LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Does Lyme and Co. Damage Teeth?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Does Lyme and Co. Damage Teeth?
Silverwolf
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 9196

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Silverwolf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi <<<<< Lymer Family >>>>>,

A few weeks back I lost part of a tooth [left side upper back] and filling,it hasn't particularly pained me. And I've been waiting for better financial situation to get it fixed.

Now tonight, I lost part of a filling on the bottom left, the second in from the back. This one hurts.

I had to have a right lower tooth repaired when we were just finding out about Lyme.And then had lost the upper right back one about four years ago [it wouldn't hold a filling anymore].

I sometimes forget to brush my teeth at night if really really weary,but I do try to be careful, to keep them fairly well brushed.

So does any one else have problems w/ the teeth/ fillings breaking? Most of mine have been the fillings, but the upper left some of the tooth broke off also.

And most of my tooth problems have been on the right,after an injury in high school. My back uppers and lowers on both sides of mouth have had to be filled in the past.

Maybe the teeth are just needing to be re-filled? Last fillings on left side were about a decade back.

Do most dentists do non-amalgams now,for a reasonably low price? I am going to have to find a way to get this problem repaired.

We do have 'Dental Free Clinic',but any surgeries would have to be done by an oral surgeon. Hoping I can just get a couple of fillings repaired w/o extractions or having to have teeth capped.

Any of y'all had recent experiences w/ tooth trouble?

Thanks for any input, I am such a chicken w/ dental stuff ,especially now.

Just the Silverwolf...needing dental work on me poor fangs.

--------------------
2006,May-August2006 Dx w/ Lyme/Bartonella/White Matter Lesion Disease on Brain.
[ Clinical Dx w/ two positives and several IND's on the tests from Igenex ], Prior Dx of CFIDS/CEBV 1992, and FMS '93-'94
Diabetes*2 Dx 10/'08

Posts: 3581 | From SE Idaho | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
bonny, i don't know but sent a friend your link for their input to you! you poor thing...

MURPHY'S LAW needs to leave you 2 alone now; you've been plagued with enough crap! [toilet]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
disturbedme
Member # 12346

Icon 1 posted      Profile for disturbedme   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've had really weird, unexplainable teeth issues since this illness took hold.

My teeth feel loose once in a while. Like loose enough to 'wiggle' with my tongue/fingers. Not extremely loose wiggling, but still some wiggling nonetheless. Very scary for sure. I'm only 25. And they aren't loose ALL the time. It seems to come and go. I can go a few weeks without noticing it and then I'll have a few days or a week where it'll be back where my teeth move and feel loose.

I've had them looked at by two dentists who say they are fine and don't notice them moving (and I have healthy teeth/gums so it's not due to gum disease)... so I am left to think I'm crazy again. I've been told that maybe I am more sensitive to it so I feel it more obviously than most people.

All I know is that it's VERY freaky....

--------------------
One can never consent to creep when one feels an impulse to soar.
~ Helen Keller

My Lyme Story

Posts: 2965 | From Land of Confusion (bitten in KS, moved to PA, now living in MD) | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stymielymie
Member # 10044

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stymielymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
as you get older the blood supply to the teeth decrease significantly.
this makes the teeth more brittle ,and teeth with large fillings will tend to break or crack where
large fillings are more than a third of the width of the tooth.
they also break on pressure bearing surfaces
inside upper and outside lower.
bicuspids crack the most since they are like half formed molars and will crack right down the center even without a filling in them.
many dental schools have low fee fillings and also some dental assistant training programs in
big schools.
other than that you might just be honest with a dentist you might know from the past and ask him for a discount, many dentist will do this if asked and you are not financially able.

docdave

Posts: 1820 | From Boone and Southport, NC | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Theresa
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 421

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Theresa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I first got lyme 10 years ago, even before I was diagnosed I lost 2 teeth to root canals because of pain. I realize now that I probably didn't need that done. The pain I believe was from the lyme. It gets in my sinuses all the time...the ears...why not the teeth. I did have articles on it back then ... I will try and find them. I am relapsing now after being good for 4 years. I have a particular tooth that hurts...comes and goes. I'm just going to leave it alone. I also had to redo work and had teeth pulled 10 years ago. I wasn't good to begin with...so any loss of teeth now will result in dentures...I'm 59. God Bless Theresa
Posts: 479 | From nj | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
astriapage
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17120

Icon 1 posted      Profile for astriapage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also lost part of my tooth on the upper left side-sounds just like your story.

It is painful-try not to think about it though, because I can't fix it.

Posts: 303 | From Jekyll Island, GA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rambler
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18794

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rambler   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
SilverWolf,

YES!!! My teeth drive me nuts and they have done since I was a kid.

It's the worst! I hope you find relief!!!

I'm in the middle of a root canal, broken filling, needs a crown- maybe another root canal next door. Bla, bla, bla...

Jeeze. Tooth and nerve pain are one of those things that's just almost always present for me. No wonder I'm grouchy. There are so many other things going on, that I don't notice my teeth 'till I slow down a little.

I was wondering about the connection. I don't think (I really don't know) that Lyme is causing my teeth to break down, but I am convinced that Lyme plays a huge part in how much pain and suffering is taking place.

I have used ibuprofin, but it's not enough and it gets to my stomach. I can't take opiates either- they make me barf.

What do you do for pain? That kind of zingy pain?
God help us.

--------------------
Be Well

Posts: 103 | From Out West | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silverwolf
Member # 9196

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Silverwolf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
<<<<< betty',Distrubed', Stymie-Doc', Theresa, Astria', and Rambler >>>>>,

Thanks for the info' and the commiserations. The blood supply decreasing to our teeth and gums,and splitting teeth w/large fillings fits my issues.

My back teeth have been a problem since I was a kid.And we unfortunetly had an unscrupuluos dentist as children,that didn't help.

He was one of those guys that was,ah, fill that back tooth,nope,they don't really need it,but the city insurance will pay. That didn't help, my sis'es teeth are really awful,poor gal.

I've had dentists look at the work in the past and get upset,but what can one do? They did what they were able to to help!

I've learned to appreciate good dentists,since all this. I still am a huge chicken-Wolf when it comes to me fangs tho'.

I hurt so much already,it just drives me up the wall...noise,bright lights, pain,needles etc. I am always relieved when any dental work is over.

But a good dentist does help,just wish I could get over being such a 'fraidy cat.

Thanks for the input,and tho'ts from

Silverwolf 'Fraidycat Chicken!

--------------------
[ Clinical Dx w/ two positives and several IND's on the tests from Igenex ], Prior Dx of CFIDS/CEBV 1992, and FMS '93-'94
Diabetes*2 Dx 10/'08

Posts: 3581 | From SE Idaho | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sheryl777
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17804

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sheryl777     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My dentist remarked on how many of my teeth were cracked since he last saw me six months prior. The hygienist cleaned my teeth and my gums really hurt after that.

I bought some Listerine and gargled and the gum irritation went away. I'm sure it was the spirochetes in my gums and the Listerine killed them. The relief was immediate.

Sheryl

Posts: 258 | From Spokane, WA | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silverwolf
Member # 9196

Hey <<<<< Sheryl >>>>>,

I was just thinking about Listerine,my grandmother used to use it. And sometiems Dr. Tischners rinse also.

We were hoping to get into the free clinic dental center here,but txC called today and there is an 8 month waiting list. So thats not gonna happen.

Will update when we find a place that'll take me.

Jus the Silverwolfy trying to keep me fngs from falling out!

--------------------
Diabetes*2 Dx 10/'08

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement