LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Diagnosed With Dysautonomia

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Diagnosed With Dysautonomia
ugagal
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18471

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ugagal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My LLMD recently diagnosed me with Dysautonomia.

This seems to explain my episodes of tachycardia and difficult to control blood pressure.

Also, I find it very difficult to stand for longer than ten minutes at a time. If I attempt to stand longer, I get very lightheaded and dizzy.

Does anyone else have this disorder and is so what have you found to help?

--------------------
My comments on this site are not intended to be taken as medical advice as I'm not a physician.

Posts: 206 | From Georgia | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MY3BOYS
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17830

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MY3BOYS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
your not alone!!! i have had major prob. with

this too!! has actually gotten progressive since

sept, even before lyme tx. LLMD told me increase

salt intake (sea salts, pure salt) or try to

find salt talblets-- using a frech sea salt, cant

find the salt tab. yet and usually have help here

but 2 wks on my own so cant go to too many

places- not at grocery stores, pharacies or GNC.

also said get good suppport hose, lilke the ones

from medical supply store. you will need to

measure your thigh. to get right size.

also, dont be up for long, and if standing still

raise up on ball of your foot, then down, and

up, and so on. this increases venous return and

helps. i also cant bend over or get dizzy and

things start to go black..scary. my heart rates

goes from 85-165 or even in 180's at rest. if

i am up and moving around pulse gets high, i

sweat like you wouldnt believe and get very

short of breath now too. so, i have put the

kids on "pick-up" duty so i dont bend, i have

to change positions slowly. I pretty much have

issues with Central, periphearal and autonomic

nervous system. LLMD told me just because my

case is advanced and affecting several parts of

brain, was on immuno-suppressing meds for yrs.

even while was getting worked up i was on big

dose of prednisone and methotrexate, had about

5-6 wk of testing for MS and other neuro. (like ALS) before found out i had lyme.

neruo and LLMD are vauge about prognosis of this

resolving, other doc that is one of PCP- she was

in studies about lyme 20 yr ago, and she is one

who found it goes into the nerve cell and causes

demylination right in front of her eyes, so her

prognosis is that i will prob. have LOTS of

neruo. deficiets even after tx well. she feels

horrible for missing the dx., was seeing her for

3 yr now for knee pain, everything made worse,

now she gets the connections. but, she said

hopefully some issues will improve but the damage

already done will take forever to repair, the

re-growth of nerve/mylin is very slow. i imagine

you have prob. had this for very long time as

well. try salt, hose, and pumping legs up and

down, and dont bend over, change positions

slowly--i say the alphabet in my head or a

prayer, then move. i know my b/p drops 30-40 mmhg

from sit to stand. so take your time

--------------------
i am not a Dr. any info is only for education, suggestion or to think/research. please do not mis-intuprest as diagnostic or prescriptive, only trying to help. **

dx in 08:lyme, rmsf, bart, babs, and m.pneumonia.

Posts: 422 | From TX | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ugagal
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18471

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ugagal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I will definitely try the tips you mentioned.

Will the salt be bad for my already high blood pressure?

My LLMD seems to think I will have some improvement with this once I begin treatment.

It amazes me how Lyme seems to have such a negative impact on so many different body systems.

--------------------
My comments on this site are not intended to be taken as medical advice as I'm not a physician.

Posts: 206 | From Georgia | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MY3BOYS
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17830

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MY3BOYS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
go with your MD advice on the salt,. my b/p

runs low. 104/60 sitting then drop to 84-50 or so

standing, if higher when sitting then drops more

when i stand..hope that makes sense?? the other

things would be good though. just a by thought--

the mo. before told me to add salt, he added

vit c at 3000mg daily when changed tx to iv rocphin and mepron/zith for babs..just a thought

seems kinda similar to the salt/c stuff but

mine originated from LLMD for different reasons

--------------------
i am not a Dr. any info is only for education, suggestion or to think/research. please do not mis-intuprest as diagnostic or prescriptive, only trying to help. **

dx in 08:lyme, rmsf, bart, babs, and m.pneumonia.

Posts: 422 | From TX | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymepool
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15827

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymepool     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My child has babesia and has the POTS (Postural Orthostatic Tachychardia Syndrome) version of dysautonomia. (LLMD said that dysautonomia is common in tick illnesses.) Blood pressure is low and drops further when sitting or standing up. The hearts starts to race (tachychardia) to try to get the blood pressure up.

There are several different versions of dysautonomia. The best explanation I've seen is at this link Definition for Dysautonomia

There are several different drug treatments, but the first approach seems to be an increase in salt and an increase in fluids. (Gotta make sure there is enough blood to actually pump!) Human beings are basically hydraulic driven [Big Grin]

Hope you feel better soon!

Posts: 170 | From New Jersey | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Capa
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18930

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Capa   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have had vertigo for nearly a year now and it rarely goes away. I have also had issues with low blood pressure, orthostatic hypotension, slow pulse, etc.

My mother believes that I have POTS but I haven't been "diagnosed" with it yet. What type of Doctor typically diagnoses this?

--------------------
Lisa D

Posts: 103 | From MA | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ugagal
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18471

Lymepool,

Thanks for the informative link.

What you described sounds like what happens with me. Also, my blood pressure can be unpredictable.

--------------------

Geneal
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 10375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geneal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A Tilt Table test is used to diagnose POTs.

A cardiologist should be present.

I have POTs and NMH.

I take florinef for the POTs.

It does help ease some of the symptoms.

However, I have good and bad days with them.

Lots of fluid. Try drinking a glass of water

Before getting out of bed.

Hugs,

Geneal

Posts: 6250 | From Louisiana | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymednva
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 9098

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymednva     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have dysautonomia also. When I first was dx'd my LLMD called it "profound." I have been treating it with florinef, proamatine and a beta blocker, and that helps a lot.

Recently it has worsened, and I have been seeing his associate, who isn't as well versed in treating it as he is. I see him again in two weeks and it's at the top of my list for discussion.

--------------------
Lymednva

Posts: 2407 | From over the river and through the woods | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
glm1111
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 16556

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glm1111     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A note on the salt. Real salt is excellent sea salt.

We also need salt for adrenal support and it is a natural broad spectrum antibiotic.

Also a great source of minerals.I buy it from Vitacost 1 800 381-0759

--------------------
PARASITES/WORMS ARE NOW
RECOGNIZED AS THE NUMBER 1 CO-INFECTION IN LYME DISEASE BY ILADS*

Posts: 6418 | From philadelphia pa | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ugagal
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18471

Thanks for all of the suggestions and ideas for helping me with one of the more disabling aspects of Lyme.

I do take a beta blocker but it does not seem to be helping to control all of the symptoms.

I will definitely be asking my LLMD about adding Florinef and sea salt to my treatment protocol.

You guys are great!

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement