials.

One called 6 months after I sent the letter.

I received a call shortly after that asking me to come into the SS office.

I believe the paper work was done over the phone or on line..sorry I can't recall.

The paper work to get things started.

I was working for the state of CA at the time.

I had been working since I was 16 years old.

But, since the state did not take out SSDI for teachers at the time I was not approved for SSDI.

I was told they go by your work history for the past 10 years.

I had been in college and then had just started working for the state when lyme and company hit for a year and a half. Didn't have enough credits the past 10 years I was told.

I was told it was better that I got mediCal instead of medicare as they would provide medications without cost.

(but getting drugs is very limited. Most are not approved by medicaid/medical)

I know some people in CA who have both. not sure how that works.

Medicare and medical taht is.

RE: Cobra. I tried finding out about that too and got no where except was told about the $800 fee.

Since I went from an income of $50,000 in 2001 to no income that was out.

I was pretty much too sick to really do much to find things out.

Or find a person to help me out.

We learn that we have a lot of skills that we took for granted that others just don't have after we become sick.

If you have the ability just keep knocking on doors. I find one person will say one thing and another another thing in the same office.

My phone skills and reading skills were pretty much gone.

so, I did what I could via laying down at the keyboard. Creating a sentence back then was most miss too.

Posts: 15927 | From Became too sick to work or do household chores in 2001. | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smiles132002
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7949

Thanks fo all the info. I quit my job because I could no longer work. That's why people go on disability and why we have it.

I am on California State Disability which is different then SSDI. I am also eligable for Medi-Cal according to what I've read, however no one that handles that is returning my calls.

My employer was very awesome. I have a job if I ever want to go back and I have no need to worry from that end.

As for SSDI, I have to be on State Disability for a year before I can qualify.

I am also hoping I am eliable for HIPP which would cover my $800 cobra cost, but haven't been able to get through to anyone on that yet.

It's takes loads of times dealing with these people and it's very overwhelming!!!!!!!!!!!

Good luck to anyone who has to go through this BS

Lindsay
e-mail me at [email protected] instead of PM

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement